Center or side stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center or side stand?

When I had my GS back in the 70's I immediately removed the center stand. You know .. I had to shave lbs so I could go maybe 400 miles per hour and it was an anchor. LOL

Now that I am an old dude I wouldnt think of removing such a handy feature but it got me thinking ..

Do you park your bike on the center stand or on the side stand? I always just use the side stand if I park in a lot or short term but when I put it away over night or I know its going to sit for a week I always hoist it up on the center stand. I figured with the AZ heat it might be a good idea to get the weight off the tires and something about the gas sloshed over to one side in the bowls ... well I know its stupid ... but it just seems better they are nice and level. I dont ride every day. I probably go out twice a week.

So do you use your center stand at all?

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
    So do you use your center stand at all?
    Same here. In the garage yes every time the 850 is parked it's on the center stand. Out and about typically I just use the side stand. I like just walking up and checking the oil level, setting my helmet on the rear rack without it slipping off and like you keeping tires off the ground. Someone mentioned the oil settling to one side and I though since oil pressure is so low, keeping oil evenly dispersed in the head during start up is a good thing and besides it couldn't hurt. Easier to get around it in he garage too. Many reasons to use it but only one reaon not to, laziness.

The KLR came with an aftermarket center stand that I removed. It bolted to the front foot peg mounts and was likely to trash the threads over time. Also reducing ground clearance and just impossible for one person to hoist it up anyway, so it's off.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Always parked on centerstand at home- otherwise kickstand...but you can do without an integral centre-stand with various accessories...
      Long term. I would not leave a bike on sidestand...have a theory that steel in springs creep and thereby sag over a period of time.. . Long term I would block up the front too to keep the front wheel light.

Comment

Your thinking is sound. For long term if you leave it on the side stand your oil all moves to one side. Same with the fuel that would have stabilizer in it for long term storage.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I park on the side stand for most of the riding season unless I'm wrenching, then it's up on the center stand. Ditto for when I store it for the winter.

My Triumph didn't have a center stand so when I stored it for the winter I stood it in a Harbor Freight stand with a wheel chock. I tied it to the stand with ratchet straps to keep the bike upright. It didn't take any weight off the tires but it took the strain off the side stand and kept the fluids level.

Comment

Center stand always, bikes have a way of falling over on me. I use the side stand to hold the bike up while I get off and put it on the center stand.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The way my garage is currently packed makes it pretty much impossible to get the 650 up on the centre stand without smoking my head on the canoe, so right now, while I am still riding, it rests on the sidestand. However, if I can put it up on the centre stand, that's usually how it is parked.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Side stand when out and about, center stand when parked in the garage or driveway. My shock is old and likely sagging and the bike doesn't lean as much as I'd like when on its sidestand. Its generally fine, but my concern is if one of my kids decided to climb on and sit on it while on its sidestand, I worry that it could fall.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Always use the sidestand. Only use the centerstand if changing oil or a tire or chain. I would use the centerstand if the bike was going to be in storage or not used for a week or so. In the 14 years I've had the B12, the longest it has not been taken out and run has been two days. LOL
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When I was riding in NM, it was always on side stand...except when I brought it into my apartment. I had loads of time to myself so cleaning all the nooks kept me occupied in the evening.

My "T" has been sitting since July 2014 but has been in garage on center stand. The tank and carbs are off and thankfully no oil leaks.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Ditto on centerstand at home and sidestand out and about.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Center stand in garage cuz takes less floor space and easier to walk around.
                        and for definitely for longer storage. And sometimes when out n about when if need to
                        we loading or strapping on much. Short term parking when out and about is side stand.

other comment: if put on side stand then put up on centerstand, do retract the sidestand. Else might ride off with the side stand down.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If you always use the sidestand and your fuel tank is not full you leave an exposed edge seem of the tank. That's why they all rust through there...
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X