Speaking of center stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of center stands

Boriqua's question about side or center stands reminded me of something I wanted to ask. Is there a trick to getting a GS up onto the center stand? On a level surface I just can't rock the bike up onto it. I have to run the front tire up onto a board or paver that's at least an inch and a half thick before I can get the bike up on the stand.

With my old 450 I could step on the peg on the side of the stand, lift the handlebars, and rock the bike back onto the stand in one motion. But not with the 750. Am I missing something?

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OMG,

This question has been asked...look at all the references!

For me, (since I have bad knees) using a cut to length (10 inches) 2 X 4, I do what you said and push it on the wood then pull back on center stand. So much easier!

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

dont lift it, use your foot. Andif ure struggling maybe ure shocks too short/compressed. tyres low profile or your too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
          .................., lift the handlebars, and rock the bike back onto the stand in one motion. But not with the 750. Am I missing something?
          Missing something...?
          Dont use handlebars to lift/pull.
          One hand on bars just to steer and keep bike upright while get both centerstand feet on the ground.
          Other hand on the grabbar (or other) near/under back of seat. Pull Up on back of bike while stepping down on the lever on the center strand.
          Are other details, but I am pointing out the big difference/differences from what you described.

Last edited by Redman; 12-12-2017, 06:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Like the others have said .. its more foot downward than lift. I hold on to the bars and grab hold of the grab bar but I use very little upper body. Its mostly just to steady the bike and align the two legs of the center stand. Its best to make sure both feet are on the ground even before you start the push. So long as I give the grab bar a bit of a jolt to get it moving it all pivots on my downward foot pressure.

Comment

Ugh!

Stepping down with your foot is what hurts my right knee. Now, leaning the bike backwards is easier when the front tire is elevated.

I cringe when I see the video that shows the amount of foot pressure needed to lift the bike.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks folks! But what is this "grab bar" I keep hearing about?

Comment

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

frame grab handle.jpg
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My GS450 is super easy to get up on the center stand and I would always do it while ON the bike. When I got my GS750 I couldn't figure out how to get it until I did it OFF the bike. I put it down with my right foot while wiggling it to make sure it's level, then put weight on the stand, lift using the grab bar with my right hand and nudge it backwards with my left.
                    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550
                    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                      Thanks folks! But what is this "grab bar" I keep hearing about?
                      Are you pulling our leg?

The grab bar is located next to the seat situated around the back end of the seat.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

1978 GS750 grab bar

Looks like this!20170603_131108.jpg

Mounts at the shock and the frame.
                        Ron
                        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Are you pulling our leg?

Ed
                          The grab rails are removable on some models (previous owner might have removed)?

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                            The grab rails are removable on some models (previous owner might have removed)?
                            I'm not trying to be condescending...I've only been riding since 2011 and owned my "T" since 2013 so I'm being genuine about my comment.

These vintage bikes are known to have grab rails...it's an education for all who get involved with these bikes.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                              Ah, I think I understand now. My bike has an aftermarket sissy bar that was installed by a previous owner and part of the frame for that covers the grab bar. (Or maybe replaces it. I'll have to look.) I've been on the fence about removing it; sounds like it needs to go.

Thanks folks!

Comment

Working...
                              X