Thinking of getting an Aerostich R3 1 piece suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of getting an Aerostich R3 1 piece suit

Last year on a trip with my son, we rode 120 miles in the rain at 45 degrees. I had on a lined textile jacket with rain jacket over it, and and a set of waterproof motorcycle pants and shoes. But the end of the ride, I was completely soaked and frozen (except for my head, thanks to my full face Shoei). I stood in the shower for 30 minutes to thaw out. Next year we are planning to head north (Vermont, NH, Maine and hopefully a brief foray into Canada). To avoid a repeat of this year trip, I've been looking into the Aerostich R3 suit. One of my motorcycle instructors had one and absolutely raved about it. With the R3 I'd have to add some clothes to stay warm in colder weather, but supposedly absolutely waterproof. Their are bloody expensive but hoping to find a lightly used one.

Anybody have experience with these suits, or suggest an alternative?

Mark

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece, the main difference is that the RC is lined and the RS is not.

Here's a few quotes from a recent FB discussion:

Roadcrafter is lined. R3 comes in 2 flavors, regular and light. I have the regular version which is what I would recommend.

I just got an R3 a couple months ago. It’s pretty damn good. Fairly bulky and it takes some getting used to. Particularly around the shoulders as the padding gets in the way of the helmet for me. I hear if you get the rotated shoulders it solves that. Worth the money IMO as long as you don’t mind looking stupid everywhere you go.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles on my Stich and love it. During the winter, a base layer, turtleneck, a heated vest and I am cozy down to the twenties. Over a hundred degrees can be uncomfortable when you stop. Ok while moving.

Both are GoreTex and are made of the same laminated shell.

Both have the same armor and pockets.

R3 has magnetic collar hold downs which are unavailable on the Classic no matter how nice you ask or how much you pay. Best I was able to do was get them to add snaps to the collar on my Classic.

Classic is easier to put on because of the slippery liner. The liner also provides a slight amount of added warmth, though it is not intended as insulation. It's merely there to make the suit easier to slip on, and to prevent it from wrinkling a formal suit (like, if you're an attorney or whatever).

R3 weighs a little less, and wears cooler in the summer.

Classic will probably last longer because the liner protects the GoreTex membrane from your clothes, grime and the Velcro holding the armor. Tarek nearly wore through the GoreTex in one spot where the back protector Velcro contacted and rubbed. I've since added an extra piece of Velcro to cover that spot and prevent further damage, and did the same to my own R3 after discovering the issue.

R3 has better main zippers. It also has a helmet or key holder carabiner inside the left chest pocket, comes with chest protector or insulation pad Velcro, and does not come with any interior pockets. Classic has an interior pocket on the right side.

There is also the Light version which is made from 500d cordura in impact zones and 200d cordura for the main body. The standard suits are made from 1000d and 500d and those numbers basically represent the difference in thickness of the fabric. My friend Sean MacDonald got an R3 light to review because he writes for Cycle Works, even after I warned him he would get cold, and that it wouldn't protect him as well as a standard, and after about three months of riding in it he told me he regretted his decision and missed my Classic (he borrowed it for a few months while I was healing up from a crash).

If you're going to buy one, there's three ways to do it: get sized at a pop-up event, have your roommate (probably one of the most qualified people ever) measure you and then talk on the phone with Aerostich to determine sizing and mods, or buy a used one that doesn't fit so well and see how you like the concept before pulling the trigger on a custom suit.

Expect to pay about $1600-1800 for a custom suit with every option you want, in the colors you want, or $300-800 for a second hand suit.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I agree that all you need is a Stich, basic layers, electric vest and gloves and you can handle down to freezing with no problem.

I wear a base layer, fleece pants and jacket under mine, plus the electric vest and gloves. I rode for hours in 40 degrees, heavy rain and 40 mph winds in MT.

Stayed warm and dry.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I rode an entire winter in my youth, using a standard snowmobile suit. It was fine, and I have a hard time thinking about those really expensive riding suits. Maybe they are better, but it can't be by much.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the collective wisdom of GSR.

Comment

Working...
          X