X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volt meter/usb charger

buying one like this

voltusb by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

we use them on the gas golf carts at work and while the flap is closed it is indeed water "proof"

wondering if anyone has installed somthing like this on their gs as a permanent fixture. i need the usb charger for my bike, and figured if i can monitor the bikes charge state while on trips thatd be nice too.
    im thinking next to the key up on the triple, or under the seat might be better. not sure yet. its about 2 1/4 inches deep but you still need wires going to it so gotta add for that, the diameter is about the same as a US quarter.
    I build Pipers

I seen this one come in on a couple of bikes. It mounts on the handle bar has two USB ports and you can find them in blue, red and green led.

GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I was looking at those as well, not sure about mounting space though. I just ordered a cellphone mount aswell
      I build Pipers

Comment

It looks like that mount could be modified and fixed to the gauge cluster.. possibly
        I build Pipers

Comment

That'd be ugly as hell though
          I build Pipers

Comment

I forgot you installed clip ons.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Me too....
              I build Pipers

Comment

I helped install one like in the first post, but with a red display. Made a custom-mounted box that attached inside the gauge cluster so it could be removed with no damage. Looked a little hokey, but it's where the other guy wanted it. The display looked OK inside the shop, but was very hard to read in daylight. Probably about right for night-time riding.

My personal favorite location is in the fairing, but I don't think I would be able to convince you to hang one of them on the front of your bike just to have a place to put a voltmeter.

I have not worried about a "phone" charger (yet). I don't use it for navigation and can't make or receive calls while on the go, so battery use is minimal. It certainly lasts all day.
                I will, however, probably work up some sort of charger in the tank bag for longer trips. I have my battery tender wire that comes up between the tank and seat,
                it won't take much to extend a pigtail from the tankbag to plug into it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Haha, if i did.. it would be an xr69 fairing... i need the charger mostly because my gf lives an hour south of me and going there after work i like my music so need to charge my phone since i cant at work
                  I build Pipers

Comment

I planned to install a similar one – but after I've seen how butt-f$kc!ng ugly they look anywhere visible on the bike I abandoned those plans.

For your use case, I'd recommend to get a cheapo USB power bank instead. Less $$$, less work, better looking bike, can be used for other things as well.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

here is a busted one off of a customers cart... not the same, but same size

20171228_121020 by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

20171228_121026 by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

20171228_121107 by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

could easily make an aluminum bracket that bolts to the riser on the triple..
                      what do yall think? i have the one from the original picture at work, can be had for 5 dollars.
                      I build Pipers

Comment

maybe notch out the riser cover a little
                        I build Pipers

Comment

I just installed this usb charger on my 750: https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-060...+charger&psc=1. Inexpensive at $10. It has a small foot print, 3.1 amp output, and is fused. You can see it just under my speedometer. I am running separate voltmeter though (Koso), just under the center of my bars.
                          IMG_0720.jpg
                          Regards,
                          Jason

Comment

IMG_0722.jpg
                            better shot, cover open
                            Regards,
                            Jason

Comment

Dang i like that..
                              I build Pipers

Comment