Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stamped 1979 -Australia with id # 12708* is a GS850 GT ?? any clairvoyant types know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamped 1979 -Australia with id # 12708* is a GS850 GT ?? any clairvoyant types know

Hi and appreciate your time.....

Motorcycle in Australia with id # 12708* is a GS850 GT ?? so says my manual??.... any clairvoyant/knowledgeable types know how to read VIN numbers?? with a bit more depth and perception??

Just spent the last couple of days learning and trying to understand/fix my recently acquired for cheap GS including the wiring system. Once I finally got bike fired up, I decided it was time to try and start getting it ready to get registered. So the bike came with wrong clocks, no gear indication.... slow blinkers..... no park lights...no brake lights... (no brakes for that matter which I have front half fixed, waiting for rebuild kit at moment for back half) ... no licence light.....no horn.. you get the idea.. having a badly wired up set of wrong clocks with extra wires left in the harness is throwing me off a little.

To aid in the process, I am reading the manual and wiring diagrams.

I blew up my wiring diagrams on the home printer.... could not follow the manual small print.... without getting a headache... or confused...

Had to buy a $3 magnifying glass to confirm colours or gears etc.... baaahhhhhhuuummmbuuggg

I know the differences are small but I hoping a local can fill me in on peculiarities of the GS850 ... I notice gear wiring is slightly different colour codes... US model doesn't have kill switch?? I saw some models had side stand check indicator??

you guys rule!!

thanks
    IMG_1154.jpg

Just realised it also has had the turn signal control unit cut off???/ whats it do and why cut it off???

Comment

Have a look in here

Turn signal control units did not work well for some owners and they got taken out and two wire flashers fitted.
      The were supposed to auto cancel turn signals.
      Cutting is a bit extreme, there should be a plug.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

someone else might be able to decipher the frame number as to the model year.

A couple other options:
        - you havent mentioned, but maybe the foil tag is still on the steering neck, and maybe it is readable. If so, it will have month & year of manufacture. Late 79 will be a 80 (T) model. And elswwhere on tag has the model name GS850GT, whatever.
        - lot of differences between 79 and 80 model year. Some differences are easy to see.
        79 will have VM carbs (cable on top), ignoition point contacts, solid brake disc, and the most noticable diference is the kick start.
        80 will have CV carbs (diaphram on top), solid state ignition, slotted disc rotors, and no kickstart.
        Other minor difference is the sidepanel emblem, 79 will say GS850, 80 will say GS850G (or GS850L).
        Now, keep in mind, All that I say here is based on my experience with US models.

Have we seen photos of this bike.....? One look at a good photo and many folks here can tell.

When you say "stamped", what specifically do you mean?
        Last edited by Redman; 01-07-2018, 10:04 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman gave you some of the differences between model years, and also mentioned that the serial number would be the ultimate determining factor. Brendan W gave you a link to a list of serial numbers that is rather all-inclusive.

First thing to do in trying to help you would be to determine the model year, because some of the differences in wiring require different solutions. The turn signal system is one of the biggest differences, as well as ignition. For the '79 model year, the 850 used points and condensors to control the current through the coils to make sparks. All of the following years used electronic ignition. The wiring and components were obviously different. All 850s had a self-cancelling system, but the '79 turn signal system was different. I have not had to work on a '79 system, but I think I understand that it will not work at all without the controller, unless you gut the system and basically create two independent systems for left and right. The '80 and later systems would work without the controller, but would not self-cancel. With either system, the flasher relay is VERY unique. You can NOT go down to your local auto parts store to get a replacement that will work with the self-cancelling system. You HAVE to use a Suzuki flasher.

Back to identifying the year: Does your bike have a kick starter? If it does, it's a '79, absolutely no doubt about it. If it does not have a kick starter, there are still idenifyable features that changed from year to year, but you say that some of those features are missing. The absolute best way is to look on the steering neck. On the right side will be the number, heavily stamped in the metal. Is that the number you posted? There should be a bit more that what you posted, would you mind posting the rest? On the left side of the steering neck should be a metal plate attached. It will also have the serial number, along with some other information. Part of that information will include the assembly date in the upper-right corner. It should also show a letter at the end of the serial number. Is that letter an N, T, X, D, E, or F?

As far as easy-to-read wiring diagrams, ... have you been given the keys to our "library"? (<-- click link) On that site, you will find (in the right column) a color wiring diagram for an '80 850. There will be some minor differences between the years for points vs electronic ignition and the different turn signals and the side stand indicator that appeared with the '82 models, but the basics of it are the same across the entire GS line, and I use it as a reference for most of the bikes I work on.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

# 120788 Here is a image of the plate - dated 12/79. No kickstart, which I miss, always prefer to have a kickstart.

IMG_1329.jpg

thanks

Comment

12/79 means it is indeed a 1980 model (last half of the year is next year's model). You will only know it's a G from the shaft drive and any badges on it.

Our lovely compliance plates here don't have model specifics on them, I believe they're stamped to cover the entire model range rather than the individual models but I may be wrong on that. My 450 just says 450 also, no E or S designation so I'm unsure which model it really is, but it's a 10/81 which makes it an 82, and the harness has different colours to the 80 and 81 models, so it can make a big difference. I guessed it's an E based on the wheel colour...

If you want to know parts compatibility, I use Alpha Sports parts fiche and their part number lookup tool to see which other models a part will fit, very handy indeed.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by butterbeatsrecordstore View Post
                # 120788 Here is a image of the plate - dated 12/79. No kickstart, which I miss, always prefer to have a kickstart.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]53681[/ATTACH]
                thanks
                As others and I have said, late 79 will be a 1980 model.
                As others and I have said, no kickstart will be a 1980 model.

Hum... that plate looks different than I was expecting. Is a metal plate rivited in place, with stamped info.
                I was expecting stamped frame number on one side of the steering neck, and on other side a foil sticker with printed info and stamped info that would include full model number.

But anyway, in recent posts, there is your answer: 1980, model number that will see in parts catalog is GS850GT unless it is and L then will be GS850GLT. The T being the model year designation for 1980.

Difference between G and GL: G front axle at botton of schock, flat seat. GL front axle on front of schock, stepped seat. Are other diffences, in fenders and tank and instrumnets, what I listed are only the easiest to describe.
                Again, picture of full bike will be easy to tell.
                All engine parts will be the same.

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Our lovely compliance plates here don't have model specifics on them, .....
                Ah, so is different there.
                Last edited by Redman; 01-07-2018, 11:17 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, that ID plate is a bit different than the ones we get here in the US of A.

Ours aren't blessed by the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board.

Yes, it's an '80. Now the question remains, is it a G or an L (technically a GL)?
                  Real quick indications include:
                  - A G will have the axle under the fork ends, the L will have it in front of the tubes, a few inches above the bottom.
                  - A G will have a 7" headlight in a black plastic bucket, an L will have a 6" light in a chrome bucket.
                  - A G will have a large oval housing with all the gauges within, an L will have individual speedo and tach, with a center module with warning lights and fuel gauge.
                  - A G will have a huge (22L, 5.8 gal.) fuel tank with some crisply-folded edges, an L will have a smaller (13L, 3.4 gal.) teardrop shaped tank.
                  - A G will have handlbars with a modest rise, an L will have bars that are much higher (but these are commonly changed to something more comfortable).
                  - A G will have a rather flat seat, an L seat is definitely a two-level affair.
                  - A G will have some bodywork behind the seat that covers the tail light and a plastic fender, an L has no body work and a chrome fender.
                  - A G will have mufflers that extend almost to the back of the rear tire, an L has shorter mufflers that don't even reach to the axle.

A picture or three of any of these areas will tell a lot.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

whe didnt get many GL over here thankfully.

Comment

They're completely dependent upon that little compliance plate over here too... if you're missing that plate and don't have the appropriate paperwork to prove that yes it has indeed been registered in Australia before, you're in for a world of pain... and with no guarantee you'll ever be able to register it.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks to your help and points of interest between the models.... it must be a GT not GL as it came with the huge tough shaped tank.... the main thing that caught my eye.... the main clue with the nice ducktail covering the rear tail light.

Original Clocks - missing
                        Original Headlight - missing ( replaced with bigger Yamaha one)
                        Original Muffler and flanges - gone walkabout with the clocks and light....
                        as has the turn signal control unit....

seat not sure if its original but I feel it is and it is nice flat thick seat, not the two tiered US styled I have seen online...

I put some flicks in my profile...
                        Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Yep, that ID plate is a bit different than the ones we get here in the US of A.

Ours aren't blessed by the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board.

Yes, it's an '80. Now the question remains, is it a G or an L (technically a GL)?
                        Real quick indications include:
                        - A G will have the axle under the fork ends, the L will have it in front of the tubes, a few inches above the bottom.
                        - A G will have a 7" headlight in a black plastic bucket, an L will have a 6" light in a chrome bucket.
                        - A G will have a large oval housing with all the gauges within, an L will have individual speedo and tach, with a center module with warning lights and fuel gauge.
                        - A G will have a huge (22L, 5.8 gal.) fuel tank with some crisply-folded edges, an L will have a smaller (13L, 3.4 gal.) teardrop shaped tank.
                        - A G will have handlbars with a modest rise, an L will have bars that are much higher (but these are commonly changed to something more comfortable).
                        - A G will have a rather flat seat, an L seat is definitely a two-level affair.
                        - A G will have some bodywork behind the seat that covers the tail light and a plastic fender, an L has no body work and a chrome fender.
                        - A G will have mufflers that extend almost to the back of the rear tire, an L has shorter mufflers that don't even reach to the axle.

A picture or three of any of these areas will tell a lot.

Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2018, 01:52 AM.

Comment

No kick starter?

Straight fork legs?

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by butterbeatsrecordstore View Post
                            I put some flicks in my profile...
                            THis bike?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/album.php?albumid=3450&attachmentid=53574

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...chmentid=53645

Simple look at these photos, can tell by carbs and other that is not a 1979. Is 80 or after.
                            Simple look at these photos, And By the tail piece and the seat and the tank and the front forks; definatly not a GL. Is a G.
                            Add the year designation, will then be listed in parts catalogs as GT, GS850GT.
                            Last edited by Redman; 01-13-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X