Potential Purchase GS700?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential Purchase GS700?

Hi all, I found this thing on craigslist and figured for the price I might as well go take a look. I don't really know much about these models of GS's though. From what I can tell it seems most of the major parts are there. Obviously missing the headlight and I don't know if it is an E or ES model with the front fairing. Missing the ignition cover, turn signals, and airbox. But other than that it seems all the brakes, gauges, engine parts and rest of it is fairly complete. Stupid idea? Worth scooping up? What do you guys think?

The current garage:
    1978 GS750
    1975 GT750M
    1984 CB700SC
    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
    1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Handlebars look like E model height. Big project.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Lot of time and money to make it run and look right...sometimes the “cheap” bikes end up being more expensive than if you just waited and bought a well sorted bike from the get go. If you’re looking for a tough project or a parts donor then go for it, otherwise, I would pass.
      1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
      1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
      Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

I think I'm going to take a look at it and try to buy it unless it looks much worse in person. I figure the factory exhaust is probably worth somewhere near what he's asking for it. If all else fails I can part it out. Something about the body style on these bikes really catches my eye
        The current garage:
        1978 GS750
        1975 GT750M
        1984 CB700SC
        1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Should be enough good parts there to make financial sense if you don't mind parting out--better if you can get it for even less of course. The exhaust is pretty rough looking though so I wouldn't expect much there. Restoration would be too expensive in my view.
          sigpic
          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
            Should be enough good parts there to make financial sense if you don't mind parting out--better if you can get it for even less of course. The exhaust is pretty rough looking though so I wouldn't expect much there. Restoration would be too expensive in my view.
            Since you own one, what is a reasonable price for a 1985 GS700E? I've seen really nice ones listed online for around $4000. But I image a bike with medium to high mileage and some scratches and such would go for around $2500

I just spoke with the owner and he claims to have the headlight and all the front end pieces as well as the side panel and airbox. So it may not be all that unreasonable to restore.
            The current garage:
            1978 GS750
            1975 GT750M
            1984 CB700SC
            1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
              Since you own one, what is a reasonable price for a 1985 GS700E? I've seen really nice ones listed online for around $4000. But I image a bike with medium to high mileage and some scratches and such would go for around $2500

I just spoke with the owner and he claims to have the headlight and all the front end pieces as well as the side panel and airbox. So it may not be all that unreasonable to restore.
              That reminds me to update my signature. I recently sold mine for $2900. It was/is pristine IMO. 6K miles, beautiful paint, very clean, excellent original exhaust, ran perfectly, upgraded R/R so no charging problems going forward. Looking forward to riding sometime with the buyer.

If you really enjoy the process and have plenty of spare time and space...and money, you might consider restoration but you won't be doing it out of any sense of financial practicality. I've seen a few really nice examples of the 700E or ES come up in the last year that would be a much better overall "deal." Since you have a stable of fun bikes, you can be patient if you want.
              sigpic

Comment

Speaking of which, have you looked at this thread?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                  That reminds me to update my signature. I recently sold mine for $2900. It was/is pristine IMO. 6K miles, beautiful paint, very clean, excellent original exhaust, ran perfectly, upgraded R/R so no charging problems going forward. Looking forward to riding sometime with the buyer.

If you really enjoy the process and have plenty of spare time and space...and money, you might consider restoration but you won't be doing it out of any sense of financial practicality. I've seen a few really nice examples of the 700E or ES come up in the last year that would be a much better overall "deal." Since you have a stable of fun bikes, you can be patient if you want.
                  Funny you mention it my CB500 is being picked up tomorrow so I was just browsing craigslist and came across this one. I think if anything it would turn into a mechanical restoration, ride it for a little and enjoy it and then sell it to someone who wants to complete it. That way I won't throw all my money into the bike but still get to enjoy it. If I do buy it i'd be happy to make a thread on the work I do since there doesn't seem to be all that much literature about them.

Also I have not seen the other one but that looks to be a very clean bike for the price
                  Last edited by The1970's; 02-01-2018, 02:33 PM.
                  The current garage:
                  1978 GS750
                  1975 GT750M
                  1984 CB700SC
                  1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Handlebars look like E model height. Big project.
                    Yep. Those are E style bars. Parts bike.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                      Haven't gone to look at any but 700's that look nice on CL in New England sell for $750-$900. Still seems steep when modern used bikes sell for less than $2000 now days.
                      It seems here in Florida all the used bikes go for double what they should . Or maybe they're just cheap everywhere else
                      The current garage:
                      1978 GS750
                      1975 GT750M
                      1984 CB700SC
                      1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Even with an asking price of $300, I would still try to talk him down.

There is a LOT of work involved to get that bike back on the road safely, even MORE if you want to get it to look right.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X