02-08-2018, 11:57 PM
It's been a long day....

Today's work

Clean out the database in prep to the upgrade
Optimize database
Obtain an SSL certificate, install, modify configuration files and test
Update webserver code on virtual server
Update database code
Try to update forum code and database. Fail. More updates of server code done.
Reindex search database. 26.5 million words processed
Remove forum users who haven't logged on in over a year

So there you have it. This should be the last upgrade to the forum software unless some major security issue comes up. Things should be even faster now with the cleanup and updates. Speaking of speed, we have 40 processors on our server. Nice!!

Well time for a shower and bed... :sleeping: Enjoy!

Steve
02-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Thanks, Frank. :encouragement:

roeme
02-09-2018, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the work.

By the way, when's the upgrade planned for vbulletin 5?

cowboyup3371
02-09-2018, 06:58 AM
Sounds like a busy day Frank; thank you for all you are doing

GSXR7ED
02-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Thank you Frank!

Ed

cowboyup3371
02-09-2018, 07:55 AM
By the way Frank, and not to sound like I'm complaining, but it seems that the New Posts function isn't updating like it used to.

administrator
02-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the work.

By the way, when's the upgrade planned for vbulletin 5?

There is nothing there that makes me want it. Version 4 gave me CMS and Blog which I could care less about. I got that version more for the security and usability enhancements. Looking at what version 5 gives you, I don't see anything there we need. The biggest criticism with version 5 is that current users are being used as beta testers to find bugs. For website stability and in order to keep my headaches to a minimum, I'd rather not go there.

Frank

administrator
02-09-2018, 09:14 AM
By the way Frank, and not to sound like I'm complaining, but it seems that the New Posts function isn't updating like it used to.

What do you mean exactly? I just quickly checked it and it looks like it's working.

I should mention that in the previous version of the software we had the CMS and Blog functionality installed. I think there was a tie in between New Posts and all that stuff. When I upgraded I decided to remove the CMS and Blog code since we weren't using it and it just cluttered up things. This "might" have an effect on what you are seeing.

Frank

bccap
02-09-2018, 10:31 AM
What do you mean exactly? I just quickly checked it and it looks like it's working.

I should mention that in the previous version of the software we had the CMS and Blog functionality installed. I think there was a tie in between New Posts and all that stuff. When I upgraded I decided to remove the CMS and Blog code since we weren't using it and it just cluttered up things. This "might" have an effect on what you are seeing.

Frank

When I clicked on new posts a few minutes ago both this thread and the Trump Russia thread were there. Minutes later they were gone and I had to search them. When I went into my settings to search my subscriptions instead of the default of showing my subscribed ones which were in the new new posts, all subscription were listed and they didn't appear to be in order of the latest times they were updated.

bccap
02-09-2018, 10:34 AM
When I made the above post and went back to new posts. The above post was not on the list.........

Baatfam
02-09-2018, 11:21 AM
When I made the above post and went back to new posts. The above post was not on the list.........

I suspect because since you posted it, it wasn't considered "new." Most forum I visit work like that.

bccap
02-09-2018, 11:30 AM
I suspect because since you posted it, it wasn't considered "new." Most forum I visit work like that.

It didn't used to work like that. And I'm seeing posts with earlier time periods but not ones with later ones. { the first one I noticed was Mason's reply on the Trump Russian thread } Interestingly I saw your post under new posts but when I went back to new posts after reading it. It was gone. I had to look under subscriptions to find it and make this reply.........

Baatfam
02-09-2018, 11:41 AM
It didn't used to work like that.

No, it didn't. Before, after looking at a new post, you came back and it was still there but grayed out. Now, after looking at a new post, you go back and it is no longer there, because it is no longer new.

Honestly, I liked the old way better.

bccap
02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
No, it didn't. Before, after looking at a new post, you came back and it was still there but grayed out. Now, after looking at a new post, you go back and it is no longer there, because it is no longer new.

Me too. The other thing that is a bit weird was when I clicked on settings to find this thread and reply there is a list of my subscriptions that don't appear to be in any order. But if I then click on subscriptions it puts them in order.........

trevor
02-09-2018, 12:16 PM

I totally agree! I just had it happen to me....I had looked at a post...then I went back to re read it and it was gone because I had already visited it. That was frustrating.

Baatfam
02-09-2018, 12:34 PM
I totally agree! I just had it happen to me....I had looked at a post...then I went back to re read it and it was gone because I had already visited it. That was frustrating.

On other forums this would be the "unread posts." The other option is usually "new posts" or "latest posts" or "today's posts," which is what we used to have.

NOTE FOR FRANK: If you are following this thread, I am not complaining. I am just processing the transition.:D

administrator
02-09-2018, 02:52 PM
On other forums this would be the "unread posts." The other option is usually "new posts" or "latest posts" or "today's posts," which is what we used to have.

NOTE FOR FRANK: If you are following this thread, I am not complaining. I am just processing the transition.:D

Unfortunately this is in the core of the forum code therefore we're stuck unless I can find a plug-in to turn the behavior back to the way it was. In my copious amounts of free time (Ahem), I'll take a look in the update information to see how they changed things.

Frank

cowboyup3371
02-09-2018, 07:49 PM
So one of the biggest issues I have noticed is that messages read back in January are still showing as unread - this may just be the effect of "database ghosts" and I'll set all forums to read this evening after reading through. I also have the problems that others have said where the post would have shown up in the new posts as read to include my own posts. I'll just get used to how it works

Steve
02-09-2018, 08:16 PM
You can still view "today's posts", but you have to work to get there. :-k

Click the "Forum" tab, then "Quick Links" (in the blue bar). In the window that drops down, select "Today's Posts".

Steve
02-12-2018, 01:33 AM
I just noticed something else that is considerably different.

When doing an advanced search for a username, it still pulls in suggestions after typing in three letters, but all the suggestions are SIDE BY SIDE, instead of a vertical column.

Not sure I can adapt to that one. :-k

Sandy
02-12-2018, 02:03 AM
Just tried it on my android tablet and they are vertical. What OS/ browser?

Steve
02-12-2018, 02:18 AM
Win7, IE 11.

Let me try it with Chrome, see if it makes a difference.

OK, it works with Chrome. :-k

Here is a screenshot of IE:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Tiggrbike/Odds%20n%20Ends/IE%20search_zps5u7czhpw.jpg

And here is a screenshot of Chrome:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Tiggrbike/Odds%20n%20Ends/Chrome%20search_zpslw5hxmcz.jpg

Did the same search. Typed in "ste" and got what you see above.

administrator
04-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Steve, I have found that Google Chrome is the most compliant browser when it comes to supporting the latest HTML/Javascript things. Since I code that way, and so does vBulletin, it's always a good thing to check things out with Chrome if things aren't looking right with some other browser.

Frank