GS1150EF Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150EF Questions

I'm sort of interested in one of these, or at least keeping an eye open.

Like this.

Search millions of new and used motorcycles for sale and research your next cars purchase.

What are they like?
    Any particularly bad points to look for?

Also I like the fully faired bike, is that just the EF model?
    I see some with a sort of half fairing as well?

Thanks
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

They are..... Awesome.
    A bit more buzzy then the 1100s particularly if the carbs are in need of a synch.
    They are big, heavy, and long, but the 1135 mill has loads of grunt. I was never a fan of the clip on handlebar angle. Despite its size, I’ve read of some tall guys feeling cramped while onboard. I’m about 5'8 and it suits me fine.
    I’m still not completely sure of the US / Canadian body differences and corresponding names, but the US got the naked E and the half faired ES. We never got the factory belly pan fairing. You guys did.
    I’ve had mine since ‘99 so feel free to hit me up with any particular questions. I’m glad to help any way I can.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glen has it pretty spot on. I had one for about four years. Liked it quite a bit, but decided to try other machines.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

I had a 85 1150 EFE for 4 or 5 years and about the only thing I can think of is what has already been said. A precise carb balance is critical to having it run smooth as a kitten. Everyone told me the 1150's always had a bit of buzz, but mine never did. Mine ran ran smooth as a sewing machine.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I've had an ES since 98.
          It was the wife's bike, but now she hasn't ridden it since 2010, so I ride it when my bike is being fussed with.
          Can't say I really enjoying riding it, but I doubt I'll get rid of it.
          I call it the pignoramous.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Thanks for all the answers.

I'm beginning to get the idea they're big, and heavy
            How heavy are they?
            What dia. wheels do the have?
            1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
            New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

I seem to recall reading in the 530s for weight. Not sure if that's wet or dry. Oddball 16" front wheel, 17 rear.
              Regarding my earlier comments on the clip ons - the naked bike has higher ones that I didn't mind. The faired bike has lower ones. The height of the low ones didn't bother me, but the (non adjustable) angle did.
              Last edited by dorkburger; 03-01-2018, 09:11 AM.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Glen has it pretty spot on. I had one for about four years. Liked it quite a bit, but decided to try other machines.
                Variety is the spice of life!
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  I seem to recall reading in the 530s for weight. Not sure if that's wet or dry. Oddball 16" front wheel, 17 rear.
                  Regarding my earlier comments on the clip ons - the naked bike has higher ones that I didn't mind. The faired bike has lower ones. The height of the low ones didn't bother me, but the (non adjustable) angle did.

Can the 16" wheel be changed out fairly easily?

I changed the clip ons , on my Katana, to a higher/adjustable type, much better.

Do they have the anti dive units on fork legs?
                  Last edited by johnod; 03-01-2018, 03:39 PM.
                  New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                    Can the 16" wheel be changed out fairly easily?

I changed the clip ons , on my Katana, to a higher/adjustable type, much better.

Do they have the anti dive units on fork legs?
                    The 16" front wheel makes the steering light and responsive. I think you will like it. I would not change it until you put a thousand or so miles on it. In comparison, my 1100 with the large front wheel handled like a truck.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I swapped the forks and wheels for GSXR 1100 stuff. Thanks to that stuff having already been installed on posplayr's 1100, it bolted right up. The triples on that had been modified to accept standard bars, so you can weld on clamps for such if you desire.

Yes, they have anti-dive units.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        I swapped the forks and wheels for GSXR 1100 stuff. Thanks to that stuff having already been installed on posplayr's 1100, it bolted right up. The triples on that had been modified to accept standard bars, so you can weld on clamps for such if you desire.

Yes, they have anti-dive units.

That's interesting, any details, or maybe a thread on this?

Thanks
                        New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

No personal experience with wheel swaps, but over at Old Skool Suzuki, there are many EFs, few are stock. Lots of wheel swaps and more. Seems that a bit of trial and error is involved, but one can end up with modern rubber and better brakes.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Thanks again.
                            New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                              That's interesting, any details, or maybe a thread on this?

Thanks
                              There are quite a few threads on such swaps here.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X