What's It Worth? 1980 GS850GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's It Worth? 1980 GS850GT

Hey Gang. I was hoping to get an idea of what my 1980 GS850GT might be worth? It's been awhile since I've shopped around, so figured you guys/gals would have an idea.

Bike is as pictured, and includes several upgrades, including:

Relay upgrade
    Twin-Pot Brake upgrade
    Fork Brace
    Fairing
    New Tires
    New Bearings
    Progressive Springs
    Heavy Duty Stator/Rectifier Upgrade (Big Harley Unit)
    Waterproof 12V power source tap (two ports)
    Custom Paint and Seat Cover
    All Stainless Brakelines/fittings
    New Head bearing
    Full Carb rebuild and Jetting updates.
    Recently adjusted valves and balanced Carbs.

Bike runs GREAT, and has about 32,000 on it at this point.

I've been considering selling it, as I have another project that I need to focus on, but I'm not really sure. Need to understand what the market looks like for a nice older bike like this.

Would appreciate some serious opinions.

Thanks,
    Darin

Suzuki_001.jpg

Another angle:

Suzuki_007.jpg

Comment

Brake Upgrade:

Suzuki_009.jpg

Comment

Realistically, it's a $1000-1500 dollar bike, not collectible or really even "desirable". These poor 850's, although great machines, fell into that "nowhere land" between the 750's and 1100's and really weren't very popular. I would ask for $1800 and prepare to negotiate down a bit.
        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

That sure is a nice looking 850. I think $1,800 would be a fair amount to expect to get. I would pay that or more because I love these bikes. Nice GS 1100 GK's struggle to sell for less than that. The market is not kind to these bikes it seems.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I'd ask $2500 or so for starters. You can always come down later.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I sold my very nice 20k mile 850 for 1800 last fall, and that was ALL the money. I have an 1100e I would be surprised to get 1k for. Occasionally you see a museum piece that brings good money, but it is not a daily driver. Price it right to start with and the sale will be much smoother.... Tell the lowballers to call back in a month and see if you still have it.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

You don't see bikes this nice anywhere near 100-1500 when you're in the market. If I were I would easily fork out 2000. Take any nice 850 and get it to this upgraded condition, you'll have 3000 in it, plus your time.

Comment

It appears to be very nicely done, but it definitely would have to appeal to that one person that likes that color combination. I like the way it's painted, just not so sure about the colors. It has some other nice additions (brakes, pipe, pods), so price it a bit over $2k, see who bites.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am in agreement with the rest of the crowd, and if I owned it my asking price would be in the $2000 -- $2500 range. As good as it appears to be, I would not let it go for less than 2 Grand. That is unless you really want it gone so you can work on other projects. GLWS.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thanks for the honest opinions, Guys. Honestly, if I couldn't get at LEAST $2000 for it, then it's not going anywhere. Pretty hard to find something this nice for that price...

Comment

I've got an 1100Gl that I'm thinking about putting in a crate for long-term storage to leave to my grandkids. It's a great bike that I just can't stand to let go for the paltry sum it would bring. I have 2 other bikes that get the bulk of my attention and I need more space in my man-cave. I can identify with how you feel but the general public just won't pay much for your bike (as much as it may be worth more) when there are bikes 10 or 15 yrs old that sell for $2K.
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
                          Pretty hard to find something this nice for that price...
                          Ummmm. Not really. Not in the NE USA anyways. I can rattle off a dozen UJM's of that vintage that are better all around bikes than an 850 in every conceivable way, and easily found for 2K or less. That's why my estimate was closer to 1000-1500.
                          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

"Ummmm. Not really. Not in the NE USA anyways. I can rattle off a dozen UJM's of that vintage that are better all around bikes than an 850 in every conceivable way,"

We all have our opinions

Comment

Working...
                            X