Help! I have a sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I have a sickness

For those of you that know me, know I tend to go through motorcycles, showing up almost each year at Brown county with a different bike. My current bike is a 1993 GSX1100G, which I like pretty much, but a Kawasaki ZX11 popped up on craigslist and it is tempting me. I've always loved the looks of those but, at 58 years old, I'm not sure the lean would be conducive to a pleasant ride experience. "Hello, my name is Dave, and I am a bike-a-holic".
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Dave welcome, sorry there is no cure, but we're here for you.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
      For those of you that know me, know I tend to go through motorcycles, showing up almost each year at Brown county with a different bike. My current bike is a 1993 GSX1100G, which I like pretty much, but a Kawasaki ZX11 popped up on craigslist and it is tempting me. I've always loved the looks of those but, at 58 years old, I'm not sure the lean would be conducive to a pleasant ride experience. "Hello, my name is Dave, and I am a bike-a-holic".
      I find a little forward lean is much more comfortable than sitting upright at anything over 30 mph.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sick??? Probably not. If you still owned the bikes in your history list then you might be borderline to some but around here you would probably be just fine.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

(Everyone at once) HI DAVE... Thank you for opening up that you have a problem. The advice I'd like to give you is; Maybe they make Bar Backs for the ZX1100. It might help with the riding position for you. I have them on my FJR and it really puts me in a comfortable riding position. Good luck☺
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Just accept, embrace & enjoy your illness.

You are doing your part in helping to make our consumer-centric society function. We need mass quantities of people buying things they don’t really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              Sick??? Probably not. If you still owned the bikes in your history list then you might be borderline to some but around here you would probably be just fine.
              Owning 12 bikes seems totally fine to me. But owning 12^2 bikes makes you a special case.

After all, who among us drools just a little when they look at this pic of Jay Leno’s collection.

Comment

Ha! Thanks all. Norm, I was thinking about the LSL kit, which I had on my GPZ. That, along with some ZRX bars did the trick. It did, however, cause me to feel somewhat disconnected from the bike at first. After a while, it was "normal".

I always have these dreambikes that I've always wanted, like the GSX1100G. Then, I finally get one, fix it all up and sell it because something else falls on the radar. I guess what they say is true, it's all in the hunt.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Ha! Thanks all. Norm, I was thinking about the LSL kit, which I had on my GPZ. That, along with some ZRX bars did the trick. It did, however, cause me to feel somewhat disconnected from the bike at first. After a while, it was "normal".

I always have these dreambikes that I've always wanted, like the GSX1100G. Then, I finally get one, fix it all up and sell it because something else falls on the radar. I guess what they say is true, it's all in the hunt.
                  I just looked through your list of bikes, it's amazing how our each of our tastes vary. Me I didn't see a bike on your list that I would like. Guess mine would be the GSs from 80-85, mostly the E models. There's couple of 79 models of the 1100G or 1000G that would suit me. I wouldn't mind having something from each brand of bike though
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I call it therapy.
                    sigpic
                    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I'm old, and getting older. I have settled my preferences on older GS Suzukis, preferably shaft, and Moto Guzzi. I like other stuff, but there I am.

Comment

Looks.like I am going to be a ZX11 owner. I put a downpayment on it last night. It is beautiful, almost showroom. I'll have to start doing pushups to prepare for riding season. Funny thing is, I had been considering what it would be like to break down, act my age, and maybe get a goldwing. Then I turn and run after this Ninja. Ha!
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Bah, on a Goldwing. I've test road several generations and felt cramped on every one of them for one reason or another even though they are land barges. Either the foot area or that damn windscreen that looks like it wants to scalp me if I happen to hit something. Well, that's not entirely true, the early naked models felt good.
                          GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You'll love your ZX-11; i have a C model acquired from original owner who parked it 20 years ago w/ 1500 miles on the clock. Usual maintenance and new tires revived her to present glory. Haven't convinced myself to run 'er up to capable 175 yet, but hitting silky-smooth 160 is a snap on local toll roads. Of course, having owned an FZ-1, the power will be no surprise to ya... but man, hearing that whistle of forced air induction is pure music!

I do have a set of 1" bar risers if you're interested. Tried them for about a month, and really didn't feel a difference in ergos. Let me know if you're interested.

ZX11.jpg
                            Last edited by Frank Z.; 03-17-2018, 10:25 AM.
                            '80 GS1000ST
                            '92 ZX-11
                            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Cool... isn’t the ZX 11 the bike that finally ended the GSs long standing dragstrip ET record?
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X