Test Rides when Selling a Bike??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Rides when Selling a Bike??

As I am weighing the decision as to whether or not to part with my bike, I was curious as to how people handle buyers and Test Rides??

Seems to me that you are taking a decent risk in letting a potential buyer just take a joy ride on your bike. Liability, damage to your property, etc...

At the same time, if I'm buying a bike, I'm surely going to want to ride it first.

When selling a bike, how do you all manage this aspect??

Great topic. If I am selling a bike, it is certainly on a case by case basis. I have let most people who have asked for a test ride to do so. One in particular I laughed and said not a chance in hell, and he returned a few days later and bought the bike.

I can't remember the last bike I test rode before buying. In fact, I may have never ridden a bike prior to purchasing and never regretted it.

Comment

I have always test ridden bikes before I bought them, but I can sure understand the hesitation in letting a stranger ride your bike.
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I never buy a bike unless I've done a few wheelies and burn outs on it first. LOL

Comment

I've always test ridden except for the 2001 Bandit which I bought from a guy in Detroit. He met me in Bolling Green Ohio and we moved it from his trailer to the bed of my truck and I took it home. No regrets on that one.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I bought my current bike without a test ride, mainly because it was unregistered and the seller lived on a busy street just down the block from a police station. It started and ran, which was all I was after. I knew from the age and general condition it'd need some work, and I was fine with that. But if was looking for a bike I could ride the day I registered it, I'd insist on a test ride.

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
              I never buy a bike unless I've done a few wheelies and burn outs on it first. LOL
              Hahaha 2nd that!

I do let folks test ride bikes if they want and I will accompany them with one of my other machines. I always have full coverage on all my bikes so if an accident happens I'm covered but I tell folks, you can ride but I need to see the cash they have on hand to cover the expense of the bike just in case. I've never had an issue.

I test rode both Harley's. I didn't test ride any of the bike before that... I bought the TUX right off the showroom floor. I try to do Demo rides of the bikes I'm interested in.

I'll likely buy my next brand new bike without test riding that specific Motorcycle but ride the demo. I test rode my buddies Brand new T120 and LOVE IT. The Z900 is wicked and the RS feels allot like the T120 but with more HP. I already have a meeting set to talk with my local Kawasaki dealer when I get back to VT...

My 2 cents... Test rides are great.
              Last edited by Jedz123; 03-15-2018, 10:52 AM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I've only ever ridden bikes at the stealership. Everything else I've acquired over the years were non-runners so...

Never let people ride outside of the neighborhood for a test.

Comment

If you get to a point where you let them go on a test ride, insist on taking a picture of them and their license with your phone in case they don't return....
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

It's a judgement call for sure. I don't sell many but they are always "working bikes". I have done, "Show up on a bike and I will let you ride it up and down the block". New riders may show up with the friend who is teaching them. Another time, I accompanied a fellow on local sheltered sideroads without any traffic first...Really, I think a ride up and down the block is enough if you offer a gentleman's agrreement that any issue he has riding home (any lie you told him!) will be addressed.
                    But I guess this presupposes you only deal with noble spirits. Here in BC, I think it is best to get a days worth of "Demonstration insurance" rather than allowing them to ride on your insurance as it might put your rates up if there is a problem.

Comment

I knew a guy whose policy was I hold the cash while you take a ride. This would seem like wise insurance right??? Well yes and no. Good policy if ALL the hundreds are real and not the first one or two you look at. Took him for 1200.00 and 6 month later the bike was found down on the Mexico border beat to death and still in his name.

Guys got the bike to run some drugs probably and abandoned it once they blew it up.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have bought the following bikes in the last 6 years with no test ride...and they were all ride worthy

1983 gs1100e
                        1984 gs11550e
                        1988 gsxr750
                        2003 WR400f
                        1981 gs1100e
                        1982 550 Katana
                        1990 DR650
                        2016 DR650
                        2012 K1300R (Brand new...dealer ordered it...never even sat on one. lol)
                        1980 GS1000S (shipped from the US)

Bikes I have test ridden

1980 GS750e (first bike I bought in 27 years)
                        1991 Bandit 400f (Wife's)

Test rides imo are not necessary.
                        No signature

Comment

My policy is they stand and watch as I run it up and down my street for them to see its solid.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I sell about 7 bikes a year... I get maybe 2 test rides tops a year... Never had a poor experience. Generally I sell motorcycles to motorcycle riders... So I almost always get along with the folks just fine.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Here's a question: Would you buy a car without a test-drive? Bikes are simpler for sure but still...
                              The test ride of my GS400 revealed a problem that the seller was probably un-aware of. It was a simple fix-we worked it out in the price. So, conversely, it may follow that I get a better price from a buyer when they ride the bike. Perhaps it is harder for them to dicker when they've ridden it.
                              But like many, I've bought more broken bikes than running ones and the question of a ride doesn't come up.

Comment

Working...
                              X