Bike shopping here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike shopping here

Did a little bike shopping yesterday. Did you know that in the 600 class, all damage to the bodywork is done by the previous owner? I guess it's a rule. If there is no previous owner, then "someone backed into my bike." One ad said "my bike fell over in the driveway" but looking at the picture of the damage, the driveway must have been a quarter mile long and the bike fell over doing at least 30 mph. One bike we looked at had clearly been repainted though the owner denied it and the radiator was connected only by the coolant hoses and the horn was dangling by it's wire connector. No doubt the class is loaded with stunt riders and nitwits so it will take a while to find a bike that has had the rubber down at all times. Fun hanging out with my son though. All worth it.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Stop by the "Craigslist funnies" thread if you want a good laugh. Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah but you can spot some gems out, plastic damage is nominal, it's engine cases and forks to keep an eye out for. I grabbed the FZ6 for cheap which is now under deposit, selling for $2750... If your willing to work past some of the minor nicks and fix them you can get a nice bike for a cheap price! Flip it for a profit!

I'm on the prowl myself, currently have 3 Kawasaki dealers fighting for my business... After the "nightmares" (Yes there were several) in Daytona Beach... I can't drop this Harley fast enough, I got good equity in it and with some capital down I got folks bending back backwards to seal a "winter" deal up here in the North East.

Bike shopping is fun, it's more fun when your getting something that you have no intention on letting go. If my HD didn't let me down every other day I was down there this past 2 weeks I would definitely keep it... I just can't trust the dang thing!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
        Did a little bike shopping yesterday. Did you know that in the 600 class, all damage to the bodywork is done by the previous owner? I guess it's a rule. If there is no previous owner, then "someone backed into my bike." One ad said "my bike fell over in the driveway" but looking at the picture of the damage, the driveway must have been a quarter mile long and the bike fell over doing at least 30 mph. One bike we looked at had clearly been repainted though the owner denied it and the radiator was connected only by the coolant hoses and the horn was dangling by it's wire connector. No doubt the class is loaded with stunt riders and nitwits so it will take a while to find a bike that has had the rubber down at all times. Fun hanging out with my son though. All worth it.
        Yeah, 600's are the novice rider bikes. Expect zero maintenance, run it until it dies mentality and rash and drops if not crashes. LOL Hard to find one that hasn't been abused.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Yeah but you can spot some gems out, plastic damage is nominal, it's engine cases and forks to keep an eye out for. I grabbed the FZ6 for cheap which is now under deposit, selling for $2750... If your willing to work past some of the minor nicks and fix them you can get a nice bike for a cheap price! Flip it for a profit!

I'm on the prowl myself, currently have 3 Kawasaki dealers fighting for my business... After the "nightmares" (Yes there were several) in Daytona Beach... I can't drop this Harley fast enough, I got good equity in it and with some capital down I got folks bending back backwards to seal a "winter" deal up here in the North East.

Bike shopping is fun, it's more fun when your getting something that you have no intention on letting go. If my HD didn't let me down every other day I was down there this past 2 weeks I would definitely keep it... I just can't trust the dang thing!
          If you wanted absolute dependability, you should have taken the B12. She don't break! They ain't strong on farkles and glitz, but they are a battleship for durability. heh
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            If you wanted absolute dependability, you should have taken the B12. She don't break! They ain't strong on farkles and glitz, but they are a battleship for durability. heh
            I know but I have friends in media that wanted to test ride it... I let them sway me and in truth I'm glad to have discovered these mishaps with my truck handy... Can't imagine what I would have done (or who I'd kill) if the break downs happened thousands a miles away from my truck...
            Not upset (anymore), the XR-12 is buried in the back of the shop and the B-12 is primed and ready to be my daily, once winter finally decides to leave... I maybe on a brandy new Kawasaki by the time this weather subsides!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Good points. I think the bike that had been repainted was someone doing a sloppy job of flipping. I'll look a little closer for opportunities. Buying right is the key. My neighbor is a good partner--emotionless negotiator. Sorry about the HD. We stopped by the local HD dealer (open on Sunday) yesterday because my son is going to take his safety course there. Some beautiful bikes but I couldn't find one that really got me excited.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                Good points. I think the bike that had been repainted was someone doing a sloppy job of flipping. I'll look a little closer for opportunities. Buying right is the key. My neighbor is a good partner--emotionless negotiator. Sorry about the HD. We stopped by the local HD dealer (open on Sunday) yesterday because my son is going to take his safety course there. Some beautiful bikes but I couldn't find one that really got me excited.
                I think it's great that HD is trying to get more riders (on their side) with the riding academy. I 'm going to the classes in April. I just hope I have my new bike by then... Experienced rider talking to the Noobs about all the fallacies of HD, while riding HDs at my HD dealer... They can't boot me! I paid!

Good on you for embracing the passion with your son! I was partially responsible on why my Dad got into MCs...

Having a hard negotiator is pinnacle to landing a good deal. I have walked from deals and man they start singing their low offers once you come across as IDGAF and if you don't want my money than fine, someone else will.

Best of luck my friend!!
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I think it's great that HD is trying to get more riders (on their side) with the riding academy. I 'm going to the classes in April. I just hope I have my new bike by then... Experienced rider talking to the Noobs about all the fallacies of HD, while riding HDs at my HD dealer... They can't boot me! I paid!

Good on you for embracing the passion with your son! I was partially responsible on why my Dad got into MCs...

Having a hard negotiator is pinnacle to landing a good deal. I have walked from deals and man they start singing their low offers once you come across as IDGAF and if you don't want my money than fine, someone else will.

Best of luck my friend!!
                  Thank you--so funny too, as IDGAF should be my neighbor's middle name!
                  sigpic

Comment

When my GS850 was brought in, the PO advertised it as "showroom ready". Carbs were crap, air filter shot from old age, wasn't charging, wiring connectors were age corroded and fused. Needed tires and brakes. It was not even close, but the price was right.

Comment

I always thought that 600s were notorious for being squid's bikes.
                      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                      New project 1979 GS1000S
                      Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                        I always thought that 600s were notorious for being squid's bikes.
                        Oh yeah, when my son wanted a bike,he drug me all over town looking at horribly crashed 600s. It was just painful listening to the owners. I got to the point where I'd walk around it, say "thanks" and walk off.

once we looked at the VFR, he knew what a good used bike should look like
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

My nephew just bought a 600 class sport bike...with rash on the fairing. I expect him to wind up on the ground eventually. I showed him a picture of my new-to-me ZX11. He said, "Wow that's an old bike!" I said, "Yeah, but look how nice and clean it is with no marks or rash's!"
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I've actually seen a couple 600s that were well cared for and had not been down--really beautiful. I fall in love with those. Any bike can go down, but 600 owners can't afford insurance to repair them so they get sold as is. And they are too cool to admit their error so they blame the previous owner.
                            sigpic

Comment

600 is a class that is either best bought new or best avoided unless all paperwork is available.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X