Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hidden "anti-theft" kill switch, yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hidden "anti-theft" kill switch, yes or no?

Hi guys,

Motorcycle theft near me is a big thing at the mo, I think because it seems to be so easy for them and the police are often unable to chase bikes so they get away. And unless they catch them doing it it's hard to prove afterwards due to hidden faces, gloves etc. Plus when they catch them most of them are under 18 so let off lightly as they can't be prosecuted like adults.

There are gangs doing it and posting their exploits on social media.... all in all it's pretty bad times, more here if you're interested: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...g-saga-1231338

Anyway, I know there's no total solution but making it harder or more inconvenient for thieves seems to be worthwhile. Now, I could be way off as I have no idea how to steel a bike but I assume they're simply bypassing the ignition somehow and getting them started, even knew stuff that you'd imagine would have transponder keys and other gizmos. So I wondered if fitting a hidden kill switch would be worthwhile as I have most of the bike apart at the moment so wires are easy to get to.

It won't stop someone lifting it into a Van, but thankfully weight it on it's side for that.... parked next to a lightweight modern sports-bike I'm sure that would look more attractive.

I'm thinking if they tried it and got the ignition on, but it still won't start they'd think it was just some old lump of junk and move on to the next one....

I have thought about a tracker, and may still get one, but once it's gone it's gone and the last known location of the tracker is only likely to lead me to the burnt out remains.

So thoughts on a switch, or am I not giving them enough credit for intelligence? and if yes, what wires can I interrupt with it, usual for a car is to disable the fuel pump but obviously that's not so helpful.

Also there's the fear that it goes wrong, and leaves me stranded but hopefully, knowing where it is I'd be able to by pass it easy enough - but I understand any concern with interrupting the original wires.

Hotwiring these bikes is so pitifully easy, you would probably be better off resorting to a mechanical means of theft prevention.

- Make sure your steering lock is clean and lubricated, lock the steering when you leave the bike.
    - Use a chain or cable through the frame and/or wheels. Going through another object is optional.
    - Use a lock on a brake disk.

Yeah, some of these will require that you have someplace on the bike to store devices while moving, but at least you will have your bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

unfortunately tools like this,

that can be had for £50 make even the most heavy duty chains completely pointless.

Just at daylight in central London, some thieves are trying to steel a quite expensive Ducati 1199 Panigale. With a grinder they try to cut open the padlock....

and

Police are hunting a moped gang who used a portable saw to steal a scooter during a brazen raid on a plush central London street.The gang, who all wore helme...

The threat of violence and intimidation allows these guys to do what they want in broad daylight. Although sometimes lifted into vans the end result is more often the bike being started and riding away.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        you would probably be better off resorting to a mechanical means of theft prevention.
        This has actually given me a different idea, perhaps fabricating some kind of small locking device to prevent the throttle opening at the carb end?

would be easily removed I'm sure, once found but ideally would be discrete so might take a fair while to locate it.

I agree big ass locks would be a good visible deterrent for your average crim, if nothing else would slow them down, so I'm not saying I wouldn't lock it as well.

Comment

The last GS1000G I had had a kill switch hidden underneath the rear cowling. Thankfully, it was in the "on" position when I got it because I was not told about it from the seller, who probably didn't know about it either. I found it by accident while looking the bike over once I got it home and had no idea what it was until I turned it off and tried starting the bike. Moral of the story is, make sure you either remove it before selling or tell the buyer about it.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I saw a post on another forum once about a guy who put an RFID reader in his bike seat programmed to recognize one of two keycards, and kept one of the cards in his wallet. (The other was kept at home.) He wired it up in place of the ignition switch, so all he had to do was mount the bike and hit the starter to get going. But he left the ignition switch in place, and nobody could tell it had been disconnected without tracing the wiring.

I was going to try to do that myself but the ignition switch on a Triumph America has something like 6 or 7 poles. I was going to need a bunch of relays to fan out to that mess, plus the connectors aren't exactly common around here.

Comment

One thing that I've heard of car guys doing is a delayed fuel shutoff. It allows the vehicle to be hot wired in the usual fashion and driven off but after a very short time it just quits and because it's now in traffic they have no idea what happened and usually just abandon it right there. I've also heard of the delay activating the fours ways and horn as well. You can probably find a simple fuel solenoid somewhere. They won't get far with what's in the float bowls. As to 4 big guys loading it in a truck, they will hopefully target something more worthwhile than an old GS.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I prefer the "rusty frame and crappy paint" theft deterrent technique. If it's questionable as to whether or not it's already been stolen or abandoned....

Comment

Here's an option. You will need to walk your anti theft device every once in a while though.

Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    One thing that I've heard of car guys doing is a delayed fuel shutoff. It allows the vehicle to be hot wired in the usual fashion and driven off but after a very short time it just quits and because it's now in traffic they have no idea what happened and usually just abandon it right there. I've also heard of the delay activating the fours ways and horn as well. You can probably find a simple fuel solenoid somewhere. They won't get far with what's in the float bowls. As to 4 big guys loading it in a truck, they will hopefully target something more worthwhile than an old GS.
                    You would be shocked at how quickly four guys with two 8' 2 x 4's can put a bike in the back of a pick up. Stick the 2 x's through the wheels, pick up the bike and walk down the sides of the truck, sitting it in the bed. About 20 seconds.

Personally, I would go with a mercury switch and a brick of plastique. Move the bike and it blows your ass 40 feet into the air. LOL
                    Last edited by earlfor; 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                      Here's an option. You will need to walk your anti theft device every once in a while though.

That's my alarm system x 4! Bike is in garage and I installed a 36" tall dog door in the kitchen door that goes into the garage. I'll let them wonder what needs a door that big if they get in there. heh eh Actually, I don't worry about it at all.
                      The guys can hear a lizard walking on the leaves outside from a hundred feet away, fat chance of anyone sneaking into the garage, and if I'm gone, they might be able to get in, but they won't be getting out. LOL
                      Last edited by earlfor; 03-30-2018, 09:21 AM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

all the anti theft stuff makes me love my neighborhood.....I haven't locked a door in the 10 years I have lived there.....god bless suburban privilege.....
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

...you could possibly just pull the ignition fuse. or better yet, replace it with a burned-out one. That would fool 'em for awhile.
                          I'm sure there's a few other tricks that don't need an extra switch cobbled in.

a blinking red led might convince them there's an alarm system. Or even GET an alarm system.

Comment

Ha ha... the fuse. I had the main fuse burn out on me the other day, underneath the end cap, and it took me forever to find that crap. Almost locked me out of my own bike for 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                              This thread should probably be in the Vortex as it has political roots.

It would be much cheaper to insure the bike for theft in the USA than to buy health insurance for dog(s).
                              I can't see that a hidden switch on a bike is a political topic. Yeah, you're right in that dog medical insurance cost more than bike theft insurance. Although, in my case, the dogs are only a warning system, it's the shotgun they should be worried about.

Comment

Working...
                              X