Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

talk me out of an FZ1....

Hi all,

Been really looking around at FZ1's in the area, plenty of nice examples of both gen 1 and 2 out there, cheap as chips, almost. Problem is it would require selling the ES, and getting a premium price for it at that. I know some of you guys have/have had one of these, educate me! I understand the 06-07 gen2's have some frame cracking issues, and also a stator/rotor issue....any other things to look out for? Thanks!

Greg

*gs related due to the mention of the es!
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

I had an '03 that I put over 50,000 troublefree miles on. It was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Did everything very well, responded to mods really nicely, all day comfort, too.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
      Hi all,

Been really looking around at FZ1's in the area, plenty of nice examples of both gen 1 and 2 out there, cheap as chips, almost. Problem is it would require selling the ES, and getting a premium price for it at that. I know some of you guys have/have had one of these, educate me! I understand the 06-07 gen2's have some frame cracking issues, and also a stator/rotor issue....any other things to look out for? Thanks!

Greg

*gs related due to the mention of the es!
      Well I speak as the former owner of a 2002 FZ1 and of your '83 GS1100ES. The FZ1 is faster, more powerful, lighter, smoother, better handling and rock solid reliable compared to the old Suzuki. Comfort on trips will be about the same. I like the Gen 1 because they look better than gen 2, but nothing will compare with the retro cool look of your ES! Sell your ES for $2500 and buy a nice used Gen 1 FZ1 for about the same price. Big difference is the ES will haul into triple digits but you know it, but the FZ1 will go triple digits before you realize it when looking down at the speedo....that's how smooth and effortless it's power is.

Comment

They are cheap up here, too.
        I have trying to get a buddy to go have a look at this early one.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

heh, you guys arent helping. Thing is I LOVE the es, and I have put a bit of myself into it. But everytime I have to push it around the garage....well, 75 or so less pounds to push around.....my wife would kill me, heheh.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

They are practically giving these away....2500 for a nicely modded and accessorized bike with only 25 k on the clock? sheesh I'm dying here. Again, my big hangup is the ES.....such a beautiful, and relatively rare bike. And my "i don't have to sell it" price is too high to move it on....
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Make room and add a bike. The FZ1 is one of the best bikes ever made.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I got similar problem, seems I need to sell my GSX7/1100 or GS1100G.
                Hope to ride out the need to sell one or the other.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

how much sacrilege would it be to paint one in es colors....maybe the boss won't notice the difference...
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I just can't get past the looks of the FZ1... and that's saying something since I ride a B-King.
                    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                    2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

No sacrilege at all. They are made to customize.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                        heh, you guys arent helping. Thing is I LOVE the es, and I have put a bit of myself into it. But everytime I have to push it around the garage....well, 75 or so less pounds to push around.....my wife would kill me, heheh.
                        Tough call, when you love the old bike. I haven't fallen in love with the ZRX. I plan to sell it and keep the 1000G. Is there a way you can keep both for a year and see which to part with after? Also, will 75lb really be significant in the garage?
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Don't ever sell the ES. You will regret it. Just buy another, she'll understand. Its a guy thing. I had a stock exhaust on my ZRX. Because it was so quiet, I found myself driving to fast in places I shouldn't be driving to fast. Besides, Losing 18 lbs and gaining 10 hp and sounding sweet works well too.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Realistically, the ES isn't going anywhere, at least for now. This is just some spring fever creeping in, happens every year around this time, I start getting antsy. Last year I bought a cheap chinese motorized bike kit, i've finally been getting around to get it put together....if I can get it to start, it will help scratch the itch. I already have 2 bikes in the garage, I have a 1967 Honda Dream I disassembled a couple years ago to correct some broken rings that I STILL haven't gotten back together. A third bike would just be too much....I have a pretty good feel for JUST HOW FAR I can push the boss before she freaks the heck out....I surf that edge on the regular, the poor girl.

Dale, you signed up for the Gingerman day, yes? Have you gotten the ZRX fixed up yet? Should sell quickly once you do (or even if you let the next guy do it), you don't see those around very often.

I know I would regret letting the ES go, especially in light of the (apparently) rising prices the GS's are seeing lately. If someone came along and offered $5000, she would be gone faster than you can say FZ1 AND track bike......but prices aren't quite there yet, eh? Still, a well-regarded, well-kept, one year only bike just...might...get there....someday.

As for the aesthetics of the FZ, I kind of like it! I mean, not in a forever kinda way maybe, but I think I could be seen on it for a while....

Greg
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

They are decent looking, GREAT riding motorcycles. This thread sort of makes me want another one, but I need to finish the CB900f.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X