Used bike nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used bike nonsense

SMH, but maybe it's just me. I spent a couple of hours browsing Craigslist and it's either sad or comical what people think their non cared for junk is worth. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to buy an older used bike is thru the forums. Better stuff, from people who know what maintenance and upgrades are and actually do it. Better to pay a certain premium unless you are looking for a project full of unknowns.

Yeah, it's a given that Craigslist owners will have destroyed more than they fix and the bike is in worse shape now than it was when they bought it. There are exceptions, but boy are they rare. LOL
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have found a few nice bikes on Craigslist, but you do have to shovel through a lot of crap before you find a pony.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDad View Post
        I have found a few nice bikes on Craigslist, but you do have to shovel through a lot of crap before you find a pony.
        On Craigslist, nice usually means most of the parts are still there, nothing has been hacked off the frame and the rust is less than 1/8" deep. LOL

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

It's the same in every country. One thing I learned though is to just keep it at, good deals are few, but come along steadily.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            SMH, but maybe it's just me. I spent a couple of hours browsing Craigslist and it's either sad or comical what people think their non cared for junk is worth. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to buy an older used bike is thru the forums. Better stuff, from people who know what maintenance and upgrades are and actually do it. Better to pay a certain premium unless you are looking for a project full of unknowns.
            After experiencing same on kijiji I posted a want ad, and that worked. PO was looking for good home for his GS and contacted me instead of posting
            1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

It's (theoretically) spring, so the fantasy pricing is in full force. Some people have spent all winter tripping over a bike, dreaming of the phat cash they're going to get for it in the spring.

If it ever frickin' warms up around here, CrackList is going to be NUTS.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

$1,900 https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ationFlag=true
                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                  The paint looks like someone decor painted it with a sponge. LOL The photos aren't that great, but I think it will not look nearly as good in person. I would have to go look at it though to be sure.

Comment

And 52,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                      And 52,000 miles

that's kilometers so only around 32,000 miles +/-
                      Last edited by alke46; 04-05-2018, 09:55 AM.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The sheer number of scams and used, overpriced Harleys for sale makes it a chore to look through Craigslist, but there are gems in the piles of manure.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          The paint looks like someone decor painted it with a sponge. LOL The photos aren't that great, but I think it will not look nearly as good in person. I would have to go look at it though to be sure.
                          That's why it took me so long to find my GS650G for $900. Over priced, older condition machines all over the web.
                          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

One of my activities during my lunch hour is check craigslist for motorcycles and parts, I see the same guys relisting their over priced stuff time and time again, some ads going for more than a year easily. The last bike I bought (myGS550E), the ad was up for 8 to 12 hours before I had money in the seller's hand, did not haggle either because his price was right. You just have to search and keep searching.
                            1981 Suzuki GS250T
                            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                            1985 Suzuki GS550E
                            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                              that's kilometers so only around 32,000 miles +/-
                              Didn't look close enough. I wonder if the owner thinks he has a 240 MPH bike........

Comment

Working...
                              X