Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now for something different...(still GS-related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now for something different...(still GS-related)

So a few days ago I was scouring our local eBay-equivalent, when I stumbled across an unusual auction.

Basically useless today, but it fits the vintage setting of our garage...so I bid on it (Click the pictures to enlarge).

"What is it? Tell us already"

This is what has arrived a few days later:

Yes, it's a fiche reader. Big woop, you'll say...but, part of the auction were over 500 parts fiches. So I took a chance, and lo and behold:

The unit's bulb was dead though, so I examined the internals....

Wait a minute, that's a standard G5.3 / MR16 bulb, isn't it? I have some LED replacements of those handy....
    And the setup is a simple VAC transformer, no needlessly complicated circuitry.

Looking good! Now let's have a look (after some cleaning. It was a smoker's shop, yuk):

Wee! It's fascinating to explore those fiches, they have some additional information on them. For example, some color codes:

Or, some of you hinted that bolt sizes could be derived from part numbers (over in this linked thread: clicky). Turns out, this is documented as such:

Yeah, this is not of much use nowadays, but fun. Also, this might come in handy to keep in the garage, so I don't have to print out everything all the time.

As mentioned, I have in excess of 500 fiches at my disposal. I have only superficially browsed through them, it seems to be mainly Yamaha and Suzuki.
    If any of you guys need some elusive parts number/assembly drawing, let me know, I just might have it somewhere in that stack. I'll hunt for them when I find some spare time.
    Last edited by roeme; 04-16-2018, 04:37 PM.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

I am proud to be the first here to say, that's really cool. I want it. However I am a collector of useless stuff, lol... How much was it?
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Yah, some of the first sheets on the microfische film have intersting general information, such as starting serail numbers for that year/model, paint code information, explanation of abreviations, bolt size info and others. These sheets are not found on tytpical part supplier sites because they dont have specific part number look-up on them.

An other intersting sheet is that for optional parts, like covers and tool kits.

THere is a market for those microfisch films. I got some for my bikes, and took them to library and printed a lot of sheets for something like 3 cents a sheet, and had it bound.

Last edited by Redman; 04-16-2018, 03:13 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        I am proud to be the first here to say, that's really cool. I want it. However I am a collector of useless stuff, lol... How much was it?
        Initially it was $40 delivered, then some twa*t had a go as well, which put it to $70 delivered.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        (...)

THere is a market for those microfisch films. I got some for my bikes, and took them to library and printed a lot of sheets for something like 3 cents a sheet, and had it bound.

Huh? Meaning you sold printed copies of them, righto?

Heh. The shop where I had some stuff done for my GS had the fiches still in deep storage. After I went there a few times, a microfiche reader re-appeared on his service desk...so no market there. Then again, I wouldn't know where to get to machinery that could print those (libraries here threw them out a long time ago).
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I have a microfiche for my 1983 GS850GD, purchased around 1998-2000 or thereabouts. The local library still had microfilm readers at the time, so I took it in and printed out each panel (there was a button you could press to make a photocopy on paper for a nickel) and put the pages into a binder.

It's sometimes useful to have the original part number; the new online fiches are sometimes not perfectly accurate and usually don't tell you when part numbers have been superceded.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
            Huh? Meaning you sold printed copies of them, righto?........
            No, I bought the sheet of microfiche film. And I took it to the library (section that has old newspapers and such on microfische) and printed out most frames. THen had bound (at a print shop) for my own use. And, yah, that was 8 - 10 years ago, dont know the situation now.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That a just too cool!
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Not sure how it's useless. My dealer still uses his a lot.

Comment

Working...
                X