Late afternoon ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late afternoon ride

I went for a ride on local back roads for 80 miles or so this afternoon, which I do most every day. I have a lot of roads that wind up and down hills with plentiful curves and little traffic in late afternoon. The plan was a big loop from my house with the first half headed west so on that on the east return, I wouldn't have the sun in my face. I had the road almost all to myself until the last 20 miles returning. I was cruising the empty road at 55-60 (speed limit 55) when a pick up caught up to me and glued itself to my rear fender even though the road was clear and he had unlimited opportunities to pass.

At first, I was getting annoyed, but then I thought about it. I had the wind in my face, was able to smell the scents of the trees brought by the wind and I could hear the birds and sounds carried by the wind. In the ponds and crossing small bridges, I could see the lilies and note if they were blooming, see the ripples in the water from the fish and frogs and watch the herons searching for tid bits of food. I see the squirrels and the gators, the opossums, raccoons and deer.

I'm in the world and enjoying everything around me. I'm relaxed and at peace. The tail gator behind me is trapped in his tin can, unable to see, hear or smell anything while he punches out messages with his fingers on his small talking machine and breathes plastic air made by his driving can, only intent on getting where he is going as soon as possible so he can escape his machine.

I left the house a few hours ago and I was 74. Now I'm 30. heh

And yet, they can't figure out why we ride. Strange, isn't it.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Life As We Live It

I can understand your feelings. As I write this note, I am in hospital for my second Total Knee Replacement (left knee). Four weeks ago to the day, I had the same surgery on my right.

The reason I compare your thoughts is because I see people in a hurry ever since I was able to walk with cane instead of walker. It's very enlightening.

On a positive note, I have also been assisted by considerate folks in my travels... mostly young people.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-18-2018, 08:29 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      ................................ was able to smell the scents of the trees brought by the wind and I could hear the birds and sounds carried by the wind. In the ponds and crossing small bridges, I could see the lilies and note if they were blooming, see the ripples in the water from the fish and frogs and watch the herons searching for tid bits of food. I see the squirrels and the gators, the opossums, raccoons and deer.

I'm in the world and enjoying everything around me. I'm relaxed and at peace...........................
      Yes ! Yes !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        I can understand your feelings. As I write this note, I am in hospital for my second Total Knee Replacement (left knee). Four weeks ago to the day, I had the same surgery on my right.

The reason I compare your thoughts is because I see people in a hurry ever since I was able to walk with cane instead of walker. It's very enlightening.

On a positive note, I have also been assisted by considerate folks in my travels... mostly young people.

Ed
        \
        I hope you recover quickly and are able to get back out there into the world of frogs and bugs. heh
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

What is that phrase..."you never see a motorcycle parked outside the office of a shrink".

Thanks for this, Earl.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            \
            I hope you recover quickly and are able to get back out there into the world of frogs and bugs. heh
            Thanks Earl. I appreciate your sharing of this story. I've been doing lots of lounging when I'm not having a PT session or self-paced home exercises so I have had time to pick/choose threads that I can relate to.

You're an interesting thought provoker...thanks!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nice story, Been through the same thing quite a few times. Hate tailgators and have found myself thinking calming thoughts and thinking I'm enjoying this ride... and sometimes I'll pull off the road and letting a hurried frantic cagers go by.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              What is that phrase..."you never see a motorcycle parked outside the office of a shrink".
              Cept for mine...LOL

But the courts received a very good "for me" report for the court appointed psychological evaluation..LOL

Comment

I'm busting a gut to start riding soon. Second cataract surgery did not go very well. Still having problems been a week now. The first one was terrific, getting pretty frustrated here....
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed
                  Damnit, was gonna check on ya, see how you were doing, I can't find your number for some reason. Let me know buddy so I can add you back on to my contact list.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    Damnit, was gonna check on ya, see how you were doing, I can't find your number for some reason. Let me know buddy so I can add you back on to my contact list.
                    I'll send you a text message...I just got discharged from the hospital.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                    X