Too Damn close!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Damn close!!

It's pitch black outside and I just took the bike across the street to a convenience store a mile from my house.
    My street runs north and south and T's into a divided four lane highway that runs west and east. There is a turn around at the T directly across from my street. I had stopped on my street and then proceeded across the east bound two lanes, and stopped in the turn through waiting to turn west because a car was coming and about 200 yards away. There was nothing behind the car for about a half a mile. Five seconds later, the car passed and I started to let the clutch out to go across the two west bound lanes, when I heard something I couldn't identify. It sounded like the wind whistling and tires rolling. I was puzzled because the car had already passed and was going away. There was nothing there and I was not moving. Three seconds later, a black van flashed through my headlights that were pointed across the road. The van had no lights and was invisible until it crossed in front of me. I never saw it until it went past. If I had been wearing earplugs, I doubt I would have heard the changed whistle of the wind or the sound of the tires. For all those that wear earplugs, particularly at night in traffic, you might want to reconsider. Having loud pipes would have gotten me killed too.
    Last edited by earlfor; 04-18-2018, 09:10 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Glad you're safe Earl. Now change your shorts and pour yourself a stiff drink..........
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      It's pitch black outside and I just took the bike across the street to a convenience store a mile from my house.
      My street runs north and south and T's into a divided four lane highway that runs west and east. There is a turn around at the T directly across from my street. I had stopped on my street and then proceeded across the east bound two lanes, and stopped in the turn through waiting to turn west because a car was coming and about 200 yards away. There was nothing behind the car for about a half a mile. Five seconds later, the car passed and I started to let the clutch out to go across the two west bound lanes, when I heard something I couldn't identify. It sounded like the wind whistling and tires rolling. I was puzzled because the car had already passed and was going away. There was nothing there and I was not moving. Three seconds later, a black van flashed through my headlights that were pointed across the road. The van had no lights and was invisible until it crossed in front of me. I never saw it until it went past. If I had been wearing earplugs, I doubt I would have heard the changed whistle of the wind or the sound of the tires. For all those that wear earplugs, particularly at night in traffic, you might want to reconsider. Having loud pipes would have gotten me killed too.
      Black van with no headlights almost takes you out? Do you know anyone that has recently taking out a life insurance policy on you? Did you remember to leave me the Bandit in your will?
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Night riding or driving limits visibility. I'm so annoyed with cagers who do not apply "due diligence" on safety requirements for their vehicle on the road.

I'm glad you're safe, Earl. I do wear earplugs during daylight riding (at least when I was riding in NM). I can still hear things as the plugs were designed to suppress the majority of noise but not completely. The plugs were expensive but fitted to my ears.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I use to like riding at night when I lived in a larger city.

I spent a summer in the burbs of Chicago and I know it doesn't sound like it would be much fun for riding. But I would ride in lit city streets for miles and miles and in the right places the traffic would be lite. The smaller neighborhood bar and grills and night life. Enjoying the whole evening vibe and exploring the night.

Where I live now and in this day and age, not into night riding, but still do it when I'm able ride to work or traveling and just make it home late or where ever I'm going.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            Glad you're safe Earl. Now change your shorts and pour yourself a stiff drink..........
            I tried, but my hands were shaking so much that now it's all in my socks. LMAO

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              Night riding or driving limits visibility. I'm so annoyed with cagers who do not apply "due diligence" on safety requirements for their vehicle on the road.

I'm glad you're safe, Earl. I do wear earplugs during daylight riding (at least when I was riding in NM). I can still hear things as the plugs were designed to suppress the majority of noise but not completely. The plugs were expensive but fitted to my ears.

Ed
              I've pretty much stopped riding at night because of the deer. It's near impossible to see a deer on a dark road in time to do anything about it. Bad odds! But, a 1 mile, 20 mph toddle to the store is usually not a problem. heh

Comment

There is a nice somewhat curvy road (for this area) about 3/4 miles due South of my house. I often can hear the crotch rocket boys in Ricky Racer mode ripping it up when I'm outside. A friend had posted in Facebook last night that the deer were moving in mass and to be careful. I took the dog out about 9:30 and I heard the distinctive whine of high revving motorcycles coming from the South. I thought, hope they and the deer don't meet..............
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                  There is a nice somewhat curvy road (for this area) about 3/4 miles due South of my house. I often can hear the crotch rocket boys in Ricky Racer mode ripping it up when I'm outside. A friend had posted in Facebook last night that the deer were moving in mass and to be careful. I took the dog out about 9:30 and I heard the distinctive whine of high revving motorcycles coming from the South. I thought, hope they and the deer don't meet..............
                  Yep, avoiding deer is mostly a throw of the dice. The only thing that works for me is head for where the deer came from. In other words, always turn into the deer. the one place it will not be is where it came from.

Comment

I still enjoy riding at night, especially in the summer, when the days here are like a blast furnace-but javelina, deer and coyotes make it a bit of a toss up once you get out of the city.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I live on the edge of Indianapolis, and I also have to admit I enjoy blatting around the city at night, in that little slice of prime time before drunk o'clock. Exploring the side streets and alleys is a weird sort of fun. A friend of mine calls it "rat racing".

But yes, I always, always, always make an extra triple-check for vehicles running without lights. Quite a few of these doofs -- there are enough street lights that people often drive quite a while without realizing their headlights aren't on.

When my light turns green, I pause a few seconds and triple-check again in all directions. It's pretty common for an extra two or three vehicles to blast through, idiot faces lit from below by those oh-so-important Facebook posts and texts.

And of course you have to keep a close eye on your six, as always. And watch for "human deer" -- folks who love to dress head to toe in black and go for a nighttime stroll (very few sidewalks hereabouts). And the real deer -- a surprising number of whitetails have adapted to urban life.

The KLR650 makes a great urban assault vehicle -- immune to most road conditions, you sit up high, and frankly it looks so weird that this sometimes gives an extra shot of visibility. If the situation arises, it can climb curbs, cross yards, and vanish into narrow spaces. And the coating of mud and the various scrapes and bashes from off-roading make excellent camouflage; it's not shiny, so thieves don't take a second look.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I live on the edge of Indianapolis, and I also have to admit I enjoy blatting around the city at night, in that little slice of prime time before drunk o'clock. Exploring the side streets and alleys is a weird sort of fun. A friend of mine calls it "rat racing".

But yes, I always, always, always make an extra triple-check for vehicles running without lights. Quite a few of these doofs -- there are enough street lights that people often drive quite a while without realizing their headlights aren't on.

When my light turns green, I pause a few seconds and triple-check again in all directions. It's pretty common for an extra two or three vehicles to blast through, idiot faces lit from below by those oh-so-important Facebook posts and texts.

And of course you have to keep a close eye on your six, as always. And watch for "human deer" -- folks who love to dress head to toe in black and go for a nighttime stroll (very few sidewalks hereabouts). And the real deer -- a surprising number of whitetails have adapted to urban life.

The KLR650 makes a great urban assault vehicle -- immune to most road conditions, you sit up high, and frankly it looks so weird that this sometimes gives an extra shot of visibility. If the situation arises, it can climb curbs, cross yards, and vanish into narrow spaces. And the coating of mud and the various scrapes and bashes from off-roading make excellent camouflage; it's not shiny, so thieves don't take a second look.
                        After a couple of serious accidents many years ago, I realized I had to change my habits if I wanted to survive my obsession for the long term. I concluded that it was not so much technical skill or experience that was paramount, but that situational awareness that was the most important factor. It doesn't matter how good a rider one is if they don't see a danger or it's development. It was then that I started paying attention to everything, traffic, pedestrians, shadows, sounds, debris, road conditions and probable or possible progressions of situations and focusing on acting before an event occurred. One doesn't need to be a great rider if they can see a problem 5 or 10 seconds before it is a problem. If you need exceptional skill to escape, you have long since badly F'd up.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I'll have to agree on the KLR's usefulness in the city. I' rode to the grocery store a couple nights ago and even mundane tasks like the grocery run become fun. With the aluminum pannier boxes and the tail trunk I managed to carry just over a hundred bucks worth of household consumables. I couldn't take the long way home since I got some frozen goods though.

Last night I rode to the West side for our mid week small church group meeting. Many commuters are traveling West at that time so an extra vigilant eye and patience was needed. Not an ideal time to ride but a forty mile trek by myself is perfect for a single cylinder vehicle. The ride home at 9pm was magnificent. A funny thing, when I walked out of the house we met at a friend came to look at the bike while I geared up. He said well this is interesting, is this thing built for speed or comfort? Um, neither I said. LOL, while it's not terribly uncomfortable to ride, that's certainly not it's most saught after attribute. Also, it's not the fastest bike either so that's out. I said it's designed to get you WHEREVER you want to go!

I have been riding the KLR more than the GS lately partly because I've still got the 850 in repair/ maintenance mode, but mostly because it's just a fun bike to ride.

Sorry to turn your close call thread into a KLR platform, Earl. I like riding at night. I do wear earplugs though but am very alert. Yes the knuckleheads are out in force but that's just life in the city I suppose.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                            Sorry to turn your close call thread into a KLR platform, Earl. I like riding at night. I do wear earplugs though but am very alert. Yes the knuckleheads are out in force but that's just life in the city I suppose.
                            If the subject is bikes, I'm happy. LOL

Comment

Glad you're ok. These kinds of things can make you think for a while.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                              X