CDI dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI dilemna

Ok have a 1984 GS1150E have a mechanic that seems capable.... always suspicious due to hard to test these units. Says CDI is gone. So a little hard to find and even so big $$$ out of country. I came across a used 83 GS 1000 one same look and plug in but with different part #, for $80, probably double that with shipping duty. Do you think that would work. Dyna 2000 seems to have but again kind of big bucks. Little apprehensive buying used for large $ when they really cant be tested without swapping into another bike. Thoughts comments appreciated

You need to post this in the Electrical forum.

This forum is for questions about the GSR itself

And, turn off the bold and tell us why you think it needs an ignitor
    Last edited by Big T; 04-19-2018, 12:41 AM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have to agree with Big T.

This is the wrong forum.

It's hard to read with large bold print.

"CDI gone" is almost correct. You never had one on the bike to start with.

The '80 unit will likely not work with your '84, unless your bike has centrifugal ignition advance on the crank.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I have to agree with Big T.

This is the wrong forum.

It's hard to read with large bold print.

"CDI gone" is almost correct. You never had one on the bike to start with.

The '80 unit will likely not work with your '84, unless your bike has centrifugal ignition advance on the crank.

Pretty sure all of the 1150's have electronic advance, so he needs an 1150 specific ignitor of Dyna 2000.

Comment

It might be possible to use a Dyna S and a centrifugal advance unit from an 1100E. I have no personal experience with this but have read about the mod before. Hopefully someone here can chime in with more definitive data.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            It might be possible to use a Dyna S and a centrifugal advance unit from an 1100E. I have no personal experience with this but have read about the mod before. Hopefully someone here can chime in with more definitive data.
            Bill (Chef1366) or Ray for sure probably knows

Comment

I had a 85 GS1150E for about five years. The factory electronic ignition gave up the ghost and died after the first two years. I replaced it with a Dyna 2000 electronic advance which also died a couple of years later.

I then replaced that with a Dyna S for an 83 1100. The Dyna S requires a mechanical advance unit. The 1150 does not have one, but the machining on the crank end is still there for one. A mechanical advance from a GS 850 is a drop in, no brainer to install.

It fits perfectly. (other mechanical advance units would probably work also, but that is only a guess)

Get a Dyna S for a 1983 1100. Get a mechanical advance from a GS 850.
              They are both plug and play, no mods needed.

The rotor installed on the crankshaft will be 1/2" taller than the stock 1150 electronic setup. You will need the case cover from a 83 1100 because that year cover is 3/4"
              deeper/taller than the stock 1150 case cover is. You will be good to go, no modifications needed.
              Last edited by earlfor; 04-21-2018, 07:28 PM.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well I have two 1100ed ignitors

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Well I have two 1100ed ignitors
                  I don't know if they would work or not with with a 1150 crank trigger.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                  X