Iron Pony Helmet clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Pony Helmet clearance

I posted this a few days ago for those that might want to save a couple bucks, or needed a helmet but just didn't have a lot of cash to throw around right now. When I first posted, I had not received it. It arrived this evening. On examination, the fit and finish is excellent as is the interior padding fit and layout. I normally wear a small, ordered a small and it fits perfectly.
    (slightly on the snug side as it should be) The chin strap is a stepped ratchet type and the latch is made of metal with a small pull strap quick release. The chin bar opens and closes/latches very positively with a metal latch mechanism (The chin strap and chin bar are both easy to operate) The helmet comes with a clear outside face shield plus a dark smoke inside sun shield. The clear outershield locks down. The chin bar can be locked in the up position by a switch on the left side of the helmet. The sun shield visor is moved up or down by a small lever under the left side of the helmet. The helmet is through vented with six exhaust slots in the rear and ten intakes in the front and top. They can be set open or closed. There is an elastic air dam across the bottom of the chin bar which is there to reduce updraft wind noise into the helmet. The helmet fits snugly enough that to either put it on or take it off, I have to open the chin bar.
    The liner is removable and washable. There is an indent tab and the face shield slides out of its holder quickly and easily for replacement or cleaning.

Considering how its made and the snug fit, I expect it will be quieter than my old HJC which cost 6 times more.
    It is also significantly lighter than the HJC.

The sale price is $48 (original $170 I believe)

It isn't a $1500 custom helmet, but it is definitely worth the original price of $170 and certainly a steal and a good value at $48. I'm impressed with it and after my ride tomorrow, if I'm impressed by the silence and comfort, I will probably be ordering a couple more.
    It's a shockingly nice helmet for that little bit of money. Oh yeah, one other thing that I consider a plus. No name stickers or advertising logo's on it other than the small DOT certification sticker on the back with Stealth Vertice on it.
    Last edited by earlfor; 04-20-2018, 10:03 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/...Modular-Helmet

I posted this a few days ago for those that might want to save a couple bucks, or needed a helmet but just didn't have a lot of cash to throw around right now. When I first posted, I had not received it. It arrived this evening. On examination, the fit and finish is excellent as is the interior padding fit and layout. I normally wear a small, ordered a small and it fits perfectly.
      (slightly on the snug side as it should be) The chin strap is a stepped ratchet type and the latch is made of metal with a small pull strap quick release. The chin bar opens and closes/latches very positively with a metal latch mechanism (The chin strap and chin bar are both easy to operate) The helmet comes with a clear outside face shield plus a dark smoke inside sun shield. The clear outershield locks down. The chin bar can be locked in the up position by a switch on the left side of the helmet. The sun shield visor is moved up or down by a small lever under the left side of the helmet. The helmet is through vented with six exhaust slots in the rear and ten intakes in the front and top. They can be set open or closed. There is an elastic air dam across the bottom of the chin bar which is there to reduce updraft wind noise into the helmet. The helmet fits snugly enough that to either put it on or take it off, I have to open the chin bar.
      The liner is removable and washable. There is an indent tab and the face shield slides out of its holder quickly and easily for replacement or cleaning.

Considering how its made and the snug fit, I expect it will be quieter than my old HJC which cost 6 times more.
      It is also significantly lighter than the HJC.

The sale price is $48 (original $170 I believe)

It isn't a $1500 custom helmet, but it is definitely worth the original price of $170 and certainly a steal and a good value at $48. I'm impressed with it and after my ride tomorrow, if I'm impressed by the silence and comfort, I will probably be ordering a couple more.
      It's a shockingly nice helmet for that little bit of money. Oh yeah, one other thing that I consider a plus. No name stickers or advertising logo's on it other than the small DOT certification sticker on the back with Stealth Vertice on it.
      No snell??
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        No snell??
        No Snell. It is DOT and Euro spec certified. If it was Snell certified I would not consider buying it. DOT and Euro are the safer, preferred standard. The difference is that DOT and Euro are designed to crush somewhat on impact and spread impact forces over a longer period of time thus reducing the trauma to the skull. Snell standard is more rigid and although it will withstand a higher impact speed, the trade off is that is does not spread the impact forces over a longer period of time significantly which results in more injury. If you're Grand Prix road racer and expect to have a 200 mph crash, by all means go with the snell. But, if you're a street rider, your usage range is much slower than that and the better choice is DOT or Euro standards.

Edit:
        Went for a 40 mile ride with the new helmet and found it is very noisy at anything above 35-40 mph. I think it would be ok for low speed in town runs or a short go'fer trip, but I wouldn't consider it as a all day, highway speed helmet. Also, I found the seating position on the Bandit is such that I can not turn my head more then 45 deg right or left because the lower portion of the helmet hits my shoulder.
        Last edited by earlfor; 04-21-2018, 12:18 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks, Earl.

I don't need one right now, but have been thinking of a new helmet as my Scorpion 900 is four years old.

I looked at this ad and then looked at shipping to Canada.....their minimum for shipping to Canada costs more than their selling price for the helmet!
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Had a vega for years. Almost as good as my schuberth s2. Flows air better and was literally 1/10th of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by aclaytonb View Post
              Had a vega for years. Almost as good as my schuberth s2. Flows air better and was literally 1/10th of the cost.
              How did you feel about the noise level. The modular is rather loud.

Comment

Honestly, both helmets were loud enough on the highway that I still wore earplugs. I lived 50 minutes from post so I rode an hour at 60-100 mph every day during the summer. A quality helmet is a "little" quieter but nothing a 25c pair of foam earplugs can't fix. I'd say it was 10-15% quieter or so. It got even better when I found plugfones - earplug headphones.

I'd rather spend the extra $400 on something that keeps me riding. Thats four sets of Shinkos - delivered.

Comment

Snell is an excellent standard. The best in my opinion. There was a point in the past where some people were bashing Snell saying the standard was geared towards racing but Snell took heed and evolved the standard to address many of those complaints. Snell has a chin bar test which I think many (or maybe most) modular helmets can't pass, and there is also some test that most (or maybe all) helmets with flip down visors can't meet. I wear a Scorpion with flip down visor so my helmet isn't Snell, but that in of itself doesn't bother me, and I don't condemn Snell for this either.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by aclaytonb View Post
                    Honestly, both helmets were loud enough on the highway that I still wore earplugs. I lived 50 minutes from post so I rode an hour at 60-100 mph every day during the summer. A quality helmet is a "little" quieter but nothing a 25c pair of foam earplugs can't fix. I'd say it was 10-15% quieter or so. It got even better when I found plugfones - earplug headphones.

I'd rather spend the extra $400 on something that keeps me riding. Thats four sets of Shinkos - delivered.
                    I'm with you on the tire money. heh

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Snell is an excellent standard. The best in my opinion. There was a point in the past where some people were bashing Snell saying the standard was geared towards racing but Snell took heed and evolved the standard to address many of those complaints. Snell has a chin bar test which I think many (or maybe most) modular helmets can't pass, and there is also some test that most (or maybe all) helmets with flip down visors can't meet. I wear a Scorpion with flip down visor so my helmet isn't Snell, but that in of itself doesn't bother me, and I don't condemn Snell for this either.
                      I didn't say Snell had a poor standard. I said I didn't approve of it because it doesn't apply as well as it should for my type of riding.
                      Dot and EU standards do.

Comment

I have always gone for a moderate helmet but this time I have the HJC RPHA 90 in my sights. It's a $450.00 Helmet but it meets all my wishes and requirements for a modular helmet.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I didn't say Snell had a poor standard. I said I didn't approve of it because it doesn't apply as well as it should for my type of riding.
                          Dot and EU standards do.
                          That's not what you wrote above. You implied that Snell is an inferior standard compared to DOT and "Euro" (ECE).

DOT and Euro are the safer, preferred standard. The difference is that DOT and Euro are designed to crush somewhat on impact and spread impact forces over a longer period of time thus reducing the trauma to the skull. Snell standard is more rigid and although it will withstand a higher impact speed, the trade off is that is does not spread the impact forces over a longer period of time significantly which results in more injury. If you're Grand Prix road racer and expect to have a 200 mph crash, by all means go with the snell. But, if you're a street rider, your usage range is much slower than that and the better choice is DOT or Euro standards.
                          If anyone wants to learn how well DOT helmets compare to SNELL helmets here is some good reading...https://www.smf.org/docs/articles/im...COBI-15-91.pdf In a nutshell, SNELL is as good or better.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

No real life experience with 200mph crashes but the Vega will stop a 4" grasshopper when you take it in the noggin at 100+ mph. Never been down, so I use useful things like this to guage helmet purchase successfulness....

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              That's not what you wrote above. You implied that Snell is an inferior standard compared to DOT and "Euro" (ECE).
                              I think you have a reading comprehension problem.
                              Last edited by earlfor; 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X