gs650e help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650e help

18519841_10208525142994137_4264725497145331113_n.jpgHey guys I was told that I was posting in the wrong place before so I'm posting here, thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer, cuz i need it. Sorry if this is long and boring also lol. I have a 81 gs650e, it's been sitting for at least a year or two after it started have charging problems. It stayed on as long you were giving it throttle, but it would die otherwise, needed jumpstarts every time etc. Now, I got it running and it's obvious that the engine needs work as well.
    I have no experience with engines so I have no idea what's going on, but I'm assuming it's going to need everything short of a rebuild. It probably doesn't have the right compression, it's smoking, and just doesn't sound good at all lol. It needs a new clutch and cable too, new chain etc. It's also going to need a new handlebar since it fell over in the garage and broke a handle, along with the entire dash (lost it).

So assuming I need this:

Engine work and carbs, clutch and cable, chain, new charging system, battery, brakes, tires, handlebar, dash (with gear indicator), and gas tank cleaned

Is this a bike worth fixing? Or should I get a new bike entirely? This was my first bike so I'm relatively attached to it, and it still looks beautiful imho (I'll attach pictures), so I don't really want to get rid of it unless costs more than a new bike (5k) to do this work . The trade in right now is only like $350 so not looking at getting much either way.

My next question is, do I need a specialty guy to fix all this, or can any motorcycle mechanic do this with this bike? I'm willing to do it myself and learn on the go (I have the manual), but I have no idea where to get these parts, what parts I can get (if the bike is too old), and have never worked on a motorcycle before (no tools). I'd also like this to not take a crazy long amount of time.

Thanks again for any help you guys can offer! I really appreciate it.

-Matt
    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2018, 11:27 PM.

Matt,

The archive here has information about just about every possible GS problem issue ever. All you have to do is search out the answers here. The question is how badly do you want to fix the bike? Unless you want to learn how to wrench you might be better off with a newer bike. Please check the Newbie Mistakes thread and carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. That will give you a taste of what's needed to keep your bike going.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If it only owes you $350 you might consider keeping it to re-build later down the track and just buy another running bike to ride.

IMO if you try and farm this work out to a mechanic it would easily cost you $5K to rebuild the engine and running gear.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Whether the bike is worth fixing is entirely up to you. You define the value the bike has to you, other than that it's not much more than cleverly assembled bunch of parts.

As for the cost; first you'll have to wage time vs. money. You either have to spend your own time, or money if you have somebody else do it.

How much - that depends on the condition of the bike. So as a very first, determine the health of the engine; then you can make an informed decision on how to continue.

Completely aside from all that though, as a general advice: As this is your first bike and you have somewhat of an attachment to it; if you can afford it and have the space, put it aside and tinker on it from time to time. You might regret getting rid of it years down the road. So many times older generations have shown me the vehicles/bikes they owned when young; ultra-cool stuff to begin with, often worth serious $$$ today, and almost everyone wished to still have them.

I'd check compression first. These engines are quite robust, if compression is good, you don't have much to worry about. I've started working on my GS'es about three years ago, I knew nothing about wrenching on bikes - but with the service manual, and this forum, I was soon able to fix almost everything by myself.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The motorcycle mechanics of today are of a different generation. Many of the younger ones have never worked on carburated bikes. Changing fuel injectors is not the same as dismantling, cleaning and reassembling a rack of carbs. Hence this forum, and others like it, although I would say that this is the best motorcycle forum that I have seen yet.
          You have a nice ride there, but there is a huge difference between just riding a motorcycle and riding one that you have taken apart and put back together. Only then you will become integrated with the machine in a way that is truly unique, and have a much deeper appreciation for the engineering that it took to put it together in the first place. There have been some cosmetic mods made to your bike by the previous owner, but by your description of it, he did not pay attention to the inner workings.
          To understand it all, takes time, but it is time well spent. A lot of us on this site are frugal and would consider it apostacy to go to a mechanic. The investment of money into tools is an investment that will last a lifetime. For the price of a case of beer you can buy a decent set of wrenches that will last you a lot longer.
          There is a lot to study here, a lot to wrap your head around, mechanics, hydraulics, electronics, painting and finishing, even cleaning and polishing.
          Everything you need to know is here on this site, the trials and tribulations of others as well. It took me two summers to rebuild my bike and it was in a lot worse shape than yours. Without this forum I would still be trying to figure it all out.
          Buy a new ride if you want, but don't get rid of this one. You will eventually discover the JOY of owning a GS.

Comment

Working...
          X