Long Distance Interstate Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Distance Interstate Riding

I have been asked to go out to Omaha NE (7 Jul - 13 Jul) and Danville IL (17 Jul - 23 Jul) to upgrade the networks at each of their VA Hospitals. As I really don't feel like making two separate sets of flights within 3 days of each other (too expensive for the government to be honest) and driving a rental/government car is just no fun (and again more expensive ultimately), I told my bosses I want to ride the bike out. However, Omaha is about a 750 mile ride just by the interstate from my house and though I am obviously going to use the Bandit which will make life a bit easier, it's still a long way. I am planning on making the trip in two days and will try to take some breaks along the way. Unfortunately, at least on the way out to Omaha, I will be on a time crunch so I won't be able to play around too much which is contrary to the way I prefer to ride.

With that said, what would people suggest for me to physically/mentally prepare for this type of ride? I am planning on a few training rides (one in a couple of weeks) that will probably go as far as Indianapolis on the slab before turning south and east for some fun riding on the way back home.

I am not so worried about the mechanical stuff at the moment but will be doing some of what I have done with my GS.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

400 mile days should be a snap on a B12. Go try one
    DonP will tell you 750 miles is an easy day
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Select the windshield with the least noise (I know you have a small selection available), get your throttle lock installed. Then go out an do the ride to Indy. Some fun on the way home might add some interest to that ride, but since you are prepping for a slab ride, it would be more practical to take I-74 to Cincinnati, then I-75 home. Round trip on that route is 'only' 257 miles, so do it twice.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Using a GPS is nice but not necessary. Ear plugs are necessary. In helmet music is also nice but not necessary. A throttle lock is necessary. Bring a tire plug kit and rain gear to ward off any that. If you have it you won't need it. Do not over eat, it will make you sleepy. Bananas and coffee in the morning, trail mix during the day, A nice dinner and beer in the evening. WATER, drink plenty of water during the day. I dedicate one saddle bag for a cooler. I like to leave early, and be off the road around 4-5:00. 400 mile days are easy, have fun.👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I lived in west central Indiana for 25 years, and often went to Cedar Rapids, by car and motorcycle.
          Avoid Chicago like the plague. I-80 truck traffic south of Chicago is extremely heavy.
          I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago also has heavy traffic
          I-74 to the Quad Cities is a good, fast route. Just enough rolling hills to please the eyes. Heavy traffic near and in Indianapolis. Time it to avoid week day rush hours, which are pretty long. Except for a couple of hours, taking it straight through Peoria is easy, and more interesting than the beltway. I-80 through Iowa has moderate traffic and rolling hills.
          For the return, I suggest meandering through southern Iowa and central Illinois, and cut through Indiana south of Indy.
          Have a nice ride, and let everyone know how it goes.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Don't try to hurry or ride at excessive speeds. That also tires you out. Keep the wheels turning because if you're stopping lots it adds up at the end of the day. On really long days (700-800) miles I make a point of taking a 5 - 10 break at gas stops only, rehydrate and have a small snack. Also on hot days I add a bit electrolyte to my water in the afternoon. A GPS is also very good for calculating your average speed and time to.destination, rarely use mine for actual route finding. To get and keep in shape for riding a motorcycle riding a bicycle is great.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
              I-80 through Iowa has moderate traffic and rolling hills.
              For the return, I suggest meandering through southern Iowa and central Illinois, ...
              To break it up a bit, you can also turn west at Galesburg, IL and take US 34 across Iowa. I have been that way, it's decent road.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

750 miles is a 12 hour ride on the interstate - (1000 miles in 16-17 hours)
                In summer that is not too bad as we have so many hours of daylight -
                But if its hot -- that will kick your butt -
                1/2 that on any day is easily do-able -
                Stay in the saddle as much as possible - Keep moving - avoid long breaks but take frequent breaks -
                On the Goldwing I can easily do 750 miles in a day -
                My longest ride on the GS850 has been 435 miles (twice)
                But I hope to do a longer run this summer
                Take good care of your body - fluids and light eating are good recommendations
                Ibuprofen will be your friend to keep the muscles from getting too sore -
                Cover your hands, face, neck , arms, legs, -- keep out of the sun - it will drain you and burn you
                Wear face protection - shield, etc. avoid dehydration - the wind will take moisture out of you so fast it is surprise you.

I have 3 certified IBA rides to my name and many others that I haven't certified.
                I can ride 500 miles in a day on either of my motorcycles - but my experience helps a lot
                I like to start EARLY in the day when its not too hot - and take a longish break for lunch around 2 (hotest part of the day)
                Longish means 30-45 minutes -- keeping moving is more important

Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Depending on the individual, I suppose, but the biggest things to me are highway pegs for an alternate riding position, an adjustable throttle tensioner for cruise control. and lower back support. I accomplish the latter by strapping on gear to serve as something to get my lower back into. A lot of guys will use bicycle shorts underneath for seat comfort. I'm gonna try that this year.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll get the throttle lock and put some rides in. I can't do the ibuprofen (I'm allergic) but will bring the Tylenol and already am geared up head to toe. I do need to start wearing ear plugs again because the wind coming off that screen is quite loud even with my music playing through the headset. I plan on putting the luggage back on shortly so I'll do a couple of test runs where I pack clothes for a week and have a small cooler too.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Looks like most people have the big things covered... FWIW, I typically ride with no windshield and a half helmet, however, If I know I need to do 'big miles' (greater than 500 a day) and mostly freeway, I will switch to a 3/4 helmet with the visor in place; makes a HUGE difference; full helmet obviously would do the same (I like to feel at least a little breeze). Having at least two positions for your feet, again big difference. I've never felt a need for a throttle lock...suppose it would be nice - may also want to try a cramp buster (my wife swears by them).

If you have problems with your hands going numb due to vibration may want to try some (decent) aftermarket grips... Have a set of Kuryakin (sp?) grips and hands haven't gone numb since. Biggest difference for me, was a set of Kuryakin pegs that were an inverted "L" shape, so they provided almost as much support as floor boards; although took me a bit to get the position dialed in. I can tell you that before I installed I needed to get off every 125-135 miles, now I can go tank to tank, which is typically 175 miles with a safe margin of error, and have pushed it to 200 miles without stopping.

As a rule of thumb, my wife and I can easily do 300 miles a day on leisurely back roads pretty easily. That's starting about 830a stands up (after a good breakfast of course) a one our stop around lunch, and a little bit of site seeing, and then checking into a hotel around 530-630.

EDIT:

This may seem obvious, but if you haven't taken the time to dial-in your bike to your most comfortable riding position, take the time to do so; play with handle bar angle/position, hand control positions, footpeg positions (if adjustable). Many people never bother, assuming a motorcycle is 'supposed to be' uncomfortable... best thing is, these changes don't cost a dime!
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                        Govt will usually only give you the lesser of re-constructed cost. So it's currently paying .51c per mile for bikes which works out to about $750 to $800 for 1500 miles, but if the flights only cost $400 that's likely all you'll get. Govt gets pretty cheap flights especially to major airports.

Govt will make out on your deal by not having to shell out for rental car.
                        Might also be better to not tell them you are RIDING out, tell them you are DRIVING and would like to collect the mileage.

You might have to explain an overnight stay, so be prepared to shell out for that one on your own.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks guys; I have certain rules to follow when requesting the travel and that includes detailing the cost differences between a common carrier (i.e. rental car/flight) and my POV to show if the POV is more advantageous. It is technically not more advantageous to use the bike by about 20 dollars (I would have thought otherwise) but so far leadership has approved the use of it knowing I won't be reimbursed as much. However, they made it known that I must use a government car if the local VA hospital (I work on a national team now not for the local VA) has one available for the time I need. The transportation folks will not be able to tell me for sure until late June so I am hoping I'll be able to work it out.
                          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-24-2018, 06:44 AM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

We've had threads on ear plugs. My favorite are 3M reusables, with an orange cord between them. Try out several types, find what works for you.

And I missed that you're riding in early July. Daytime highs are likely to be 90 or above, and the humidity will be high. My textile jacket has cuffs at the wrist that open wide, to catch air. It funnels up the sleeves and down the back, and makes a huge difference in comfort. I would still plan on getting off at least every two hours to re-hydrate and walk a few minutes. Oh, and Iowa interstates have full-service rest areas every 30 miles!
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Seems like a lot of red tape to go for a motorcycle ride. haha. Good luck Cowboy 👍
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X