Decisions, decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions, decisions

I don't ride newer stuff. I prefer the 80's if it comes right down to it. I've split the last couple of years between 2 bikes as daily drivers, a 1984 California II Moto Guzzi, and my 1981 Suzuki 850G. The Suzuki is getting long in the tooth, weeps a little oil here & there, and has been cobbled back together after not one, but two deer. But it runs good, always, and I don't worry about it on the road.The Guzzi is a different ride altogether, but serves the same purpose. Always runs good, never a drop of oil, stone reliable until last fall when it refused to downshift. Nothing broke, a tiny spot of corrosion inside the trans on a plate made a shifting piece stick on the upshift side of itself. But that required an extensive pull apart to rectify, and while it's down I'm going to refresh it a bunch, as it's beyond 100K. (These things are long lived). So, by accident along comes a 1977 Goldwing, and after some "back yard customizing" it seems to be serviceable. I rode it yesterday with the thought that I might do the weekend trips on it this year, with the 850 as a backup. It's smooth and torquey, shifts like butter, and all that. Today I rode the Suzuki again, and oil weeps and all the Goldwing is back on the back burner. I can't explain it, but I bet the GS850 guys understand full well.

I'm sure sorry mine is gone. It was not the fastest or best handling bike. But it is Smooooooth.
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Yes, I totally understand. Two of the nine bikes I've owned were 850's. Wait, two were KLR 650's too come to think of it. They go well together I suppose. If I had to choose which one to get rid of, I'd..um...well...glad I don't have to choose!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The GS850 is a great bike and I would have one if I could. Unfortunately, if I dropped it, there is no way in hell I could pick it up by myself.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          ... Today I rode the Suzuki again, and oil weeps and all the Goldwing is back on the back burner. I can't explain it, but I bet the GS850 guys understand full well.
          Yes, I understand it VERY well.

Years and years ago, I bought an issue of one of the magazines (Motorcylist? Cycle World? ???) because they had an article that featured the KZ1300 that I owned. It was a "Shaft Drive Shootout" comparison. They got an example of all the shafties that were available at the time (June/July 1979), which included the Goldwing (GL1000), BMW (don't remember which model), Yamaha XS1100, Kawasaki KZ1000ST and KZ1300 and the newly-released GS850. They almost didn't include the 850 because it was at a serious size disadvantage.

The test ride was from their offices in southern California to Daytona for the races, then back. I think they included at least a handlebar-mounted windshield, saddlebags and a luggage rack where they could. They switched bikes at every gas stop so everyone got several chances to ride each bike, and it did not take them long to figure out that the 850 was the most comfortable bike in the bunch. Not only were they hoping it was their turn next, there was some argument, trying to get another turn on it.

At the end of the test, the 850 was proclaimed the BEST of the then-available shaft-driven bikes.

Personally, I have a GL1500 sitting in the garage. In the last 16 months, it has moved a total of about 200 feet. I moved it from the garage to the shop to get it ready for a Veteran's Day parade that our group puts on, but it was cancelled due to weather, so when the driveway was clear enough, I moved it back to the garage. Yep, it hasn't even left the property in that amount of time. On the other hand the 850 did almost 5000 miles. I even ride it to our monthly Goldwing gatherings.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
            I'm sure sorry mine is gone. It was not the fastest or best handling bike. But it is Smooooooth.
            I was on the market for a bike after I got my endorsement and was lucky enough to find an '83 850G for 700 bucks in 2016. Grabbed my gear and the wife brought me to pick it up.

We then were heading to the Bangor Fair from Calais (a good 3 hour ride, in theory) but took a wrong turn (or forgot to turn, I forget which..) And wound up in Lincoln!

That turned the day trip to the fair into the best first ride I took in Maine. Easily put 300 miles on that day, blindly riding a new-to-me bike. And this was after at least 5 years without a bike at all, mind you, and it was like I'd never stopped. It's been impossible to give up the hot seat since then hahaha

I really love everything about it!
            Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
              ...........I really love everything about it!
              One thing I don't like about the 850 is how it made me hate the DL1000. I really wanted to like the V-Strom but getting off of it and onto the old GS made me wonder why I bothered with it. It was like going from an uncomfortable pair of hiking boots that you could climb straight up a mountain in to an already broken in, ridiculously comfy set of running shoes that I could gladly run around the mountain all day long in and eventually wind up on top.

After purchasing a Honda Rebel 250 for my first bike in 1991, I picked up an 81 GS 850G from a dealer. Rode it for a year and tried to switch to a Sportster 883, didn't like it. Also tried a GS 1100 L but couldn't get into it either. The 850 just won me over. I regretted selling that bike for many years so the legendary status just built in my mind until my kids were old enough and mostly moved out when I started looking for another GS. Even if I wind up selling this 83 850 G, which I have no intention to, I'm sure I'll wind up with another.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                One thing I don't like about the 850 is how it made me hate the DL1000. I really wanted to like the V-Strom but getting off of it and onto the old GS made me wonder why I bothered with it. It was like going from an uncomfortable pair of hiking boots that you could climb straight up a mountain in to an already broken in, ridiculously comfy set of running shoes that I could gladly run around the mountain all day long in and eventually wind up on top.

After purchasing a Honda Rebel 250 for my first bike in 1991, I picked up an 81 GS 850G from a dealer. Rode it for a year and tried to switch to a Sportster 883, didn't like it. Also tried a GS 1100 L but couldn't get into it either. The 850 just won me over. I regretted selling that bike for many years so the legendary status just built in my mind until my kids were old enough and mostly moved out when I started looking for another GS. Even if I wind up selling this 83 850 G, which I have no intention to, I'm sure I'll wind up with another.
                Well now I'm worried I'll never like another bike again hahaha.

I like the V-Strom, buuuuutt since I put dual sport tires on the 850, why would I bother?....

I see you enjoy your KLR at least, and that has also been on my list for years. Here in Maine, though, I want a bike I can ride all year. Ural will be my ultimate cold-climate machine.
                But Would I be opposed to a TW200? Hell no! I passed my rider course one one in Bucksport before I got the 850 and loved every second of it!
                Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X