Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what do you believe the GS stands for on our beloved steeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what do you believe the GS stands for on our beloved steeds?

Many threads have been posted, so many ideas, theories, assumptions on the true meaning of those two important letters. GS.
    No one has really been able to prove the answer until now. (maybe)
    Have Suzuki let the cat out the bag?
    Make your own mind up...........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Well I always reckoned it was Grand Sport... so it works for me

What's the X for in GSX though?
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I think we all kind of assumed it stood for Grand Sport, so at least we were close...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I didn't know that Bazzer cut his teeth on a GS1000; thought he'd already won a race or two before then...

And I always thought that the GS1000 was based on the 750, not an MV (unless the MV was running with a Z1 engine in it...).

Sloppy article, though I did always think it was Grand Sporting. My memory might be tricking me but I'm sure I heard it was coming when I went on a 'how to service the RE5' day.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yeah, Sheene was already double world champion by 1978, plus I don't think Mamola ever rode 4 strokes

I always thought that Suzuki, Kawasaki and MV borrowed tech from the 1957 Gilera GP bike

You know how to tune a RE 5??
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Good Suzuki, of course !

and GSX means Good Suzuki (Xtremely). But really I bet it means nothing except it differentiated from GT..or GR or whatever. It might have been a Development tag.

They (the GSs) are the very same in many ways and maybe it was the GS team of designers sharing drawings....now, If they'd gone crazy with the "Tempter" (a GR 650) and done a bunch of variations, we'd be wondering about that....about the GR 1000 "Hooker" or the GR 750 "Tart"
            Apparently the CB crowd has the same problem. People want to say Honda meant City Bike or something but it seems not. The CB series followed the CA series is all.

But looking around, when they add letters (like that X), that does mean something. In the case of X, it's definitely the top end with extra valves, and "TSCC " (twin swirl combustion chambers

Comment

That article suggests the MV engine was inspiration for the GS engine, but the KZ900 engine share a lot more similarities.
              Last edited by Nessism; 04-27-2018, 10:36 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This question has come up before. "Grand Sporting" sounds great and of course the "X" for 16V and finally the "R" for what would be the Race Replica, "Gixxer"!

Great history for the Suzuki brand.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Well I always reckoned it was Grand Sport... so it works for me

What's the X for in GSX though?
                  Grand
                  Sport
                  eXperimental

Comment

I've heard a lot of guys comment that if you're looking to get a old bike, you should get a GS because they were some really grand Sh!t. LOL
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

You know how to tune a RE 5??
                      Was sent to train on how to service them by Suzuki GB back in the day when I was a sprog. A long time ago and I can't remember very much - we never had a single one come in to the workshop.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        Was sent to train on how to service them by Suzuki GB back in the day when I was a sprog. A long time ago and I can't remember very much - we never had a single one come in to the workshop.
                        I only remember ever seeing one on the road (Brighton area). The guy who owned it always seemed to have the new Suzuki model the day it became available at Beamish Suzuki - remember them?
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

My buddy has three of them. One "runs", he's working today on it constantly. He told me the carbs have 23 adjustments
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            My buddy has three of them. One "runs", he's working today on it constantly. He told me the carbs have 23 adjustments
                            My understanding from back then was that any driveability issues during warranty that the dealers were not to touch the carbs, just replace them with ones from the factory that were all preset.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                            X