Tank bag suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank bag suggestions?

What's a decent, but not terribly expensive, tank bag that will fit on a '78 GS750?

I have a cheap bag with magnets that I used on a different bike but it's too long for the 750. It either covers the gas cap or pokes me in the belly when I try to use it.

I don't need a lot of space, just room for my phone, some papers, and an EZ-Pass transponder. A clear map pocket would be nice too but isn't a necessity.

Several years ago, I got my first tank bag. Have seen several in use, but never had one of my own, so had no idea what to look for. I found one that appeared to be rather decent size, and had zippers that allowed some expansion. Now, having used it a few times, I think it's about the smallest I would consider. That said, it does cover the gas cap on my 850. Yes, it's a bit inconvenient, but not really that much of a problem. Main section is about 9x12, has pouches/pockets on sides and back, also has a zip-off pouch with a window for maps. "Normal" height is about 6", a zipper will allow another 2" or so of height.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think just about every good sized bag will either cover the gas cap or hit you - at least that's been my experience. I kind of like it actually as I'll use it to brace against while I'm riding.
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll fiddle with the one I've got and see if I can find a comfortable position for it.

Comment

I'd never put a Tank Bag on any of my motorcycles. I wouldn't want to risk scratching the paint. I gess if the finish is already poor it would be okay. I just never liked them from the beginning...
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Cyclegear had some tiny magnetic ones on sale for $20. Bilt brand though. It should hold a phone and an ezpass, maybe a wallet and some folded papers. They're going out of stock...may have to find it in store if you have one around.

I have their saddlebags.... literally not worth another dollar more than I paid ($40).

Might have trouble getting one that doesnt block the fuel cap though.

Comment

I've been using the same River Road tank bag for some years, It's nice to have a quick and easy way to carry a few things without cluttering up the bike with a set of saddle bags. As for blocking the gas cap, I don't understand why that would be a concern. All you have to do with a magnetic bag is lift it up and move it back six inches to put gas in the tank. What's the big deal?
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                I'd never put a Tank Bag on any of my motorcycles. I wouldn't want to risk scratching the paint. I gess if the finish is already poor it would be okay. I just never liked them from the beginning...
                I've been using the same magnetic tank bag on the B12 since 05. It hasn't scratched the paint yet.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

100_2882.jpg I have been using a tank bag ever since I could lay my hands on one. All the important stuff goes in it, like tire gauge, compass, water, Pledge and a rag. This one goes from bike to bike.

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Tank Bags are great...and can be nice to rest my chest on.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      As for blocking the gas cap, I don't understand why that would be a concern. All you have to do with a magnetic bag is lift it up and move it back six inches to put gas in the tank. What's the big deal?
                      The one I have tried to blow off on the freeway once, so I wrap the strap around the front of the frame to help hold it down. But that makes it difficult to move it out of the way of the gas cap.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I've been using the same River Road tank bag for some years, It's nice to have a quick and easy way to carry a few things without cluttering up the bike with a set of saddle bags. As for blocking the gas cap, I don't understand why that would be a concern. All you have to do with a magnetic bag is lift it up and move it back six inches to put gas in the tank. What's the big deal?
                        I had a GS650E bike that liked to eat the foam underside of the mag tank bag when you mounted over the gas cap from fumes, but normally I mount those bags right over without issue. Other thing is if you're not careful when pulling bag away for fill-ups is if you let the magnets clank against the tank on re-positioning it. May scratch or leave a small ding. I never had expensive paint jobs to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                          I had a GS650E bike that liked to eat the foam underside of the mag tank bag when you mounted over the gas cap from fumes, but normally I mount those bags right over without issue. Other thing is if you're not careful when pulling bag away for fill-ups is if you let the magnets clank against the tank on re-positioning it. May scratch or leave a small ding. I never had expensive paint jobs to worry about.
                          I'll keep that in mind about gas fumes. The bag I have has some kind of vinyl on the bottom, so it'll probably turn gooey.

Paint isn't an issue. The bike still has a dent in the tank from where a previous owner dropped it on its side, and the rest of it looks like it had the same amount of care. It runs; that's all I wanted out of it.

Hmm. I wonder if turning the bag sideways will help.

Comment

Working...
                          X