Damaged steering stem while removing lower bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged steering stem while removing lower bearing

I used a chisel set to get my lower bearing off. I wasn't paying close enough attention and I put a deep gouge in the stem. Probably needs to be replaced, right?

Okay, so the 78 GS1000 and the 79 GS1000 have different part numbers for the triple tree. Does anybody know why?

1978 GS1000EC 51400-49810

1979 GS1000EN 51410-49070

Am I correct that the C means 1978, and the N means 1979? Some of the websites seem to offer both models for both years...

I haven't found a part fiche that calls those interchangeable or superseding one another.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I ended up ordering one because I am not comfortable with the risk. But here are the photos.
      20180504_184149.jpg

Comment

Photo two20180504_184115.jpg

Comment

I'm no expert, but I would have replaced that too.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post

1978 GS1000EC ...

1979 GS1000EN ...

Am I correct that the C means 1978, and the N means 1979? ..............
            Yes, The C and the N are year codes like you said. Model Year, not year of build.

I cant say anything about the difference in part number between the two years.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Can the stem be changed with a manual press? The guys at the auto hobby shop think I have to go somewhere with a hydraulic press. But they do have a manual one.

Comment

Personally, I would not worry about it.

Comment

Tough call. If it's on the side of the stem that would mostly be in compression, I'd be OK with it. I wouldn't use it with that crack starter on the tension side. I'd at least round out the bottom of the gouge so there wasn't a place for a crack to get started. If you found a replacement cheap, that's an easy decision.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    +1 on this.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Originally posted by aclaytonb View Post
                      +1 on this.
                      Me three.

For one, it's a gouge, not a crack.

That's an ENORMOUS piece of steel relative to the loads it carries. The aluminum triple clamps would fail long before a steering stem could be deformed.

Still, I don't have it in my hands, so that's not 100%.

The other factor is psychological -- if you would not be able to completely forget about this while you're riding, then it's worth replacing.

For example, I've replaced many tires that could have gone much further simply because I did not want the issue taking up any brainspace at all while riding. You have to trust your machine.

I'm pretty sure you'll need a hydraulic press if you're only replacing the stem; a manual arbor press isn't going to do much, at least none of the ones I've seen. Obviously, it's a pretty heavy press fit.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Medium sized shop press. Have to grind the weld off the bottom, press out the old stem, press in new stem, reweld. I'd just buy a new (used) one before I did all that. I'd put some JB weld in the gouge and call it a day before I bought a new one.

Comment

I'd just repair it. Sand, file or grind off any protruding surface area then fill it back up with JB Weld or MIG weld up the gouge and file it to shape.
                          GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

What he said......

Comment

Further to my other post and in line with some other recommendations. The only possible failure would be a fatigue fracture that might start at where the damage occurred. This is where you would want to grind out the cut to avoid any sharp inside edges that might start a potential crack. Yes you make the part stronger by removing material. It would be overkill to try and weld and fill the hole, and JB weld would do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X