Anything annoy you street riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything annoy you street riding?

I found I've been riding less on the street after discovering trackdays.
    The need to go for a ride is lessened.

The last 4 days though, I put about 300 miles on the 1150ES, as the Kat is wounded.
    Actually I pulled the motor a week ago, wondering what to do next.
    Wish I knew how to post a audio clip for all to hear the nasty sounds and where to go with it from my android phone.
    Only 400 miles with new/used top end, new pistons, rings, gaskets, stator, starter clutch etc, and now this horrible noise.
    Did probably 20 heat cycles, changed oil/filter 4 times, varied rpms, cooled it inbetween 20 minute blips.
    Engine is just sitting there on a block of wood in the garage waiting for me to do something with it.
    So relegated to the ES for my outlet.

I've enjoyed riding the ES, it's a pignoramous, but my mindset has changed toward riding on the street.
    Way more low key and relaxed then in the past, but the annoyances have mounted.
    So many OMG what are u doing moments in front of me, that it's almost frustrating to go for a ride and enjoy it.
    Even at a more relaxed pace, with more patience then before, I find myself cursing in my helmet at the cagers in front doing whatever they do.
    This is on backroads, not on the interstate, I've learned to go with the flow there.
    Seems more cagers are clogging up the roads, being distracted by phones and driver aids.
    Maybe the Seventies were a better time to be a street rider.
    Anyone else have these moments?
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Nope. Never.

And if you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try riding in Central Fl., where most are from somewhere else, don't know where they're going and have brought their bad habits with them. It's tough riding out there now a days, but it's still better than sitting on a couch and paying $100 bucks an hour complaining about things.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Based on my riding time from Jan 2013 in dover, Delaware and then riding in Alamogordo, New Mexico from Oct 2013, (yes, 2 different environments) I can't remember having more complaints than joyful rides.

Trent started a thread concentrating more on the negative things people do in their daily activities on the road. I suggested changing venues or simply looking at the positive side of things.

As for track days...people have always told me a track day would change my mind about regular street riding because you can go as fast as you want in controlled environment. I think street riding is good regardless of the speed limits and somewhat negligent drivers.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

"Wish I knew how to post a audio clip for all to hear the nasty sounds and where to go with it from my android phone." Youtube it then post the link into here

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            Try riding in Central Fl., where most are from somewhere else, don't know where they're going and have brought their bad habits with them. It's tough riding out there now a days, but it's still better than sitting on a couch and paying $100 bucks an hour complaining about things.
            That's pretty much the same with me. Living on the border, we get tons of Mexicans that not only don't care how they drive, expect everybody else to drive like them. Between Mexicans and winter Texans (Canadians) it can be pure hell at times.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

My problem is with the old people driving. I had a old lady pull into my lane last night. Just because you pass a drivers test once at 16 doesn't mean you can pass it at 80! My solution is; You can get a drivers license at 16 (maybe younger for farm boys). If you cause a accident, you must retake the test. You turn 60, retake the test and then every 5 years after that. You can be 100 years old and still drive... as long as you can pass the driving test. What could the opposition be? "You failed the test Mrs. Smith but since you're 80 years old, and you passed the driving test 60 years ago, we'll still give you a drivers license" ludicrous!
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'll bet the firs guy to roll a cart complained about how the second guy rolled his. Nothing new under the sun.

But.... I'll play along and say when I get a green light I pause for a second and look for traffic. Whether in a cage or on a bike it's just habit. The other day I started my left turn at an intersection driving my Tacoma pickup and struggled to get a good view of traffic lanes to my right. I had the green light and it should have been fine, but I habitually wanted to verify nobody ran the light and slammed into my passenger side. The driver behind me impatiently laid on his horn. That's my gripe, they blow the horn if somebody doesn't instantly react to a green light, while in the other direction the driver may not instantly react to a red light either. Heck, forget instantly, they may not react to a red light at all. Blowing through it looking at the bowl of cereal they're eating!
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Well, sure you can't ride within 50% of your bike's or your own capability on the streets and roads, but tracks days average $200 each, that adds up real quick. Plus a lot of people crash there every day, mostly just low siders by novices, but some high sides too. Just look at the bikes of the regular track riders, all scuffed up.
                  The streets and roads, you can find a few corners you can lean down on, but with many assorted hazards you have to trust your luck with.
                  Mostly you can only ride fast and enjoy the landscapes.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                    That's pretty much the same with me. Living on the border, we get tons of Mexicans that not only don't care how they drive, expect everybody else to drive like them. Between Mexicans and winter Texans (Canadians) it can be pure hell at times.
                    Hey!!! We're good drivers up here. Maybe we're just not used to other vehicles on the road at the same time. LOL.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Back in my early riding days it was mainly the elderly that I had to worry about, and my closest call ever, which was probably as close as one can get and not crash, was an elderly left turner. Now its that AND cellphone using oblivious drivers....... and pedestrians.

Per Norm's retesting comment, the topic comes up time to time here, but politicians won't that with a ten foot pole.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I could compile a long list of things that annoy the he!! out of me, and they are all the same things whether I am in the Subaru, riding a bicycle, or on the motorcycles. Most of them involve inattentive, self-absorbed, impatient driving.

While much of the time it's not as big a deal in the car (they tend to see the car more often) or bicycle (where I have more time to react), the motorcycle cranks it up a notch as I am moving faster than they expect, so I have to be way more defensive in my approach. Just this morning, I got cut off by a left-turning rubbish mover, while wearing my bright-yellow riding jacket and helmet. There wasn't even sun behind for me to get lost in.

Like Burque said, over or inappropriate use of a horn is another one. I've actually seen young drivers roll into an unsafe situation because someone honked at them.

While we're at it, I hate that when stopped for pedestrians, traffic continues to blow by me on the right, and sometimes drivers do the same thing coming the opposite direction (see point #1)
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'll tell you one thing that drives me frickin bonkers. When a car stopped at an intersection, driveway, etc, starts to roll out into the lane before I have cleared the intersection. DON'T YOU EFFING MOVE YOU PIECE OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            Based on my riding time from Jan 2013 in dover, Delaware and then riding in Alamogordo, New Mexico from Oct 2013, (yes, 2 different environments) I can't remember having more complaints than joyful rides.

Trent started a thread concentrating more on the negative things people do in their daily activities on the road. I suggested changing venues or simply looking at the positive side of things.

As for track days...people have always told me a track day would change my mind about regular street riding because you can go as fast as you want in controlled environment. I think street riding is good regardless of the speed limits and somewhat negligent drivers.

Ed
                            Great post, Ed. I agree. I don't ride for speed any longer. That's a young man's game, and I want to ride well into old age. I just enjoy getting out on a bike. I have found that I enjoy riding out of town on longer trips more than any other kind of riding.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

By far, my number 1 bitch is tail gators. It hacks me off when someone just has to get where they are going six feet sooner and glues themselves to my butt and closes a ten foot gap to make me go faster. I'm most always about ten over the limit anyhow, but you think they would pass and be on their way, Noooo,
                              Last edited by earlfor; 05-21-2018, 12:53 PM.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X