Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anypne fitted a modern L.E.D headlight on a GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anypne fitted a modern L.E.D headlight on a GS1000?

Has anyone tried fitting one of the new range of L.E.D style headlights on a GS100?

something similar to this....l..e.d headlight.jpgor one of a dozen different types?

Get the Trucklite - I have it on my 550s and Steve has them on his 850s. They are expensive if you buy brand new although Steve found some on EBay for much cheaper that had minor defects. You'll need a bucket that will fit a 7" light and obviously the fork ears may need to be swapped out to fit.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, I agree on the Trucklite.

Yes, they are expen$ive.

Of course, Chinese knock-offs are available much cheaper, but there are the usual questions about quality and durability.

However, if you do any riding at night, the co$t is worth it. The light is SO much better. Besides being brighter, the pattern on the road is great.

Cowboyup mentioned needing a 7" headlight bucket. That is only a concern if you have an "L" or "T" model. If you have an "E" or "G" model, you already have a 7" bucket and the LED 'bulb' is a drop-in fit. Simply "plug and play".

For those who might have an '80/'81 750E or 1100E with the rectangular headlight, they are available, too. Just a little more co$t, but still worth it. I have one of the rectangular ones in my 850's fairing. My son will have a round one in his Vetter fairing on his 1000G as soon as all the body work gets back from the paint shop. My wife currently has an older-generation Trucklite LED on her 850L, but we have a newer version here, ready to install.

Besides the co$t, you should also know that it looks a bit "different". If you are trying to preserve the look of a vintage bike down to the last detail, this will not be the light for you, but if you are more concerned with function than appearance, it's the best thing ever.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Safe bet if you go with an expensive Truck-Lite or JW Speaker. View this first if you are considering a cheap Chinese generic:

Comment

Note that taking the Load off of running the standard bulb will increase load on the RR / Stator unless you are using a series version RR...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Steve, is this the Truck-lite model you are using? #27270C?
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yes, that is the light, and that is the seller where I got the rectangular one for my bike.

However, you can do better:

$151.94 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Lite-...AAAOSwahZay3eO

$156.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Lite-...YAAOSwehZZ905P

Free shipping on both.

When I was shopping for our lights a couple of weeks ago, I got lucky. The cheapest ones I found were for $156, or $312 for the pair. I did a bit more browsing and found a pair for $250, but had the connectors removed. I got a pair of connectors for less than $5 and soldered them in place.

Last edited by Steve; 05-14-2018, 11:48 PM.
              sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Not true to O/E, but....

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Yes, they are expen$ive.

Of course, Chinese knock-offs are available much cheaper, but there are the usual questions about quality and durability.

However, if you do any riding at night, the co$t is worth it. The light is SO much better. Besides being brighter, the pattern on the road is great.

Cowboyup mentioned needing a 7" headlight bucket. That is only a concern if you have an "L" or "T" model. If you have an "E" or "G" model, you already have a 7" bucket and the LED 'bulb' is a drop-in fit. Simply "plug and play".

For those who might have an '80/'81 750E or 1100E with the rectangular headlight, they are available, too. Just a little more co$t, but still worth it. I have one of the rectangular ones in my 850's fairing. My son will have a round one in his Vetter fairing on his 1000G as soon as all the body work gets back from the paint shop. My wife currently has an older-generation Trucklite LED on her 850L, but we have a newer version here, ready to install.

Besides the co$t, you should also know that it looks a bit "different". If you are trying to preserve the look of a vintage bike down to the last detail, this will not be the light for you, but if you are more concerned with function than appearance, it's the best thing ever.

I have kept it all original equipment to a degree.
                I am fitting Nitrogen reservoir rear shocks with a red reservoir to complement the decal colors, and i am painting the front brake calipers a similar red to match, so not exactly as it left the factory.
                I have clearwater lights on my BMW so i might just go with a set of them on some engine bars instead/as well?

Comment

Originally posted by gdayjr View Post
                  I have clearwater lights on my BMW so i might just go with a set of them on some engine bars instead/as well?
                  If you have Clearwater lights, you are already well-acquainted with sticker shock. I have never seen any in person, let alone ridden a bike that has them, but at that price, I would certainly hope they are worth the price.

While there is a definite advantage of having a pair of lights on the engine bars, you don't need anything quite that expensive to do the job effectively.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Expensive..yes.
                    The best lights i have ever had on a motorbike......yes.
                    Worth the money.....yes...to me

I can't speak highly enough about them, they back it up with service and advise as well.
                    Ride a bike with them on, and you will be convinced.

I don't just want to be seen, i want to see where i am going in the dark.
                    Too many critters come out after sunset here in Australia to ride with **** poor headlights that manufacturers seem to think are satisfactory.
                    They have not progressed since i first owned a bike 40 years ago.
                    $30k for my BMW and headlights that are no help what so ever.
                    The stock one on my Suzuki is just as bad.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

I agree on the poor-quality lights on most of the bikes available today. I have not ridden any of the newest generation bikes that come from the factory with LED or HID lights to see if they are any better, but I have had several "classic" bikes with various versions of headlights, ranging from sealed beam to several different lens patterns on an H4 setup. NONE of them compares favorably to the TruckLite units I have installed.

My Goldwing has a 2-bulb H4 headlight system that is pretty darn good. Much better than the lights on my minivan. The newer 1800 Wings (2001-2017) also had a 2-bulb headlight, but it was considerably different, and it was better than mine. I still prefer the single TruckLite on my GS.

You might still want some pencil beam driving lights if you do high-speed riding in the Outback, but for most riding at relatively sane speeds, the TruckLite will do just fine.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If you have an "E" or "G" model, you already have a 7" bucket and the LED 'bulb' is a drop-in fit. Simply "plug and play".
                        Steve, is there anything more specific than the 27270C desgination for the unit for my 850 (81)?

Is it essentially a sealed beam unit that you just put in the bracket and plug in?
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Yes, it's a replacement for the entire lamp. Take the glass reflector and lens out of the aiming frames and replace it with the LED lamp.

You'll love it. I used to outshine semis in the dead of night, until they started getting them too.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yes, Don, it's "plug and play". It's a bit fiddly getting the old headlight out of the aiming frames, as Dogma calls them, but the TruckLite goes right in with no modification.

When it's all in and done, it's time to aim it. On low beam, the up/down aiming will be rather obvious. The cut-off can be placed about license plate height of the car ahead of you, it won't shine throught their windows. There is a bright spot that should be aimed along the white line on the right. All three of our lights show it as a "V" that is easily seen. Makes it nice and easy to see the edge of the road.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I've got one on order. The 850 I got has stock wiring with no relays at this point. With the standard H4 unit you needed a relay to get any illumination beyond a mild yellow glow. Is that still the case with the Trucklite? Steve, in another thread you talked about using a master relay for the whole bike/system. Would you have a picture or description of where and how you have that hooked up? I assume that would accomplish what is needed for the Trucklite. It shows 12/24 as opposed to the regular headlight's 55/60. I also ordered a series RR to keep that 43/36 difference from hitting the stator.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                              X