Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally added my tool and provisions bag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally added my tool and provisions bag!

I had wanted to have a bag for some tools and some spare parts and just generally to carry a few things like my locks and general small junk. I have made fork mounted tool rolls many times in the past but didnt want that for this project so I made a one sided small saddle bag.

Its 11 inches wide by 9 inches high and about 3 inches wide. The body is made out of 8/9oz veg tan leather and the straps are 10/12 oz burgundy latigo with stainless roller buckles.

I could have made it so it was parallel to the floor but .. I just thought it looked a bit more sporty on an angle. Anyway ... now I have a place for some junk that I don't have to stuff in my pockets and a little extra room for some water bottles and sandwiches.

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Very traditional. And it's leather, so it'll look even better after 20 years or so of weathering.

Now how about a neat little tailbag fitted to that KG rack?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You need a place to put stuff.....nice bag !

It would be hard to put something on that bike to make it look bad. That is a clean lookin ride !
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-17-2018, 10:17 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        You need a place to put stuff.....nice bag !

It would be hard to put something on that bike to make it look bad. That is a clean lookin ride !
        My wife uses our one and only car. I work from home but if I have to run errands or just go out for giggles it's the gs. So I need some hauling ability which is why the rack reappeared

Comment

Just need a milk crate
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sharp bike! And that's a nice looking piece of leatherwork. Would you consider making one to sell?

Comment

Bwringer the only problem is the chances of me or the bike being around in 20 years are pretty slim!!

Think I will have to will it to someone. My saddlebags last forever. I usually just land up selling them when I sell the bike but the wife and I have decided we love the gs so we are just going to keep repairing it until there are no more parts.

Now that all you guys helped me get her running and tuned nicely I am on to cleaning and embellishments! YAY

Hinermad ... I not only cut and dye all the leather but I hand stitch every piece. A hand stitch will be far more durable than any machine stitch and they wont just unravel if some of the stitches get cut. Its laborious but I enjoy it and you will never see one of my bags unravel. While I didnt post it to solicit work I do sell leatherwork. Lately its mostly been holsters because of where I live and I have developed a fair size holster following but when I was in NYC it was almost all motorcycle and horse bags.

Im not sure if it is permissible to add a link and if so I apologize to the powers and just remove it but here is my web site

www.boriqualeather.com

I am not a big business. I had an awesome career in design and production of large scale exhibits and environments but started leather work in 91. Now that I am semi retired I returned to it full time.

Now my only concern is whether my cobbled together supports will hold up. Going to test them out this weekend.

Alex
              Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks Alex. I did see that you're in the business, which is why I asked. I'll move further discussion to your site.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                  Thanks Alex. I did see that you're in the business, which is why I asked. I'll move further discussion to your site.
                  Awesome .. I look forward to hearing from you. I do like going over all the options to make something specific to your needs and desires.
                  Alex

Comment

Alright!! my supports worked. I wrapped two 5 lb dumbbells in some old teeshirts so they wouldn't bounce around to much and off for a spirited ride. Came home and the bag was still perpendicular to the floor!

First thing in was some ear buds. I get lost going down the block and a few weeks ago was hopelessly lost and pulled over and of course you cant see the screen of your phone in even partial sun light and I dont have a mount on my bike anyway. In go the ear buds and I hit up google maps and back on track. Now I am selecting my tool package for onboard.

Going to do some searching here and see what are bare essentials. May look up the old kit that came with these and see what Suzuki included.

Comment

10 and 12MM sockets AND wrenches are must haves. A medium size adjustable wrench for rear axle nut if you ever have chain issues. Needle nose pliers for cotter pins. Phillips and Flat screwdrivers. Flashlight. A pair of mechanics gloves and a rag, or few paper towels. This would make for a decent basic kit.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X