Uncaged idiotic cager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncaged idiotic cager

We have all seen the idiot cagers on the road who drive dangerously maintained vehicles while talking, texting, or staring at their little hand held boxes. Yet how many of us have had the opportunity to see one BEFORE they get into their cage? Well, tonight I had such an opportunity upon preparing to leave a restaurant with the guys I worked with this week. We will refer to this guy as Bob to keep his real name safe.

When we walked out I noticed the right front tire of the SUV Bob drove was flat. When I said something to him, Bob said it doesn’t look too bad. As we got closer however we noticed not only was it flat but that the rim was pretty much touching the ground. I once again said something to which Bob replied it would be good enough to get back to our hotel. Well, that about set me off but what really made my evening was his response to my next question - which way was he going back as in via the highway or city streets? He immediately replied whichever way was faster back to the hotel. You’d better believe I quickly put my gear on and started up the Bandit. I then walked over to the other two guys I worked with to shake their hands goodbye asking one of them to ensure Bob didn’t leave until long after I was gone. I then mounted up and made it back to the hotel before he did.

Tomorrow I’m headed home and will do everything possible to not be on the same road Bob could be by dropping south then east breathing a big sigh of relief once I get back into Ohio
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Why go a round about way home? You're on a Bandit, just leave him behind.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I bet Bob will after knowingly driving on an unsafe tire for god knows how long will **** and moan at the cost of a new tire and possibly new wheel.

Comment

People do still surprise me...and are capable of some terrible things. Right off the bat, if Bob did not want to put on the spare tire, that tells me he doesn't care about safety. Maybe he doesn't have sound judgement. Maybe he's dumb or just lazy. Boy, all this thinking concentrated at one individual? It's a snowball effect because of all the possibilities of outcomes based on this guy's decision not to fix his tire situation.

All you can do is make the suggestion...people will make their own decisions that we may/may not like. You can control your actions and avoiding him on the road was the best decision.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          Why go a round about way home? You're on a Bandit, just leave him behind.
          Understood Rick and I can see why you would suggest that (I love its power). But with my luck I would have ended up leaving after him and getting stuck in his mess. Even before last night I already wanted to take the long way home; but, his attitude just added fuel to the fire to do so. Fortunately, I left before 8am today and saw his SUV still sitting in the hotel parking lot with the same flat tire. Hopefully no one else had to deal with his crap today

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Was this work related? I wouldn't want anyone working for me to drive that way on anything job related, to avoid any possibility of liability. Nor would I want anyone around with such a poor attitude to safety and to details.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I think some people just don't understand the physical world of machines. My Mom is like that -- she can talk anyone into anything, so she figures she can always talk the tire into making it just a few more miles.

My wife Marge does this too, sometimes. We were a good five to ten years into our marriage before I finally got her to consistently TELL ME when anything, anything at all, seemed the least bit "off" with one of our vehicles. Sound, smell, feel, lights, ANYTHING. She drives a lot for her job, and we've headed off so much expense and danger because I can deal with things before they turn into disasters.

We've had the whole "do NOT drive that one more inch" conversation once or twice; "but I just need to go here and there blah blah blah one more time, then I'll bring it home". "Nope, I mean do NOT drive. At all. Call a Lyft."
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                I think some people just don't understand the physical world of machines. My Mom is like that -- she can talk anyone into anything, so she figures she can always talk the tire into making it just a few more miles.

My wife Marge does this too, sometimes. We were a good five to ten years into our marriage before I finally got her to consistently TELL ME when anything, anything at all, seemed the least bit "off" with one of our vehicles. Sound, smell, feel, lights, ANYTHING. She drives a lot for her job, and we've headed off so much expense and danger because I can deal with things before they turn into disasters.

We've had the whole "do NOT drive that one more inch" conversation once or twice; "but I just need to go here and there blah blah blah one more time, then I'll bring it home". "Nope, I mean do NOT drive. At all. Call a Lyft."
                I hear ya. My wife is like that. Absolutely the least mechanically minded person I have ever known. LOL I'll put my wife against yours for the honor anytime. heh ehe
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                  Was this work related? I wouldn't want anyone working for me to drive that way on anything job related, to avoid any possibility of liability. Nor would I want anyone around with such a poor attitude to safety and to details.
                  We had finished for the day and actually for the entire week and were having dinner afterwards. But I will say that Bob's attention to detail during the week was less than impressive

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Seems likely that Bob has more serious problems than his vehicle maintenance and attention to detail at work. Those are just symptoms.
                    sigpic
                    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Working...
                    X