Hot Start Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Start Problem

Took the bike out on Sat, started fine from cold.
    Drove into town, stopped at bank, wouldn't restart, barely turns over, till it cooled down, 20mins maybe, starts right up.
    Never did this before.
    Any ideas as to the cause, and how I can test for the problem?

Thanks

82 Kat 1100
    Last edited by johnod; 06-04-2018, 09:53 PM.
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Originally posted by johnod View Post
    Took the bike out on Sat, started fine from cold.
    Drove into town, stopped at bank, wouldn't restart, barely turns over, till it cooled down, 20mins maybe, starts right up.
    Never did this before.
    Any ideas as to the cause, and how I can test for the problem?

Thanks

82 Kat 1100
    My 78 1000 used to do that until I replaced the starter.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks

I kinda figured either that, or coils.

Was hoping someone else would weigh in too.
      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
      New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
        Thanks

I kinda figured either that, or coils.

Was hoping someone else would weigh in too.
        I wouldn't think it as the coils, because that might make it difficult to start but shouldn't have any effect on how fast the starter spins the motor (in fact it might spin faster if the coils were a problem). So its probably a starter or battery issue.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
          I wouldn't think it as the coils, because that might make it difficult to start but shouldn't have any effect on how fast the starter spins the motor (in fact it might spin faster if the coils were a problem). So its probably a starter or battery issue.
          I'm thinking most likely a faulty battery causing the problem.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Have you done anything with the coils recently? It could be a symptom of them being wired backwards (spark then jumps the wrong way), can’t remember if that’s possible on a GS but it’s a hot start symptom on old cars...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Like Earl said, battery. I'd check the battery condition first. A battery with low voltage will struggle to crank the motor, especially when hot.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If the battery checks out I'd suggest looking at the starter motor bushes and armature. Symptoms are classic for those being worn or dirty.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Have you done anything with the coils recently? It could be a symptom of them being wired backwards (spark then jumps the wrong way), can’t remember if that’s possible on a GS but it’s a hot start symptom on old cars...
                  Does not matter if it's possible or not, or even if it does actually happen.

There are two leads on each coil. The coil is actually in the center, electrically, with one wire going each direction. That means, for example, that on #1, the spark will jump from the center of the spark plug to the side electrode, but #4 will jump from the side electrode to the center. Reversing the direction, as you suggest, will only change which spark jumps which way, but normal operation on our bikes will have two sparks jumping in one direction and the other two sparks jumping in the other direction.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for input, was away for a few days.
                    Nope no change on coils, will check starter.
                    New project 1979 GS1000S

Comment

Working...
                    X