Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tank mounting rubber parts. Guy kinda stranded in Detroit area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank mounting rubber parts. Guy kinda stranded in Detroit area.

Maybe you saw the posting about the guy ( grcamna2) riding a bicycle from California to Detroit, to pick up a 82 GS450TX and riding it back to CA.
    Sounds adventurous, eh .....

Turns out the bike needed some work.
    Rusty Bronco has helped him with some work.
    (There is lots more to the story that can be found in the posting.)

He is wanting to get back on the road in 2-3 days, but is still needing some of the tank mounting rubber parts. You know, those pesky parts that are real good at rolling away when you are not looking and go hide somewhere.
    Anybody in Detroit area have any they can get to him.....?
    Anybody in mid-west....?

Here are more details:
    Last edited by Redman; 06-04-2018, 11:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Babbitts in Muskegon should be able to overnight them. If they have any in stock.

Comment

It's just a hunk of rubber. Improvise.

I've made these before out of a large rubber cork from a real hardware store. Match the OD somewhat, pop it in the freezer for a bit, carefully and slowly drill a center hole, then slice off the excess. It's a bit tapered, or you can get one that's a little larger and then shave the OD down. It's OK to be messy and imprecise -- no one's going to see the thing.

The rubber from an expanding pipe plug is another good source of the raw material, possibly even better because it's already got a large center hole and it's easily available at a big box home store.

I bet a clever person could also mold one from RTV.

Lots of ways to approach this.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I agree with bwringer here, Dave, you are the best, but from what I have seen of the thread recently, this guy is being a bit dense, I mean, for crying out loud, some gorilla tape wrapped around the posts would suffice. If he is not getting on the road due to this issue, maybe....MAYBE....he is underqualified to ride a 35+ year old bike across the country? IMPROVISE, BROTHER.

EDIT: I should add, I admire and respect your ability to do this trip, it is something I would never have the ba!!s to do. Sorry If I came off as snide or a prig. Now srsly....improvise something. You can do iiiiiiiiiit.
        Last edited by greg78gs750; 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          It's just a hunk of rubber. Improvise.

I've made these before out of a large rubber cork from a real hardware store. Match the OD somewhat, pop it in the freezer for a bit, carefully and slowly drill a center hole, then slice off the excess. It's a bit tapered, or you can get one that's a little larger and then shave the OD down. It's OK to be messy and imprecise -- no one's going to see the thing.

The rubber from an expanding pipe plug is another good source of the raw material, possibly even better because it's already got a large center hole and it's easily available at a big box home store.

I bet a clever person could also mold one from RTV.

Lots of ways to approach this.
          Yep, most anything will do. Plywood, rubber, electrical tape wrapped gatorade bottle cap, stack of washers wrapped in electrical tape, etc.;
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I too was thinking his plan had many potentials for problems.

But, I also though more folks would be willing to help, if they saw what parts the PO had lost.
            These parts may be extra parts just laying around on someones bench, or on a parts bike that could be replaced for 7 bucks on next parts order if they were needed. Yah, these parts are not really "stranding" the guy, something could be improvised in both cases, and is why I said "sorta stranded".

Just thought more folks would be willing to help/participate in the guys adventure.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yer a good egg, Dave. Looks like he is waiting on a fuel T now....now that is a legit issue.....If I was closer/had the parts I would help out buuuut......
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

about the tank rubbers- to get you home? just put the tank back on the bike! lol
                Originally posted by tkent02
                That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                John 3:16

Comment

I really think that we should all be helping each other out to the best of our ability, but also don't think it's really fair to come up with a half thought through plan and then rely on others to fill in the gaps. I can imagine that it's a hard situation to be in if the bike wasn't in the condition he expected it in, but if it were me I would have made sure with the PO that I understood what the condition of the bike in and what needed to be done as much as possible. Ordering parts takes days or WEEKS so I don't really understand what the plan for getting it on the road in a timely manner was...

When I went on a cross country trip I purchased the bike months in advance and then spent a lot of time getting it on the road to make sure things things were all ironed out. All that being said, good on everybody for helping out. If I were close by I would try to do the same.
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

So did this guy get to start his journey home yet? I agree with Gabe, put the tank on and start riding. It won't fall off the posts. Might rattle a bit... The guy (IMO) is a little nuts if you ask me. Less for expecting to ride an untested, unknown 30+ year old motorcycle cross country. But to ride a bicycle all the way across the country, to buy an unknown motorcycle?!? Will make for an interesting story later on... Hope he makes it ok...
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

My understanding is that he (Bill) has ordered some replacment tank mounting parts (and carb tees). He has also said "have found some" of the tank mounting parts.

So, the usefullness of this posting has passed.

See his posting for additional things and for furter updates.

Comment

Working...
                      X