Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1250 "Bandit" no longer being made? Any other suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1250 "Bandit" no longer being made? Any other suggestions?

Been doing a little shopping to find what will probably be my last bike. I'm putting more emphasis on how easy the bike will be to work on since I really don't want to deal with mechanics anymore.
    I like the new Kawasaki retro 900's, the Suzuki GSXS1000, the Honda Interceptor and the Yamaha FZ9. However, they all have the "shim under bucket" design now and that (to me) makes a basic maintenance item like valve clearance adjustments, a pain. I thought the Suzuki valve design would be the exception but Suzuki's have changed. So I checked out the 1250 which didn't require cam removal but the Suzuki website only listed 2016 as the latest model. So I assume the GSXS (standard) has replaced the 1250? I was fairly set to accept the 1250's blah looks because I've heard it's an otherwise great bike.
    So it appears all the Japanese (and others?) have gone to the shim under bucket design? The new bikes are so much harder to work on with the lack of space and having to tear the bike apart, just to inspect/adjust the valve clearances. I'm not alone with my distrust of mechanics doing work like this so owning a bike I can't work on isn't an option.
    I was planning on selling both my '07 ZX14 and my '79 GS1000E if I could find a good replacement bike to ride into my mid-70's and then hang 'em up. Now I may have to just keep the GS and see how it goes. The GS is in great shape but I really wanted to have that peace of mind a new bike provides on long trips.
    Are there any brands out there that are still easier to work on and reliable as the Japanese?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Why not just get a low mile late model Bandit. There has to be some adult owned low mileage, well maintained Bandits out there. We just got a 2012 CBR600RR with 5K on the clock and it's show room ready, smooth and not a single squeak or rattle. Do a Search Tempest search for one. Here is a left over zero mile '16 Bandit in FL for $6,999.

Last edited by gsrick; 06-08-2018, 07:51 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Pay a dealership to do the maintenance.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Couple of ideas from opposite ends of the spectrum....

- New bike service intervals are much longer then our GSs.

- Member Sam00lee rode his GS 750 with his friend on a GS 550 around the country last summer with the only glitch being a points failure which is easily remedied with electronic ignition, providing yet again that our old machines are, or can be made, to be up to the task.

Just throwing it out there.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I got my Bonneville, coming up to 5K miles... Minor issue with the Radiator but the $600 part is under a 3 year unlimited mile warranty, free fix whenever I want to ride in to fix. I'm running 90HP 90ft/lbs of torque, handles amazing. Cruise control, traction control, wheelie control and ABS. 20K mile valve checks, 10K mile oil changes(yes that's what the motor is designed for), easy on tires, easy on gas at last tank with 56MPG on 87 octane...

I do all my own work, wicked easy to work on all you need is some metric tools and good mechanical skills...

I love my T120... Buying new has its perks

Do yourself a favor and DONT BUY A HARLEY! haha
          Last edited by Jedz123; 06-08-2018, 10:26 PM.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Why not an FJR 1300?
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              Why not an FJR 1300?
              Good option. New or used...
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Agreed. I wanted one as it's a better ride for a passenger, although Charmayne hasn't had an issue yet on the Bandit. The biggest reason I didn't get one though is the top heaviness of the bike in slow speed maneuvering especially where you might have a sloped driveway like I do.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That makes sense. Though I still love big bikes, I'm finding the thought of a cheap, lightweight commuter more and more attractive.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

That makes sense. Though I still love big bikes, I'm finding the thought of a cheap, lightweight commuter more and more attractive.
                    It's nice to fire up the TUX and scoot through construction and get to the grocery store... However the T120 it really is jack of all trades. Small enough for the short running stuff, powerful enough for the big miles, comfy enough for 2-up(I LOVE my bench seat) . I wasn't sold on anything but the new Z900RS which was all sold out, knowing that the T120 would meet everything I needed in my daily ridden motorcycle it was easy to pull that trigger on the Triumph.

If you can work on a GS you can work on the T120. I'm done with yards of plastic covering everything.

I couldn't love the new Yamaha's. Just so cheap looking... Guess I'm getting old but I'm more into the detail and fit & finish than I use to be and maybe more confident in my ability to fix anything if something is to break.

My TUX was also brand new when I bought it... The 1 year warranty has since expired but it has gone 0 times back for warranty. Stone solid little MC, which is easy on the eyes as well .
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Justin, I'm there. Actually been looking at Ninja 250Rs this week. A TUX did pop up, as did a GZ 250. I kinda like the baby Ninjas. I also looked at an EX500, which is about perfect, really.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Justin, I'm there. Actually been looking at Ninja 250Rs this week. A TUX did pop up, as did a GZ 250. I kinda like the baby Ninjas. I also looked at an EX500, which is about perfect, really.
                        The TUX is slow, like 70mph top speed in any day situation (however I've seen +85mph on hills or good tail winds). However that little bike has me hooked and I will likely never get rid of it now.

If you want a modern 250 that will do interstate speeds easily I'd strongly look at the Honda CB300F or R. Thumper, reliable, quick and they have ABS which I love.

The TUX is a great motorCYCLE. Shan and I went 2 up the other day with it for +100 miles taking mostly back and dirt roads. We pulled over and talked about it and it really is a testament to what a motorcycle was when they first came out. Freedom on 2 wheels soaking up the back roads of a developing America, we definitely got that experience riding around on the little bike that just thumped us around happily.

Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I don't buy new bikes, and I like the old Ninja 250's valve adjustment mechanics much more than shims. A purchase price of $1500, 70 mpg, 200 mile range, bulletproof running gear, and a top speed of 100 make it a pretty perfect commuter!
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Bandit 1250s are shim under bucket. At least my 07 was. Don't think they've changed. You don't have to pull the cams to check clearance but you do if you need to change a shim.
                            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Working...
                            X