2,000 Mile roadtrip on my '81 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2,000 Mile roadtrip on my '81 GS850G

So I've always, always wanted to go on a epic motorcycle trip. I bought my GS850g 2 years ago because everything I read about them made them seem like great budget tourers. Well finally after 2 years I feel confident (but still very cautious) as a motorcyclists and all the major issues the GS had have been sorted out. I also am somewhat financially secure and I can take a month off of work if I want.

So I moved to New Orleans 8 years ago from Chicago but every year I visit my family. I usually take amtrack because I like to use the 20 hours to catch up on reading and reflect (and drink a couple cold ones). This year I am considering taking my motorcycle. I have to be at the parents house Aug 11-12. They don't know I've been riding for the last couple years and I don't think they'd approve but what better way for them to find out then me rolling up after 1,000 miles? The weekend before that is an gathering (and variety show/concert/party) of sorts for a group of friends in Detriot, MI.

Currently my plan is to Leave July 24thish (might base the exact date on weather, etc) Take I-59 to Meridan, MS then take some backroads north to Bankhead National Forest. Camp in bankhead for the night. Cross into TN and take TN HWY 13 north. And depending on time maybe check out The Land Between the Lakes or push on to Louisville. I have a friend in Louisville, probably stay with him two nights and explore the area, It looks like there's lots of great back roads and hiking in that area. Stop in Indianapolis for a day to visit another friend. I'd also like to stop in Muncie, IN. My father is from there and we would visit Grandpa there every year until he died in '96 when I was 12. I haven't been back since then and I'd like to visit his gravesite and just have a quick look around the town. I'd then spend the weekend in Detriot for said party. Then with the last week I'd like to go on a short camping trip with my friend in Chicago, Either meet him someplace or park the bike in his yard and take his van someplace for a couple nights. My GF is planning on going on a road trip with her best friend to St Louis so I might meet them there on the 13 or 14th then meander back down south (or maybe stay longer if there's a hurricane )

I hope I posted this in the right part of the forum. I am just looking for suggestions on routes or places to stop along the way (restaurants, points of interest, interesting hikes etc) Thank., Also, thanks to all the forum members that made this trip possible with your knowledge and parts! Burque73 I actually got the crash bars mounted with longer bolts like you said!
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Dunno most of that route but when you get to southern Illinois there are some great waterfalls to stop and visit... My gal and I have stopped at a few going through and it makes a nice stop on a hot summer ride. Anyway, the trip sounds awesome & have a great time!

Comment

Can't offer any trip info as I'm unfamiliar with that part of the country. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. I hope you've double checked everything so the bike is ready. Only advice I have is to take it easy and soak it all in. Don't rush and ride too many miles a day. Also, be SURE you have a good fitting helmet. Riding for hours with a poor fitting helmet doesn't work. Let us know your parents reaction. Ride safe and take pic's to share!
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        Can't offer any trip info as I'm unfamiliar with that part of the country. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. I hope you've double checked everything so the bike is ready. Only advice I have is to take it easy and soak it all in. Don't rush and ride too many miles a day. Also, be SURE you have a good fitting helmet. Riding for hours with a poor fitting helmet doesn't work. Let us know your parents reaction. Ride safe and take pic's to share!
        Thanks for the positive attitude. I've been going on a fair amount of 2-4 hour rides and my helmet fits like a glove now (though I do need to wash the padding soon) Bike runs great but I do have to replace my turn signal switch and mount a luggage rack (planning on doing that this week)
        1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

I'm really glad those crash bars worked out for you. Hope your trip goes well and who knows, maybe mom will want a ride on your 850.

My mom used to ride on mine. She quite enjoyed it.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. My only concerns would be traffic in and around Chicago and Detroit, and the condition of roads in and near Detroit. Last time I was in Detroit (many years ago) there were lots of potholes that would easily bottom out my car's suspension. Just saying.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I did a 1600 mile, 6 Day, San Francisco to San Diego and back round trip in 2012 on my GPz550. With me was my brother(Bandit 1200) and another friend(GPz550) came along. I'd highly recommend someone making the trip with you on another bike. If that is not possible, then add an extra credit card, a few hand tools, stay in motels, and like others stated, take it easy and enjoy.

Have a safe trip.

RoadTrip2012.jpg
              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                Sounds like a great trip. My only concerns would be traffic in and around Chicago and Detroit, and the condition of roads in and near Detroit. Last time I was in Detroit (many years ago) there were lots of potholes that would easily bottom out my car's suspension. Just saying.
                I live in the Detroit area, and the last winter season was the worst I ever remember in the past 15 years.....major freeze/thaw sessions on poorly maintained roads. Bent a rim on my VW CC, and remember standing in line behind 3 other people at Pep Boys with bent rims to get them fixed...

That said, they've got most of the craters filled in, and I ride my long rake Harley to work ....850 is much more maneuverable (mine is currently 'under the knife'). If you are wiggy about traffic, just ride to work for about a month (assuming you have some kind of rush hour traffic) that will get you used to it.

Comment

Some friends wanna go for a ride around the same time so I'm leaving with them, taking the natchez trace to nashville. I'll be heading north, they will be going to ashville via the tail of the dragon. I'm planning to avoid riding as much as possible in urban areas, park the bike at a friends house and maybe borrow a bicycle or something.
                  1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
                    .............................................. maybe check out The Land Between the Lakes ...................
                    One of the fine GSR members here often mentions that place/area. I will alert him to your post.

About your Detroit to Chicago leg:
                    I-94 between Detroit and Chicago will be the most direct route, but will be no fun at all. Lots of truck traffic all the way across the state, and road surface not too good.
                    US-12 will be more intersting, but thru lots of towns-citys.
                    Other intresting options to check could be the cross lake ferrys, but that involves some expence. I could yack at you abpout those if you are interested.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The roads in and around the Chicago area haven’t fared too well from this past winter either, and my GS850G needs fork seals and to be registered here now that I’m an Illinois resident, so I ride the other GS I brought with me almost every day here, my f800GS that is and even though it has 8 inches of clearance, I still dodge the potholes, bent rims are no fun.

Good luck on your ride up here and with breaking the news like that to your folks! My dad was killed on his bike by a DHL driver in 84 and my mom has never really liked me riding,and she actually bought me a cheap car as a trade to sell my Nighthawk in th the late 90's but she’s pretty used to it by now. Moms want what’s best for their kids and if riding makes you happy, she’ll understand...at least eventually she should.
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                      X