1982 650 engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 650 engine swap

My engine on my 1982 gs650 has had its last day. I’m wanting to do a full engine swap to the 1100. Looking for things I need to know to do this project right.
    Attached Files

What is wrong with the engine and how many miles on it right now?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you want to do a full swap to an 1100, you are going to have to get a complete frame, along with everything else that comes with a new bike.

There is barely room for the 650 in that frame, there is no way you are going to fit anything larger in there, let alone an 1100.

You should also note that you have a shaft-driven bike, and any transplants will be from another shaft-driven bike. If you wanted to convert to a chain-driven system, the cost will be prohibitively high, because you have to basically re-engineer the frame in the area of the swingarm pivot. Again it will be easier and cheaper to just get another bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Started it then it started rattling and now it won’t turn over at all. Changed the oil and there were metal chunks in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevdean7 View Post
          Started it then it started rattling and now it won’t turn over at all. Changed the oil and there were metal chunks in there.
          Metal chunks in the oil are never a good thing. Unless you know what your doing, cut your losses and either get another engine or another bike. You can put a 1100G engine in it if you're a master fabricator or if you have an 850G. The 650 is a good bike, but not worth a whole lot. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
          Last edited by gsrick; 06-10-2018, 12:24 AM.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevdean7 View Post
            Sounds like the camchain skipped off....tensioner installed wrong maybe... Pull the camcover off for a look.
            As others have said, save yourself alot of grief and get another bike.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X