Gas cap leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cap leaking

So yesterday morning I added gas to the gas on my way to work. Less than 4 gal. I switched to reserve while on my way cause she started to run rough. Well on my way home about 3/4 of the way, I changed lanes slow driver. Then my lower right leg all of a sudden gets really cool, and I can smell gas. I thought at first the #3carb float was stuck and over flowing. Well I pulled off and stopped at a gas station, carbs not leaking. So I start to head home. Pulling out I stopped before hitting the street, and happened to look at tank. Fuel came out from under the cap. I had never seen this before, but do remember while filling up before, cleaning dirt from around the filler opening just under the gas cap. So I get home and do a search, lots of posts but not what I was looking for, except under old tech forums and most are guests now. Check Suzuki parts house, only have the gas cap able to order. Found one post where OP talks about how to put cap back together. It seems there is supposed to be a rubber piece and a metal washer under the big plastic piece. I apparently don't have either.
    20180626_183254.jpg
    There should also be a vent hole somewhere around the filler.
    Anyone have an idea where to procure?

New caps are available and better than the cheap knock off caps. Parts are not available. You may be able to put the old lock cylinder in a new cap to avoid an additional key (not sure about that). I'm pretty sure the cap vents through the key hole. Do not fill over the bottom of the flange that extends into the tank. That will make a new cap leak when it is hot. Bike Bandit wants nearly $90.00 for one but I'm sure you can find a more reasonable dealer. You have to have one.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 06-27-2018, 06:30 AM.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yeah, that cap is missing parts and someone added foam strips on the sides so it wouldn't rattle.

You really do need a complete cap.

As OV66 mentioned, they're available new and that would be the best and safest route. You could swap in your existing cap's lock cylinder, or file the wafers to make the new cap work with your key.

You could also try a used cap from fleaBay or whatever, but the rubber is going to be deteriorated. This is one of those times when spending a few bucks for a new part will probably save you a lot of frustration. But if there's a good motorcycle junkyard somewhere around, a used cap might be worth a try if you don't mind experimenting with flammable fluids near your crotch.

And yeah, don't overfill, especially when it's hot -- gas can expand a surprising amount in hot weather sitting over a hot engine...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I will look into getting a new one, and swapping the cylinder. My cap has an emblem from the motorcycle dealer here in Scottsdale, I would like to keep it also.

Comment

Working...
        X