1982 GS850G color question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850G color question

Does anyone remember the 82 850 color that was a real unique blue/green? My brother had one like that and we can't seem to find another picture of one in that paint color. Wonder if anyone knows what it was called or if you would have a picture or color sample.
    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Might be the "Candy Alpine Blue" listed in one color chart, or it might be the "Cosmos Blue" that bwringer has on his '83.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Capture.jpg

Here's what is in the parts fiche if this helps
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser View Post
        Does anyone remember the 82 850 color that was a real unique blue/green? My brother had one like that and we can't seem to find another picture of one in that paint color.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It's VERY close, but I've seen Dave Page's '82 GS850G next to my "Cosmos Blue" '83, and the base color is definitely a little different. And of course the paint/decal pattern is different.

Here's an old photo of my '83:

The base color is not metallic, and is close to, but not the same as, the base color used on the '82. Or at least it was slightly different in the example I saw in person next to my bike.

I think "Cosmos Blue" refers to the lighter metallic blue on the sides. I've never quite figured out what the base color is called, to be honest -- maybe that's the "Marble Science Blue"?

Also, let's not forget there was a lot of variation from the factories back then. It's entirely possible that the '82 and '83 bikes were actually supposed to be the same base paint color but the paint batches came out a little different. Nobody worried about it much at the time, and the matching technology we now have didn't exist.

For example, one of the maddening issues with restoring or reproducing the iconic Cooley bikes is that the actual hue of the light blue on factory bikes is all over the place. Plus, the cosmetic workmanship was, let's say, "factory" level and not "obsessed restorer" level - the stripes were never placed all that accurately on factory bikes. The bikes were intended to go out and do battle, not sit on pedestals.

Edit: I found this listing for a nice 1982 GS850G for sale in Iowa, which includes some good photos. Not sure how to stop the idiotic zooming effect:

Not sure this photo will embed:
          Last edited by bwringer; 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The last picture looks like it. It was a single color not a two tone.
            1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
            2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
            2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Even though the picture is a bit dark, my old 82 G is the colour you are referring to. It's Marble Science Blue.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser View Post
                The last picture looks like it. It was a single color not a two tone.
                Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Even though the picture is a bit dark, my old 82 G is the colour you are referring to. It's Marble Science Blue.
                Yep, the more I think about it and ponder photos and fiches, the more I think it's supposed to be the same base color, and the side-by-side variation I saw was just the usual '80s paint batch variation.

As much as I like the way my '83 looks, I do really like the elegance of the single color with the gold stripes on the '82. Hard to decide.

I may be biased, but Suzuki absolutely nailed the styling back then -- these bikes just look so right. I've taken the doofy rear rack off mine a few times just because the bike looks soooooooo nice without it. Makes commuting and travel more difficult, so I always end up putting it back.

Just to be gratuitous, this has always been my favorite shot of my bike. Probably the cleanest it's ever been, and probably the only time I've ever bothered to polish the engine and fork legs and didn't immediately encounter a rain storm.

Handles pretty darn well, too...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                X