GS1000 Gas Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Gas Tanks

Other than the emblems, does anyone know what the differences are between a regular GS1000 fuel tank and a Wes Cooley tank.

My Wes Cooley tank is at the painter and according to the painter has a minimum for 50 pins holes along the seems. I am looking for another tank to send to the painter.

Thanks

Both '79 and '80 GS1000 E/S tanks are mostly identical apart from the badge mounts on the E models, which I believe some have removed and/or filled prior to paint. Of course, '78 tanks (Skunk) will sport indents.

Edit: as someone pointed out in another thread, petcock, location, and bolt spacing is different on the above mentioned tanks.
    Last edited by Frank Z.; 07-03-2018, 05:30 PM.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

The 79 and 80 tanks differ with the petcock locations. The 79 tank won't work on the 80
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Simmons1 View Post
        Other than the emblems, does anyone know what the differences are between a regular GS1000 fuel tank and a Wes Cooley tank.

My Wes Cooley tank is at the painter and according to the painter has a minimum for 50 pins holes along the seems. I am looking for another tank to send to the painter.

Thanks
        Prep and coat the interior with POR 15 or Caswells liquid liner. Then paint
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys. My bike is a 79. Guess I would need a 78 or 79 tank. The tank has had POR 15 in it for about 15 years already. Recoating is probably not a good option at this point with out removing the POR 15 and starting over again.

Comment

What my process is for pin holes.

1. Mix up some JB Weld KWIK and smear a coat along the seams. Not too thick but thick enough to fill the holes and allow for some sanding after it has hardened.

2. Do either the Caswell 2 part epoxy tank liner or POR 15. Ive used both and find each equally to be quality liners.

3. Sand the JB down carefully and leave a little over the holes. Now your ready with a well sealed tank to be painted.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              What my process is for pin holes.

1. Mix up some JB Weld KWIK and smear a coat along the seams. Not too thick but thick enough to fill the holes and allow for some sanding after it has hardened.

2. Do either the Caswell 2 part epoxy tank liner or POR 15. Ive used both and find each equally to be quality liners.

3. Sand the JB down carefully and leave a little over the holes. Now your ready with a well sealed tank to be painted.
              +1 These tanks are too hard to find and are getting very expensive when they do show up. I'd try repairing it.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You might also consider taking it to a radiator repair shop to remove the old liner and to re-seal it and solder the pin holes. While your tank is in the prep stage anyway, this is always something to think about because the boiling process ruins any paint, but delivers a clean and solid repair. Radiator shops can restore stuff that looks beyond hope sometimes.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I use a local https://www.gastankrenu.com/ shop.

All they do is gas tanks. Chemically dip them, weld them, pressure test them and then coat them. As I recollect, if they can't fix the tank, there is no charge and they warranty their work for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray916MN View Post
                    I use a local https://www.gastankrenu.com/ shop.

All they do is gas tanks. Chemically dip them, weld them, pressure test them and then coat them. As I recollect, if they can't fix the tank, there is no charge and they warranty their work for life.
                    Look like I have one near by, but their site doesn't mention MC tanks. Did they coat the outside of your tank like they do the auto tanks?
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      Look like I have one near by, but their site doesn't mention MC tanks. Did they coat the outside of your tank like they do the auto tanks?
                      I've had them do only the inside and do both the outside and inside. My local guy is easy to work with.

Comment

I emailed them and they say they will do MC tanks.

CHARLES HAHN
                        Jul 4 (2 days ago)

to info

I have been looking for a place the can reseal motorcycle gas tanks that have tiny holes along the bottom where the halves are joined and crimped. Does this sound like something your company can do?

Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-06-2018, 08:41 AM.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Dan Sullivan <danrenu@aol.com>
                          Jul 4 (2 days ago)

to me

Yes

Comment

Thanks for the info on the place that repairs tanks. The closet place that does them is in Houston. I plan on getting my tank back from the painter, getting it repaired myself and then returning it to the painter. I will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Stripping out the old liner is a pain. Heavy duty methylene chloride paint stripper works best but it's really nasty stuff. MEK eats the liner up too. Problem you have is what to do about the pinholes with these chemicals inside? Maybe that radiator shop boil out is the way to go? I'd talk to them anyway. If you can get the old liner out then moving to derusting is next. A large tub (garbage can?) where you can submerge the tank completely works well. A couple gallons of Kleenstrip Etch and Prep from Home Depot along with enough water to cover will do the derusting trick. Rinse with water followed by some alcohol to dry the tank as quickly as possible to avoid flash rust. To seal I'd use Caswell's tank sealer. It's super thick, like honey, and will give the tank some strength and reinforcement after you are done. I did an old GS1000 tank with that and afterwards it was SOLID...and heavy. Some tape on the outside of the tank to seal the pinholes will keep the sealer inside where it belongs.

Good luck
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X