82gs1000gx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82gs1000gx

Can anyone tell me what this model designation GX means? Looking at one for sale and google shows what looks to be a standard GS

Compiling the world’s most comprehensive list of motorbike information – and you can help! Enter your knowledge and share it with the world’s bikers
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

1100GX
      G in that position means Shaft Drive Standard Styling (not E, not L)
      X in that position means 1981 model year.

So to say "82 GS1100GX" is inconsistent. (1982 would be Z).
      If GX is stamped in the frame number, or in the number on the title, it is really an 1981 model year. Maybe the date of manufacture was in early 1982, and somehow somewhere sometime it got registered with the state on a title/registration as a 1982. But as far as looking up parts in parts catalog/microfische, it is an 1981 model. That would make a differnce only in a relative small numnber of situations.

>> Later note:
      I now look at the link in Rich's post above.
      Hum.... All I can say is that by the paint scheme of the bike pictured there in that link, I recognize that as a eurpoean model...........
      Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep my mistake, it’s an 81.

Comment

So basically it’s like the E but shaft drive?

Comment

I Stand corrected some.
            Now I will say the "1982 GS1000GX", the X means it is a european model (and sometimes "eurpoean" means "everywhere except USA" which might include Canada.

Here is some infor from "Every Suzuki Ever Built" site which is a British site.

The shaft-driven model now being the only one liter GS model with an eight-valve engine, the '81 GS1000GX was presented in January 1981. Some minor modifications: new-designed seat, influenced by the custom model (GS1000GL) and especielly the '77 pre-launch GS1000 seat. Black rectangular indicator heads instead of chromed ones.

As you can see in the pictures below, the American model (the red one) had higher handlebars than the European version (black/blue).

There's still some specs I need help with. Anyone?

Here's some GS1000G magazine ads.
            GS 1000 G 1981
            Overall Length:
            Overall Width:
            Overall Height:
            Wheelbase: 1 525 mm (60.0 in)
            Dry Weight: 247 kg (543 lbs)
            Engine type: Air-cooled 997 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 90 ps (66 kW)/ 8.500 rpm, 8,0 kg-m/ 7.500 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
            Here's even larger picture.
            GS1000G 1981
            Overall Length:
            Overall Width:
            Overall Height:
            Seat Height: 813 mm (32.0 in)
            Wheelbase: 1 500 mm (59.1 in)
            Engine type: Air-cooled 997 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 90 ps (66 kW)/ 8.500 rpm, 8,0 kg-m/ 7.500 rpm.

Here's even larger picture.

The manufacturing of the 1981 year's GS1000GX was continued until the model was replaced with the GS1100G in June 1982.
            GS 1000 G 1982
            Overall Length:
            Overall Width:
            Overall Height:
            Wheelbase: 1 525 mm (60.0 in)

Notify that the rear shocks are not original on this bike.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/index.html

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
              So basically it’s like the E but shaft drive?
              Yes and No.

Yes, is like an E in that is not an L (Not cruiser, tear drop tank, pull back bars, step seat).
              Yes, Has the larger tank, flatter bars, flatter seat like an E

Yes, is like a 78-79 E in that 2 valves per cylinder engine.

No, not like an 80 and later E which most had the 4 valve per cylinder engine.

Is like the 80-81-83-84 GS850G, but an 1000G.

Comment

Well I’m looking at it shortly to buy and do a cosmetic restoration on. We’ll see how it works out.

Comment

Well I’m looking at it shortly to buy .... .... ....
                  Do us a favor; ask the seller if he knows if it came from Canada.

Do yourself a favor: Ask the seller what he knows about the hub/spline in the rear wheel (in the wheel, not in the final drive).
                  If he doesnt give any indication of knowing how the original 1982 hub/spline can wear and fail, you will want to check for any extra lash in the rear wheel. CAn use that as a baragining point.

Comment

Could be it near the Canada US border. I’ll find out more today.

Comment

What is the spline situation you’re talking about? I’ve only had chains.

Comment

What is the spline situation you’re talking about? I’ve only had chains.
                        Lets see, short version:
                        In the rear wheel... is a hub that has splines that mate/spline up to splines on the final drive.... the there was a few design changes in that hub over the years 78 thru mid 80s, and the design change for somewhere about 82 or so was such that the spines in the hub would wear out quickely if not lubed well and would still wear out even if was lubed. Then after that was design change again that would last longer.

So: ask the seller what he knows about the hub in the rear wheel, if he seems to know about it and says has been replaced with the newer (current) design, or if he says he has inspected it and is okay and he knows to lube it... well, then you can feel good about it.
                        If he seems to be ignorant of the entire situation, then you can use that as a bargining point and state your concern about it could be worn and about to fail if is still the original or if nobody knew to lube it when tire replaced.
                        With bike on center stand, not running, but in gear, you can rotate rear wheel forward and back and see how much lash there is. I cant dscribe how much is okay and how much is bad... but you can do that just to see/feel (and make it look like you know what you are doing).
                        That is about as much as you need to know for now.
                        We can talk about it more later, or you can find lots of positinga about it.

When you get the bike, you will want to inspect that rear hub... and should on every rear tire change, and lube the hub. We can chat more about that later.
                        Good news is that if it is worn, it is a replaceable part.
                        At worst case it is a $130-150 dollar part, new, is available. Or can sometimes find a used one, or buy an entire rear wheel on ebay that has one.

Do not let this discourage you from getting the G.
                        You will be happy to realise that instaead of lubing a chain frequently and cleanining up the lube slopped all over, the regular routine maintince for the shaft drive is : Nothing. You do not even need to know it exisit any more than you know ther is a crankshaft in the engine somewhere.

Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Worn, about to fail, original 1982 one. Compared to an new current one.
                          Again, the good news is that it is a replaceable part, and this hub in rear wheel is what wears, not the spline on final drive. The one for 82 seemed to wear too fast, especailly if not well lubed.

Do not let this discourage you from getting a G.
                          I am just telling this for two reasons: 1, so you can ask the seller about it to guage his knolodge. And 2, so you know to inspect it somotime soon, especailly if seller ignorant of it.

Comment

Here is example of 82 850G (all Gs are same parts for this hub). #14, but cant see the splines, just are not drawn in..... and cant see how mates up to the splines on final drive.

In the microfisch and parts catatlogs that #14 is called "joint assembly". Sometimes we call it splines or hub.
                            Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

The splines are on back side of the upper #1 here, so cant see them either. But is what you see when pull the rear wheel free of the final drive.
                              Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X