Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing camshaft chain gsx400

Hi guys

I bumped into a confusing problem when I try to set my camshaft chain. On the service and repair book, it shows how many pins there should be in between the two cam-wheels (it says 20 pins). The washer in between the rotor and stator, is adjusted as shows at the repair book (IF). The problem is, that one of the camshaft (right side) does not fit right. But if I turn the camshaft just 2 pins to the left side, it then fits perfectly again. I then tried to reassemble everything back and give it a try. Everything spins, but the carburetor is pushing air instead of intaking air.

I dismounted everything apart again and tried 100 times, but still face the same problem. Its a gsx 400 engine.

kindest
    Attached Files

Dislocated camshaft (only on one side, the other side works fine) 36952848_10156037134849145_38750522089406464_n.jpg

Comment

The washer should be tuned correctly, but not 100 % sure.36885791_10156037135359145_7396819336033206272_n.jpg

Comment

OK, let's get through a bit of difference in terminology that is likely due to our different languages.

Good news: in your first picture, the pin count is, indeed, 20. If that is what the manual specifies, you have it correct.
        Apparently, the cam chain tensioner is not installed yet in that photo, as there is a LOT of slack in the top run between the cams.

Second picture: That is a great close-up, but it's just a little bit TOO close. Not sure what you mean by "one side works fine".

Third picture: The term "washer" was confusing me, now I see what you meant. The crank should be turned just a little bit clockwise, so the timing mark points to the |, not the T.

Back in your first post, I don't understand "the right side cam shaft does not fit right". There is no "right" cam, they are front and rear, or exhaust and intake. Your first picture showed the correct number of pins, but I could not tell which way the camera was pointing when you took the picture. Can you back up just a bit to show more of the engine?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Muntdsar View Post
          Dislocated camshaft (only on one side, the other side works fine) [ATTACH=CONFIG]55600[/ATTACH]
          Do you have the camshaft bearing cap that is supposed to be fitted on the end of the camshaft at the left side in your photo?

That end should not be "dislocated" on the one side, as you say.

To prevent the cam chain from skipping teeth on the cam sprocket ("cam-wheel"), that bearing cap must be fitted on the left end and the chain tensioner must be fitted to keep the chain tight (no slack as in your first photo).
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
          X