Vulcan 1500 vs GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vulcan 1500 vs GS850G

instead of a nice $$$ bonus for 2017 my boss , the owner, gifted me a vulcan 1500 nomad. had a few days off over the 4th and had a go with the vulcan. decently comfortable. sits lower, lots of low end not much on the other end and heavy as hell. big plus is its much newer, big minus is I take the bike with in my sprinter and it can be tricky getting the 850 if I don't have a ditch and this more difficult to muscle around.

one or the other has to go. sell the vulcan? keep the vulcan? any of you guys have one? big motor but slow

Originally posted by 1980GS850 View Post
    instead of a nice $$$ bonus for 2017 my boss , the owner, gifted me a vulcan 1500 nomad. had a few days off over the 4th and had a go with the vulcan. decently comfortable. sits lower, lots of low end not much on the other end and heavy as hell. big plus is its much newer, big minus is I take the bike with in my sprinter and it can be tricky getting the 850 if I don't have a ditch and this more difficult to muscle around.

one or the other has to go. sell the vulcan? keep the vulcan? any of you guys have one? big motor but slow
    I like the nomad drifter and they are good bikes, but if your not into big cruisers and since you don't have one already, I'm taking that as a clue you don't, I'd sell it to get that cash bonus out of it.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

If that sort of thing isn't your thing, then, well, it ain't your thing.

Sell and pocket the cash as soon as decently possible... and make it quick -- summer is half over. Hopefully your boss won't get too insulted.

I used to work for a guy who absolutely could not fathom why I rode my GS850G everywhere (Even when it rained! Horrors!) and wasn't interested in buying a Harley.

He figured everyone who rode anything else was just temporarily embarrassed for funds, and would buy a Harley as soon as they could save enough pennies.

Yeah, one of those guys... bit of a tool.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Have not ridden a Vulcan, but am not a fan of v-shaped engines on motorcycles.

As others have mentioned, plenty of power down low, but that's all.

Despite the age difference, I would rather keep the 850.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ride it to, or just call a Kawasaki dealership and see what you can trade for, just another option.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Have not ridden a Vulcan, but am not a fan of v-shaped engines on motorcycles.

As others have mentioned, plenty of power down low, but that's all.

Despite the age difference, I would rather keep the 850.

The 1985 Honda Shadow V twin I had would easily break a ton.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              If that sort of thing isn't your thing, then, well, it ain't your thing.

Sell and pocket the cash as soon as decently possible... and make it quick -- summer is half over. Hopefully your boss won't get too insulted.

I used to work for a guy who absolutely could not fathom why I rode my GS850G everywhere (Even when it rained! Horrors!) and wasn't interested in buying a Harley.

He figured everyone who rode anything else was just temporarily embarrassed for funds, and would buy a Harley as soon as they could save enough pennies.

Yeah, one of those guys... bit of a tool.
              haha, thats good, have heard that bit about the harley before. "Hey when you gonna get off that starter/jap, rice grinder bike and buy a harley"... a classic refrain from hog heads!

I am going to sell the vulcan. not a hard decision plus I can use the money. i will be on the road at least until mid sept so I can't sell it myself. i will call around and see what they charge to consign it at the dealer, left the bike at my sisters house.

anyone ever put a cycle on consignment? do they let just anyone ride it (test ride)?

Comment

haha, thats good, have heard that bit about the harley before. "Hey when you gonna get off that starter/jap, rice grinder bike and buy a harley"... a classic refrain from hog heads!

I am going to sell the vulcan. not a hard decision plus I can use the money. i will be on the road at least until mid sept so I can't sell it myself. i will call around and see what they charge to consign it at the dealer, left the bike at my sisters house.

anyone ever put a cycle on consignment? do they let just anyone ride it (test ride)?
                You should be able to set it up however you want. We've done a few consignments at the shop I work at. They get a flat rate plus a percentage if it sells. No one rides anything at the shop I work at, but me. They say the insurance doesn't allow it.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                  You should be able to set it up however you want. We've done a few consignments at the shop I work at. They get a flat rate plus a percentage if it sells. No one rides anything at the shop I work at, but me. They say the insurance doesn't allow it.
                  they require me to have them do an oil change/service and charge 30% but no flat rate. good god that seems high, I got to think on it this weekend. they will come and get from my sisters too. the y think might sell $2500 to 3500 but used bikes sales apparently very slow this year. at least it would be inside instead of on sisters patio

Comment

they require me to have them do an oil change/service and charge 30% but no flat rate. good god that seems high, I got to think on it this weekend. they will come and get from my sisters too. the y think might sell $2500 to 3500 but used bikes sales apparently very slow this year. at least it would be inside instead of on sisters patio
                    The flat rate is something like $199, that's basically floor space rent. The good thing about it is that they have access to financing companies which makes it easier for someone to purchase the bike, plus you don't have to show it to the lookie loos that are only there killing time and wishing they had better credit.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      Ride it to, or just call a Kawasaki dealership and see what you can trade for, just another option.
                      Oooohhh.............I would see if I could parlay that into something like a 650 Versys. I hear those are pretty neat bikes.

Unless you need the cash, of course.

I did consign a Ducati M900 at a dealer once. Not sure about the test rides. I suspect maybe not as the owner himself had set the bike up (it was a demo when I got it) and knew it to be solid, and as they had just changed tires and full service for their track day, there was no 'extra' service I had to pay for.

Felt funny dropping it off though............

Comment

told my sister to put in on Fbook and CL for $2200, she keep $200, as is and it went the same weekend. probably priced it too low oh well. seems like cycle prices are not holding good, maybe less riders? who knows

Comment

Working...
                        X