Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats anyone know of the 1983 GS450GA Automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats anyone know of the 1983 GS450GA Automatic?

I've bought an 83' GS450GA Suzimatic. It appears on Parts Outlaw to list a Model Z and a Model D, what designates the differences. Who's the Suzimatic expert here to guide me
    Last edited by nejeff; 07-17-2018, 11:15 PM.

Not an expert, but like all the other Suzuki models, the Z was an '82, the D was an '83.

I helped put one together and took it for a test ride. Let's just say the experience was "uninspiring".

Not sure if that bike was representative of all the rest of the GAs, but I would not be happy with one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Not an expert, but like all the other Suzuki models, the Z was an '82, the D was an '83.

I helped put one together and took it for a test ride. Let's just say the experience was "uninspiring".

Not sure if that bike was representative of all the rest of the GAs, but I would not be happy with one.

Not sure what "inspires" you Steve but thanks for the input. Not sure why they list both models under their 83' parts.

Could you please expound on the rest of the GA's? I am not familiar with another GA Suzuki model

Comment

The only GA that I know of is the 450. Not sure how many years it was offered, but the one I helped assemble was an '82.

My son used to have an '81 450T. Modestly capable bike. A bit small for me (I have never been called "petite"), but could be ridden across town or even to the next town. The 450GA felt about as strong as a good-running 250, which is why I called it "less than inspiring". The owner and I went through to make sure cam timing was good and all the other usual stuff, so I have to write off the lack of oomph to the automatic part.

Just so you are fully aware, it follows Suzuki's pattern for model nomenclature. The G says it's a shafty, the A says it's an automatic. Technically, it's a semi- automatic, as you start in LOW, then back off the throttle a bit and shift to HIGH. It is possible to get moving from a stop with the transmission in HIGH, but it's even LESS inspiring.

There were several models that had a couple of years listed on one fiche. In the case of the 450GA, it was virtually the same bike, I think the only differences were related to the black engine. Makes it easier to just list one part for the Z, another version of the same part for the D.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X