What is this upper tree hollow nut for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this upper tree hollow nut for?

I royally screwed up the triple tree for my 78 GS1000. I have another set that I bought, but the steering stem is about 3/4" longer and has a hollow hex nut instead of a bolt. What is this used for? Wondering if I can do this swap.

This is the style of my original stem:
    Attached Files

But my replacement is this style:
    Attached Files

Comment

Not sure when the chain-driven E models changed from having a lever on the carbs,
      but the '80/'81 850 and 1000 shafties had the "choke" knob there.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your replacement clamps look like leading axle clamps. The offset of the forks v stem is different between the two types.

If your original forks are not leading axle, then the new clamps will change the geometry (possibly dangerously).
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Definitely check to see if the fork clamps and steering stems line up to make sure, but the hollow stem shouldn't make any difference if everything else is the same.

BTW, the 79 850G I have has the choke down the center stem.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks guys! My trees are exactly the same. Only the steering stem is different. I took these pictures off of ebay- they are not my parts.

Choke knob. 10-4. Thanks!

Comment

I believe the ones from the GSX-R front tree that I used was hollow (weight savings?) but there was a big chrome nut that went over it.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                Definitely check to see if the fork clamps and steering stems line up to make sure, but the hollow stem shouldn't make any difference if everything else is the same.

BTW, the 79 850G I have has the choke down the center stem.
                So does my 81 850G

Comment

Working...
                X