Damn the leaves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn the leaves!

Was coming in my front gate after a ride on July 5th, turned into my driveway on the Bandit going about 10 mph and lightly on the front brake to stop in front of the gate. As I did so, the front wheel ran over a small patch of dry leaves and locked up, slid, putting me on the ground quicker than I could say whaaa? I low sided it onto my right side, breaking a rib and bruising a couple more, sprained both wrists, separated my right shoulder, bashed my right hip, and whacked my helmet into the ground resulting in a stage 2 concussion. The first ten days were the worst of unrelenting stabbing pain making breathing tortuous, and walking, or sitting unthinkable except for a minute or two at a time. Sleep was not on my can do list either. LOL I'm mobile now for ten or fifteen minutes at a time.....at last. heh The prognosis is 60 to 120 days before the concussion will be healed and the ribs will be ok, shoulder a while longer, possibly a year. Not going to be able to ride the bike at all for perhaps four months. Bummer!

The bike came out much better than I did. The only thing damaged on the bike is a broken right front turn signal. Lucky me. LOL
    Last edited by earlfor; 07-22-2018, 08:14 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Wow ! That's pretty extensive for a driveway accident. We don't bounce so good when we get older.... All the best for a speedy recovery Earl......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Take care, Earl.

I had a bruised rib once. Worse pain I ever felt. Sleeping was impossible. You've got that, and much more...ouch man....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Now you know why you should be riding a Harley. Harley riders never use the front brake.

Seriously though, I hope your recovery goes well. And when you do get ready to ride again in 4 months, those of us in the snowy regions will be covering ours up for the winter.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Take care, Earl.

I had a bruised rib once. Worse pain I ever felt. Sleeping was impossible. You've got that, and much more...ouch man....
          It's an endurance contest without an alternative. heh One of the worst things was when it happened, I was unable to get up for about 45 minutes and was laying in my driveway entrance at the road beside the bike. 25+ cars passed and not one stopped to ask if I needed help or wanted someone to make a call for me. I was finally able to find the determination to get up, open the gate and walk the 120 yards to my house. Wife too one look at me and turned white. I must have been pretty white too. heh eh

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I’ve done the rib thing twice now and am hoping you can recover quickly. Remember that pillows are your best friend; keep one in quick reach at all times - you’ll need it
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Damn, sorry to hear. Be well.

I can only speak for a separted shoulder - snowboarding wipe out - landed on my (helmeted) head and shoulder. That alone was enough pain to cause me to briefly pass out. I can't imagine the pain from your list of injuries.

At least you're in the land of year round riding so don't have to miss the riding season..
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                Was coming in my front gate after a ride on July 5th, turned into my driveway on the Bandit going about 10 mph and lightly on the front brake to stop in front of the gate. As I did so, the front wheel ran over a small patch of dry leaves and locked up, slid, putting me on the ground quicker than I could say whaaa? I low sided it onto my right side, breaking a rib and bruising a couple more, sprained both wrists, separated my right shoulder, bashed my right hip, and whacked my helmet into the ground resulting in a stage 2 concussion. The first ten days were the worst of unrelenting stabbing pain making breathing tortuous, and walking, or sitting unthinkable except for a minute or two at a time. Sleep was not on my can do list either. LOL I'm mobile now for ten or fifteen minutes at a time.....at last. heh The prognosis is 60 to 120 days before the concussion will be healed and the ribs will be ok, shoulder a while longer, possibly a year. Not going to be able to ride the bike at all for perhaps four months. Bummer!

The bike came out much better than I did. The only thing damaged on the bike is a broken right front turn signal. Lucky me. LOL
                Leave are slipperier than an algae covered dock. I use to sweep up the parking lot at our old shop, because I almost went down once. Sorry to hear about your injuries and hope you heal quickly, but why have you waited almost three weeks to tell us?

BTW, I'm happy to hear the Bandit is ok, you did leave it to me in your will, right?
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Wow! Bummer! Hope the doc gave you some good meds! Get well fast!
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Dang leaves.
                    What kind of leaves were they?
                    Hope the healing moves along quickly and you'll be back on the road sooner than 120 days.
                    Many people these days seem too self absorbed to bother to stop and help.
                    Can't have any incoveniences to spoil the day, having to go out your way to help someone.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      I’ve done the rib thing twice now and am hoping you can recover quickly. Remember that pillows are your best friend; keep one in quick reach at all times - you’ll need it
                      Yep. even with a pillow. I can still "enjoy" coughing. It's sooo much fun. heh

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                        Sorry to hear this!!

Jeez, A lot of hurt for a low speed crash.
                        It wasn't really a crash, more a embarrassing wobbly topple over. heh Hell, I can't even brag about having to "lay'er down. heh

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          Leave are slipperier than an algae covered dock. I use to sweep up the parking lot at our old shop, because I almost went down once. Sorry to hear about your injuries and hope you heal quickly, but why have you waited almost three weeks to tell us?

BTW, I'm happy to hear the Bandit is ok, you did leave it to me in your will, right?
                          It took three weeks to get to the point of being able to sit in front of a computer for any length of time without constantly snivelling and whining and I don't type very well standing, holding myself up with my left hand on the desk and typing with one finger. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                            Dang leaves.
                            What kind of leaves were they?
                            Hope the healing moves along quickly and you'll be back on the road sooner than 120 days.
                            Many people these days seem too self absorbed to bother to stop and help.
                            Can't have any incoveniences to spoil the day, having to go out your way to help someone.
                            Oak leaves, they're everywhere, and there is zero traction when you're on them.

Comment

Sorry for your bad luck and hope you feel better relatively soon. When I had a Bandit 12 for a year or so I almost had a similar spill. The first time I rode it out my long driveway thru the woods, I tapped the front brake as it was rolling over a dew-covered root early in the morning. It was a root that was sort of polished from tires running over it. The front wheel slid a bit and caught a grip. I always respected that brake in low-traction environments after that. I can't imagine the rib pain. It must be pretty intense.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X