got it 'good enough'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got it 'good enough'

This is my fourth GS. First was a GS550 which was my "1000 $1,000" bike after 10 + years of not riding (buy a bike for $1000, ride it 1000 miles, then get the bike you want...although I only paid $350 ). Bike was perfect for my needs at the time.

I then had a two GS650's one was an L, the other a G. Got the L running pretty good, but had to sell it, the G, I would have kept, but could not get it to idle worth a cuss....not after dipping and rebuilding the carbs (twice) and pretty much doing everything else recommended on this site. In retrospect, I think the diaphragms needed to be replaced.

My wife fell in love with the GS650 G, and really wanted another one. So we decided to get an 850 ... wanted the bigger frame so it would be comfortable for longer rides. Picked one up late last fall for $1000. the PO had rebuilt the carbs, replaced/upgraded the R/R, and replaced the tires. At first I was thinking woohoo! adjust the valves, flush the brakes, and sync the carbs, and I would be good. However, it also needed to have the front fork seals replaced, and also the neck bearings. At this point, have the neck bearings replaced, the fork seals replaced (forks were pitted, so spent quality time knocking down the rough edges, filling with epoxy, and then wet sanding smooth), valves adjusted (only took 2.125 times), and both the final and primary drive oil replaced. Brakes still should be flushed, but the screws on the master cylinder cover are seized/rusted, and there is a good chance I will have to destroy the cover to remove the screws. Brakes work fine, so figure it can wait until this winter.

So is it completely PM'ed? No. But is it solid enough to ride? Oh heck yeah. Need to do a couple of longish Sunday rides, but am planning on taking it on what will probably be a 1000-1500 mile ride through upper michigan and the UP at the end of August. It feels good!

Now that's my kind of ride. Good enough indeed! It don't need to be perfect, (and my Ratzuki sure ain't perfect.) As long as it starts, runs, stops, and brings ya home, that's all anyone really needs.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

(Thinking out loud here) Its amazing these old bikes are still road and acceleration relevant in 2018. Its a testament to their build and design quality. Just think of this- we are riding 35 plus year old bikes daily and they perform great. Now imagine its 1978 -would we be able to ride consistently and reliably a 35 lpus year old bike? That would be riding a 1943 Harley or Triumph-Norton. The japanese knew how to build great bikes in the 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
        This is my fourth GS. First was a GS550 which was my "1000 $1,000" bike after 10 + years of not riding (buy a bike for $1000, ride it 1000 miles, then get the bike you want...although I only paid $350 ). Bike was perfect for my needs at the time.

I then had a two GS650's one was an L, the other a G. Got the L running pretty good, but had to sell it, the G, I would have kept, but could not get it to idle worth a cuss....not after dipping and rebuilding the carbs (twice) and pretty much doing everything else recommended on this site. In retrospect, I think the diaphragms needed to be replaced.

My wife fell in love with the GS650 G, and really wanted another one. So we decided to get an 850 ... wanted the bigger frame so it would be comfortable for longer rides. Picked one up late last fall for $1000. the PO had rebuilt the carbs, replaced/upgraded the R/R, and replaced the tires. At first I was thinking woohoo! adjust the valves, flush the brakes, and sync the carbs, and I would be good. However, it also needed to have the front fork seals replaced, and also the neck bearings. At this point, have the neck bearings replaced, the fork seals replaced (forks were pitted, so spent quality time knocking down the rough edges, filling with epoxy, and then wet sanding smooth), valves adjusted (only took 2.125 times), and both the final and primary drive oil replaced. Brakes still should be flushed, but the screws on the master cylinder cover are seized/rusted, and there is a good chance I will have to destroy the cover to remove the screws. Brakes work fine, so figure it can wait until this winter.

So is it completely PM'ed? No. But is it solid enough to ride? Oh heck yeah. Need to do a couple of longish Sunday rides, but am planning on taking it on what will probably be a 1000-1500 mile ride through upper michigan and the UP at the end of August. It feels good!
        I'm quite familiar with Da YooPee and can offer this advice: You're not going to be able to walk into a part store and buy the parts you need without ordering! There's plenty of reasonably priced places to get an aftermarket master cylinder, brake lines etc on eBay et al. Put a few bucks into a brake job before you leave, if not for safety then in the name of not being stranded.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
        X