Buying parts at the dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying parts at the dealer

So, I figured I'd stop into the local super dealer. Maybe throw a few dollars locally. Granted it's not an older GS but a 2008. Needed a brake light switch for my Bandit. FYI, the same part number is used in over 100 different Suzuki models. The interchange went something like this...

Can I help you?
    Yes, do you have a front brake switch for a 2008 Bandit 1250?
    Let me look it up. Queue final Jeopardy music...
    You said 1200?
    No, 1250. Bandit. GSF.
    more music....
    What year was that?
    2008. 2008 Bandit 1250.
    And you needed the brake lever?
    No brake switch.
    Jeez, someone get this guy a pen and pad.....
    Ummmm. We can order it.....
    No thanks, I can do that when I get home....
    Amazon, click, done. Be here Wednesday.
    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser View Post
    So, I figured I'd stop into the local super dealer. Maybe throw a few dollars locally.
    The one on W. Henrietta Road? I think I've had that conversation there.

Comment

No. Actually Filer's in Macedon.
      I see you're in Wayne County. I'm in Ontario.
      2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I've learned from one or two conversations like that to hand the desk personnel a list with the part numbers written down.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Excellent point and I usually do that. But this was sort of on a lark as I was riding by and figured I'd just stop in. Lesson learned.
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser View Post
            No. Actually Filer's in Macedon.
            I see you're in Wayne County. I'm in Ontario.
            I'm in Ontario too, out past the Tops store.

I've never been to Filers. I should go take a look.

Have you ever tried Stone's Snow Sled between Sodus and Newark? They are (were?) a Suzuki dealer and I've bought parts there several times. (Although they didn't have oil filters for my 450, which seemed odd.) I used to take my bikes there for inspections until I found out PJ Radiator in Ontario Center inspects bikes too.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              I've learned from one or two conversations like that to hand the desk personnel a list with the part numbers written down.
              I do the same thing.
              Another annoying aspect of ordering parts is when you call the shop, ask for parts and nobody answers. Usually get fed up and hang up.
              Go out for a ride the next day and stop by the shop in person and the kid at the parts counter can't wait to answer the phone while you are standing there.

Sometimes it is VERY difficult to support the local guy.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yeah, been out to Stones several times. Jack's a nice guy and usually helped out with the older parts when I had the 82 1100. They cut their hours way back recently but still do inspections on Saturday if you just stop in.
                I've stopped the last couple years at PJ's as well for a NYSI. Joe's pretty accommodating.
                2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

That's because there is no MONEY in replacement parts. Stealership parts counters want to sell you dress-up, and accessories. That's where they make money. Very rare to find a parts guy that knows anything about the bikes he is peddling parts for anymore. If you want any kind of service you MUST shop online these days. The brick and mortars are constantly crying about how the internet is killing the "local guys" business, but don't do anything to help themselves. Price gouging is NEVER the solution to good business. It is what it is...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    Me too. That's exactly what I do now.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      That's because there is no MONEY in replacement parts. Stealership parts counters want to sell you dress-up, and accessories. That's where they make money. Very rare to find a parts guy that knows anything about the bikes he is peddling parts for anymore. If you want any kind of service you MUST shop online these days. The brick and mortars are constantly crying about how the internet is killing the "local guys" business, but don't do anything to help themselves. Price gouging is NEVER the solution to good business. It is what it is...
                      You have just hit the nail squarely on the head. While it would be nice to cater to the local dealerships, you just set yourself up to get screwed over. On line is the way to go.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Why not both?

My local Suzuki dealer has an online storefront where I order most of my Suzuki bits. I have to pay 7% state sales tax, but I can skip shipping and pick up my goodies at the dealer. And slobber on some new bikes and gear while I'm there -- always a worthwhile trip.

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/ is the online arm of Westfield Powersports, just north of Indianapolis. Fantastic service, too - always a prompt call if something's backordered or when my stuff shows up.

All the other online parts sellers are the same; a regular dealer that has put up an online storefront to sell parts at a discount. If you wander in and make the parts monkey wake up, you'll pay the full price. Do the work of ordering yourself, and you get the parts a lot cheaper.

As far as stock, it's quite true that dealers stock almost nothing. I never would have expected that switch to be in stock. Even oil filters, where two or three part numbers cover every Suzuki ever made, sometimes aren't in stock.

Dealers have to minimize inventory expenses as much as possible in order to survive; the only dealers left these days are the ones who run a VERY tight ship financially. You can't tie up hundreds of thousands of dollars in parts.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have great experience with my local dealer.

I can walk in, they let me confirm the part on the diagram and they order it for me. Suzuki parts take about a week, then I get a phone call from them notifying me

Plus, I get a discount for being a long time customer

I save the shipping cost, which is a deal when you order $11.40 worth of parts

I never consider that they'll have more than an oil filter in stock, why would they?
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

A decade or so ago, I broke a clutch cable on the way back from Donut Derilicts. Stopped off at Southland Suzuki. My brother had an X6 from there. Two of his friends bought 500 Titans there (one might have been a 500 Cobra). That dealer has been there as long as I can remember. I stopped in, and they had a NOS OEM clutch cable for a 1000G in stock. I go in occasionally. Truth is, my 1000G isn't that hard on parts, so I'm not in that often.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You used to be able to stop in at a Suzuki dealer that had been around a while and find that they would have some GS parts that had been collecting dust for 20 years. For example, Dreyer here in Indy has been around for decades, and ten or fifteen years ago, I was able to find some GS goodies in stock, and they had a huge parts department -- they once dug up a GS850 valve cover gasket with about an inch of dust on the plastic. These days, they might have an oil filter in stock for a newer Suzuki, but no valve shims, valve cover gaskets, etc. Inventory is as lean as possible, and the old parts catacombs have been turned into floor space for selling bikes.

There are very few if any dealers left who haven't liquidated their old inventory and now maintain it at a bare minimum. On the plus side, there are some sellers on fleaBay that specialize in buying up and selling off dusty old parts inventory, so you can find quite a few OEM goodies that would have been impossible to locate before eBay.

There are some amazing aftermarket suppliers, too -- Cycle Recycle II is here in Indy, and stocks tons of new parts as well as used goodies. And of course I think we're all frequent flyers with Z1 Enterprises.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X