Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im thinking of an ignition coil upgrade. Dyna Accel or Andrews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im thinking of an ignition coil upgrade. Dyna Accel or Andrews?

Bike is 1983 GS1100E. Runs great but Im willing to replace the coils IF the replacements will be an upgrade over the originals on the bike. Also I want to to tinker with my big GS and if in 2018 I can add better than OEM coils Id like to do just that. I am curious of 3 brands: Dyna Tek, Andrews and Accel. My goal is long trouble free life on my MI summer toy.

I have used Accel with ZERO issues. I have heard, not only on this forum, but a couple others of Green Dyna's failing. It was usually pretty quick, and Dyna Tech replaced them, but still a hassle in my world. I have to slightly disagree on the no benefit comment, as that is not at all true. Stock coils intensity begins to drop off as the RPM's raise. (look it up) aftermarket coils do not lose power. On a fully stock engine, it is barely, if at all noticeable. Really depends on the coils you are replacing as the drop off is NOT consistent machine to machine... It really is a cost to benefit question. If you can afford it, then go for it. But, as stated, there are other after market mods that should hold priority over the coils, if yours are functioning... The odds that your stock coils will completely fail on you are very slim...
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Mine had Accels on it when I bought it years ago, and it looked like they had been on it for a long time. Knock on wood... they have been working great.
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

May I ask what is the reliable soure for a genuine SH775 regulator? A search here revealed low quality knock offs being sold? On ebay I see the knock offs priced under $40 but then I see from $94 to $264 for an SH775 unit. For the sake of tinkering (I actually have $ to play with) I may buy coils based on price. I believe from most to least price its Accel, Dyna then Andrews.
        Last edited by mharrington; 07-25-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          Bike is 1983 GS1100E. Runs great but Im willing to replace the coils IF the replacements will be an upgrade over the originals on the bike. Also I want to to tinker with my big GS and if in 2018 I can add better than OEM coils Id like to do just that. I am curious of 3 brands: Dyna Tek, Andrews and Accel. My goal is long trouble free life on my MI summer toy.
          Accel coils are larger than Dyna coils, so I had to fab custom brackets to mount the Accel coils on my 83 1100, otherwise, I could not mount the gas tank. I also had to replace the Accel coils twice in less than a year. I would not buy them again. The final coil replacement was Dyna, which lasted for as long as I owned the bike. I've never tried Andrews.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
            May I ask what is the reliable soure for a genuine SH775 regulator? A search here revealed low quality knock offs being sold? On ebay I see the knock offs priced under $40 but then I see from $94 to $264 for an SH775 unit. For the sake of tinkering (I actually have $ to play with) I may buy coils based on price. I believe from most to least price its Accel, Dyna then Andrews.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I cant speak to the others but one of the things i was very happy with in regards to both my dyna coils and ignition is that when I contacted them with questions they responded very quickly. That has to count for something when comparing very similar products.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                I cant speak to the others but one of the things i was very happy with in regards to both my dyna coils and ignition is that when I contacted them with questions they responded very quickly. That has to count for something when comparing very similar products.
                I agree. Like I said earlier, every story I read about Dyna failures also said that Dyna was VERY responsive, and sent the replacement parts right away. I have a set of Accel black coils and have had no issues with them...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I'm probably biased, in that in the 70's I had a 64 Chevel SS, 4-speed that I had dropped a 65 327 into it. After playing with the ignition including hot coils it changed the who character of the beast.
                  It is akin to the charging system and making sure you have all good connections.

That said, if the bike is stock, a change from stock coils will probably not be noticed, but changing to the aftermarket coil is a good starting point for further performance upgrades.

Comment

Great replies- thanks! Customer support of Dyna is excellent. I got prompt replies via email. I think Ill do the SH775 and Dyna coils. Now that my kids are grown and my child support commitment is complete I wanna try the latest quality products on my bike. Bike already has 4 into 1 Vance and Hines with APE oiled filters and Dyno Jet kits in carbs. Runs flawless.

Comment

I've got an 88 GS450l... currently having ignition system issues... started intermitenly, would die when warmed up No Spark! (wait 2+ hours and she'd start right up then repeat)... replace CDI ingitor with ebay OEM part. I've got spark on left side still nothing on right side... (coils tested funny 12.89 on left 17.26 on right) changed caps/ plugs/ battery...
                      At this point I'm stumped, I think my best option is to upgrade to aftermarket ingition system... how do i know what system fits my bike best???
                      Also anyone familiar with Boyer Bransden??? english company with custom make systems???
                      all advice greatly appreciated
                      IMG_2353.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MommaCateye View Post
                        I've got an 88 GS450l... currently having ignition system issues... started intermitenly, would die when warmed up No Spark! (wait 2+ hours and she'd start right up then repeat)... replace CDI ingitor with ebay OEM part. I've got spark on left side still nothing on right side... (coils tested funny 12.89 on left 17.26 on right) changed caps/ plugs/ battery...
                        At this point I'm stumped, I think my best option is to upgrade to aftermarket ingition system... how do i know what system fits my bike best???
                        Also anyone familiar with Boyer Bransden??? english company with custom make systems???
                        all advice greatly appreciated
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]55872[/ATTACH]

17.26 is way too high if it is correct and might be what blew out yoru ignitor.

Get another meter and test the same and start another thread for your bike. Do teh Quick tests and report results but if yo usee anything over 16V the R/R is toast and needs to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaCateye View Post
                          ... (coils tested funny 12.89 on left 17.26 on right)
                          What units of measure? Miles? Kilometers? Acres?

I am going to guess that you were measuring the resistance on the secondary side, and that would be measured in "thousands of ohms" of resistance, or kOhms.

If you were measuring VOLTS, as posplayr was guessing, yeah, 17+ is way to much, but the two coils share a power wire, so they should be the same.

Also, would have been better to start your own thread, instead of interrupting this one.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

whoops... Ill start me post tomorrow TY

Comment

Not sure if there is room under the tanks now but in 1974 I built a cafe 73GT 250. One of the cycle mags did an article on Kmart coils to replace the stockers. Did that on my highly modified,max compression, bored,max ported big carbs, chambers two stroke. $10 for 2 off the shelf coils,wired according to the magazines suggestions,opened plug gap, provided astounding results. Used to take 5 to 10 kicks and sometimes a long hill. After the swap,1 or 2 at most fired it.Idled smooth and never missed up to 11500. These were coils I would not have put on a hi pro car but man did they work on the little Suzook.

Comment

Working...
                              X