GS1100ES vs Aprilia Tuono V Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES vs Aprilia Tuono V Twin

I had the pleasure of making a direct comparison on Sunday between my GS1100ES and what I had already decided would be my next long term ride, the Aprilia Tuono 1000r V-Twin (2007-2010). One of my riding buddies owns one and we rode up 26 and switched bikes on the way back.

The Aprilia felt pretty awkward at first, significantly taller and your knees are locked into the fuel tank—no sliding around. And the V-Twin actually thumped which felt especially weird after getting off the smooth GS in-line four. It was so much lighter that it felt like a toy at first and the steering—well you immediately feel the shorter rake. That and the lower center of gravity and it feels like you can change direction in the middle of any turn at will compared to setting up the heavy GS and holding your line through the turn. The wide 190 rear tire seems to stay planted at every angle effortlessly.

I thought my 1100 had brute torque—and it does—but the Aprilia has brute torque always immediately available in a way that I could not have appreciated until getting back on my own bike.

My friend commented that the GS felt like a cruiser and I can understand why. My backside really appreciated getting back on my own mount and heading home. Like going from a Corvette to a Jaguar sedan.

I hope I can get an Aprilia soon. The two bikes are a terrific contrast. If fact, the only similarity is the number of wheels. But the Aprilia wouldn’t be friendly to a guest on the back and it can’t take you back to 1983!
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Apples and oranges. Both taste good, but are completely different, other than you can eat both. The Aprilla V Twin (Rotax engine) is like the Ducatti or Suzuki TL1000, designed for the V Twin torque, but with horse power also, unlike a cruiser which is all about the torque. I've ridden all three brands and they are all awesome as far a power and agility go, but suck for anyone middle aged or older and want to ride more than 10- 20 minutes (he average time for a heat race), which to me, is all sport bikes were ever designed to be ridden at one time. I'm more than ready to get off most sport bikes after a 20 minute inspection test ride.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

It's always fun to swap bikes for a bit with a trustworthy friend and ride a GS back to back with a modern bike.

I've had the privilege of doing this several times -- a BMW K1600, an FJR1300, an Aprilia DorsoDuro, a VFR800, a CBR600, a TL1000, a BMW R1100S, Triumph Bonneville, DL650A, Bandit 1250, SV650, Harley Road King, and others I've forgotten.

Swaps with other vintage bikes are fun, too. I've sampled close relatives, like a GS850GL, GS1000GL, GS1100GL, GS1000G, GS1100E, GS500, GS250, GS400, and GS1000E, as well as a VF700S, KZ650, TX50, CB350 and many others. I've ridden a few GS850Gs, and they're always familiar yet very different, which is interesting.

Each time, I come back to my GS850G with a sense of gratitude and pride -- when a GS is sorted out, it really is a far more capable machine than it has any right to be. Modern bikes certainly can be lighter, stiffer, more powerful, better brakes, etc. but the gap in real-world function isn't as wide as you might imagine. The one thing I'd really love to have, and I will require on my next new-ish bike, is ABS.

I still have quite a few bikes on my list to sample, too -- never piloted a Gold Wing, a Super Tenere, a Triumph Tiger, a DR650 or 350, a Versys, or a Burgman. I'd also love to try out a CanAm Spyder.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        It's always fun to swap bikes for a bit with a trustworthy friend and ride a GS back to back with a modern bike.

I've had the privilege of doing this several times -- a BMW K1600, an FJR1300, an Aprilia DorsoDuro, a VFR800, a CBR600, a TL1000, a BMW R1100S, Triumph Bonneville, DL650A, Bandit 1250, SV650, Harley Road King, and others I've forgotten.

Swaps with other vintage bikes are fun, too. I've sampled close relatives, like a GS850GL, GS1000GL, GS1100GL, GS1000G, GS1100E, GS500, GS250, GS400, and GS1000E, as well as a VF700S, KZ650, TX50, CB350 and many others. I've ridden a few GS850Gs, and they're always familiar yet very different, which is interesting.

Each time, I come back to my GS850G with a sense of gratitude and pride -- when a GS is sorted out, it really is a far more capable machine than it has any right to be. Modern bikes certainly can be lighter, stiffer, more powerful, better brakes, etc. but the gap in real-world function isn't as wide as you might imagine. The one thing I'd really love to have, and I will require on my next new-ish bike, is ABS.

I still have quite a few bikes on my list to sample, too -- never piloted a Gold Wing, a Super Tenere, a Triumph Tiger, a DR650 or 350, a Versys, or a Burgman. I'd also love to try out a CanAm Spyder.
        You'll love the Burgman and hate the Spyder.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Well, I'd still like to take a spin on a Spyder just to see for myself. But yeah, I've heard that experienced motorcyclists almost universally hate it.

I'd also LOVE to try out an electric bike. Aside from the eye-watering purchase prices, an electric motorcycle would make a LOT of sense for me -- my commute to work is 7 miles of city streets.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X