Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 GSX-1100 Katana, good or bad? Ride report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 GSX-1100 Katana, good or bad? Ride report?

Anybody currently own or previously own a 1998-1992 era Katana 1100? I have an opportunity to buy one, in pretty decent shape, runs good, for exactly $999 bucks. The owner wont budge on his price. The windshield even still goes up and down, has 5,900 original miles. I kinda figure even if I don't like it, I could still pass it on to the next guy without losing any money.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by maicojoe View Post
    Anybody currently own or previously own a 1998-1992 era Katana 1100? I have an opportunity to buy one, in pretty decent shape, runs good, for exactly $999 bucks. The owner wont budge on his price. The windshield even still goes up and down, has 5,900 original miles. I kinda figure even if I don't like it, I could still pass it on to the next guy without losing any money.
    Talk to Garth.(BCCAP). I have one as a donor bike. The are pretty fast, basically early model Bandit engine with 100 less cc. I rode the one I bought around the neighborhood after I got it running again, I'd say it's pretty comfy, but that's what it's designed for, it's not a sportbike, it's a sport tourer.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

more pictures........
      Attached Files

Comment

" The are pretty fast, basically early model Bandit engine with 100 less cc. I rode the one I bought around the neighborhood after I got it running again, I'd say it's pretty comfy, but that's what it's designed for, it's not a sportbike, it's a sport tourer.[/QUOTE]

The specs I see are that the Katana GSX1100F is way more potent engine wise than a Bandit 1200? 136 HP @ 9500 RPM for the Katana, versus 98 HP at the same 9500 RPM for the Bandit. The torque is a similar story, 82.6 lbs torque @ 7000 RPM for the Katana, versus 61.6 lbs torque at 4500 RPM for the Bandit..
        1127cc for the Katana and the Bandit is listed at 1157cc

Comment

The specs I see are that the Katana GSX1100F is way more potent engine wise than a Bandit 1200? 136 HP @ 9500 RPM for the Katana, versus 98 HP at the same 9500 RPM for the Bandit. The torque is a similar story, 82.6 lbs torque @ 7000 RPM for the Katana, versus 61.6 lbs torque at 4500 RPM for the Bandit..
          1127cc for the Katana and the Bandit is listed at 1157cc
          Never looked at the specs. Good to know. If I ever get my engine in my custom '82 1100E, I won't be afraid try to take on one of those Bandit boys.
          Last edited by gsrick; 08-01-2018, 08:47 PM.
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            Never looked at the specs. Good to know. If I ever get my engine in my custom '82 1100E, I won't be afraid try to take on one of those Bandit boys.
            Especially if you use a good pipe and bigger carbs. Any idea what your finished weight will be? I would think the Katana engine would be quite a bit lighter, and a 4-1 pipe, and some GSXR wheels, you might lose 100 # or so off of a stock 1982 GS1100E at about 550 pounds stock?

Comment

Especially if you use a good pipe and bigger carbs. Any idea what your finished weight will be? I would think the Katana engine would be quite a bit lighter, and a 4-1 pipe, and some GSXR wheels, you might lose 100 # or so off of a stock 1982 GS1100E at about 550 pounds stock?
              Nah, it's one of those back burner projects. I have tooooo many of those. lol
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Had one for years, good bike lots of power, front end is sprung very softly.
                I liked it a lot.
                1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                New project 1979 GS1000S
                Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

So many dumb questions…Like; The 69 Camaro SS, good or bad, ride report?
                  Just buy a damn bike and shut up already!!!
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I had 1988 Kat. Only sold it because it was too big for me now in my current condition. Bullet proof engine and plenty fast. Comfortable touring bike. Especially with the Corbin saddle I had on it. Not a nimble canyon carver but adequate handling. I quite enjoyed mine......
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                    X