Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everybody

Just thought i would say hello.

I purchased a 1979 GS550E today for $200 owner said its been sitting since 1985 and it has a few issues. But I am hoping to get it up and running by next summer. The good thing is when i turn the key the all the lights work and i was able to push it in gear so the motor is not seized up. Bike only has 11,000 miles on it.

The bad, the gas tank has more rust in it than anything i have ever seen hoping to salvage it. Pulled the carbs off of her, who ever made it so hard in japan should be smacked up beside his head. the carbs have a thick black coating in them and the bulls are half full of it. It is very hard like solid ruber and the fuel that was in the carbs has a green antifreeze tint to it. They also smell like rotten eggs so im guessing he drained the tank and not the carbs. Another problem i have found is none of the hand controls work, the lights, horn and start button dont do anything. The brake for the back tire is also seized guessing bad master cylinder. The last thing so far is when i tried draining the oil nothing came out but there is oil in her

I am sure i will be asking alot of questions once I finish my 85 Rebel restoration project. Only thing left for it is a new gas tank and some paint. I like old vehicles and projects so i found old bike can be had cheap so i seem to be starting a collection.

Attached a picture of it.
    Attached Files

Welcome! You've come to the right place. Best of luck on your restoration, and don't hesitate to ask questions. This place is full of people with more knowledge than you'll ever need!

Cheers!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Down load you a manual from bikecliffs website. You'll also find a lot of tutorials there that will help you along the way. I don't know if you have Ollies near you, but they had cans of carb dip for $10 and you are definitely going to need it unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner. If not most auto parts stores carry it for around $20. Gunk and Berrymans brand are practically the same thing and come in gallon sized paint cans with a basket inside for all the tiny parts.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Welcome!

Now, that's a $200 bike! It's got "L" model written all over it. The seat and the small peanut tank are the two items I noticed.

Enjoy the rebuild. There are plenty here to assist and many references to help you take on this task.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the funhouse.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Nice bike for 200 dollars.

Comment

Welcome. I don't want to burst your bubble, but you don't have a 550E.

If the bike in the picture is the bike you purchased, it's a 550L.

Still a decent bike, but not quite the same, especially when it comes to ordering certain parts. The major differences are that your L has leading-axle forks, smaller headlight (with a chrome bucket), smaller, tear-drop-shaped tank, taller (and rather uncomfortable) handlebars, stepped seat, shorter mufflers, no plastic tail section and a chrome rear fender.

Your L:

A '79 550E:

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome. Looks like you got a deal with that. Not so far gone that it can't come back.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I only got a bill of sale when i purchased it and it said gs550e still has the vin plate with the info on it so i will go check that in the morning. Hope it dont cause any problems when getting it inspected and a title for it.

This is my first vintage Suzuki so appreciate that i got the right model now. glad i figured that out before i start ordering parts for it. I am most surprised that it still has all the stickers on it. I am waiting till Tuesday to really start messing with it. it came with out a title so the State Troopers need to do a vin inspection on it. hoping its not stolen but it has happened to people before.

Comment

Working...
                  X